This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Starter contact

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Starter contact

Postby Chris Jones » Wed May 08, 2013 7:21 pm

The copper contact on top the starter is worn bad and sometimes the pull switch will not work. The switch looks ok inside it. Can the contact be turn around if I unsolder it field leads from it? Is i worth the work? How is it held in the housing?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Starter contact

Postby Eugene » Wed May 08, 2013 8:09 pm

Parts manual shows the contact on top of the starter as a stud with a nut. So, if the parts manuals are correct, the field lead is not soldered, and the stud can be turned around.

Before you do tear into the starter, check the switch assembly that sits on top of the starter motor. Frequently the switch assembly can be replaced and the contact on top of the starter motor polished up. Also, some times the switch assembly is adjustable, and can add a bit of length to it's throw.-- Check the inside of the switch assembly to see if it's adjustable.

The switch assembly is normally available at most auto parts stores.
I have an excuse. CRS.

mcjibtmj
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13808
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCUB

Postby mcjibtmj » Wed May 08, 2013 9:41 pm

I always had problems with the starter when I first got my cub 3 years ago. I even had the starter rebuilt ($$ not my idea $$) and a new switch was added and I was still having problems. It turned out that I wasn't getting a good ground to the battery. I now have the ground wire from the battery long enough to bolt right to block at the starter, 2 years later & it starts every time.

It's frustrating when the Cub won't start and you don't know why!

Good Luck,
Joe

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Wed May 08, 2013 9:58 pm

I just clean the contact with a wire brush. Of I have built up the contact before with a little copper wire and small butane torch.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Thu May 09, 2013 5:33 am

You should be able to build up the contact like leerenovations states, or yes you can go in the starter and unsolder the leads and turn it around, a bit of a pan, but if it is almost gone on the contact side you may have to tackle it, or contact a starter shop and see how much it would cost to replace.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu May 09, 2013 7:07 am

Chris:

A good olde tyme Auto Electric Repair shop should be able to handle it. As I mentioned before, I am lucky in that I have a local AC Delco Authorized Service Centre and they do fantastic work at very good prices. Take the starter in and get it checked. They should be able to fix it for a very reasonable price.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

CharlieK
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40165

Postby CharlieK » Thu May 09, 2013 8:25 am

in my dealings with the copper contact on top of the starter CANNOT be turned around--it is not designed that away-drug one of my cubs out last week and had to buy the piece that makes contact with the top of the starter which had no bracket for the lever. parts store apologized so am starting cub by thumb pushing of plunger or stick pushing of plunger--that makes 2 cubs that have to be started that way--wifie does not like cubs that have to be started differently--JMMHO
get er done; life is good

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu May 09, 2013 8:47 am

Why wouldn't it be reversible? A new contact is pretty much symmetrical on top. You wear one side out, turn it around, and wear the other side out.

Return to “Farmall Cub”