This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

oil pressure valve?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

oil pressure valve?

Postby gusbratz » Tue May 07, 2013 6:51 pm

to be honest i don't watch my oil pressure like a hawk but i glanced at it today and it was 0. Last time i looked at it i thought it was good. i checked my oil level and it was in the operating range, althoug it does smoke and burn a bit. i started the machine back up and the needle comes up out of the red to the O in OILPRESSURE on the dial face then promply goes right back to nothing and sits there? is there an oil pressure valve with a little spring i can take apart and stretch the spring out some to boost my pressure?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: oil pressure valve?

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue May 07, 2013 6:56 pm

Pages 54- 56 in the GSS-1411 manual show the oil pump and pressure regulator valve: http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%2 ... index.html

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby gusbratz » Tue May 07, 2013 7:03 pm

thanks, thats just the stuff i was looking for.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue May 07, 2013 7:06 pm

That repeatable? It is strange behavior. I would either test the pressure gauge or substitute a known good one before digging into something else. I have heard of more bad gauges than bad pressure relief valves.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue May 07, 2013 7:32 pm

Yep to what Jim says.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby gusbratz » Wed May 08, 2013 11:19 am

I switched the pressure gauge with my other cub and it was fine, then I took the oil regulator apart and it looked good. then I checked my oil and it was at the low line. so I added a quart and discovered that if the dipstick is indications faceing up I am not even on the stick. but if it's indications down I am in the operating range. so I added a 2nd qt and am still not on the stick numbers up but numbers down I am in the middle. then I started it up and pressure is at the top of the gauge. so I guess i'm and idot and need to figure out how to check the oil. by the way the stick on my other cub is way longer and it won't work in this one.... not sure whats up with that.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed May 08, 2013 11:32 am

Gus:

The Owner's Manual does not indicate clearly the orientation of the markings on the dip stick but I have always assumed that the indicators should be up simply because down doesn't correctly indicate the level of the oil.

gusbratz wrote:by the way the stick on my other cub is way longer and it won't work in this one.... not sure whats up with that.

There was a design change later on .. the TC-37 series should spell that out in one of the revisions.

Thanks for posting your findings. As mentioned, problems is usually with the gauge.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed May 08, 2013 11:47 am

Dip stick reading oil level in crank case. On my Cubs I have to ensure that the dip stick cap is fully seated on the oil filler tube to get a reasonably accurate reading.

Dip stick orientation. As long as the dip stick cap is fully seated there should be very little difference in oil level reading.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed May 08, 2013 1:12 pm

gusbratz wrote: then I checked my oil and it was at the low line. so I added a quart and discovered that if the dipstick is indications faceing up I am not even on the stick. but if it's indications down I am in the operating range. so I added a 2nd qt and am still not on the stick numbers up but numbers down I am in the middle. then I started it up and pressure is at the top of the gauge.

You added 2 quarts and it still isn't full? It only holds 3 quarts. The oil level was so low that it barely picked up any when first started. As soon as some oil was spread through the engine, thre wasn't enough left in the pan for more to be picked up.

I suggest you read the entire maintenance section of the owner's manual then start doing what it says when it says.

birddog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54515

Postby birddog » Wed May 08, 2013 5:46 pm

Easiest way to find out the level on the dipstick is to change the oil. Drain, refill with required amount, start and run for a couple minutes, shut down and wait 10 - 15 minutes and see how it reads. That way you know exactly how it shows on your particular dip stick.

From my own experience I have seen where dip stick orientation can make quite a difference, but not on all machines.
Mark "birddog" Birdeau
Circle of Safety

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu May 09, 2013 10:06 am

Dip stick should for a 90 degree angle to the cap. If it it is bent so that it isn't a 90 then orientation will give different readings neither of which will be correct.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Farmall Cub”