This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Drive gear came adrift from touch control pump - FIXED

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073
Circle of Safety: Y

Drive gear came adrift from touch control pump - FIXED

Postby bythepond88 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:40 pm

Hydraulics stopped working, so I drained it and pulled the pump and found that the nut and gear came loose. Fortunately the gear has not fallen into the oi pan. So, I have three questions for the collective wisdom:

1. Is the locking washer application specific, or something I should be able to source at the local hardware or parts store?

2. Is the Jam nut application specific, or something I should be able to source at the local hardware or parts store?

3. The drive gear seems to have slipped forward of the cam drive gear. I tried to winkle the gear out with a magnet wand, but without success. Does anyone know any trips or tricks for extracting the gear without it falling into the oil pan?
Last edited by bythepond88 on Sat May 11, 2013 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Re: Drive gear came adrift from touch control pump

Postby ricky racer » Fri May 10, 2013 9:07 pm

Let it fall into the pan. Remove the pan and retrieve it, the nut and washer and reassemble it to the pump and you're back in business. All it will cost you is a new pan gasket. While you've got the pan off, you can clean out 50 years worth of crud from the bottom of the pan.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri May 10, 2013 9:36 pm

I have seen enough of them where the gear came off that I have started putting Loctite on the nut when I reassemble. of course there is no way of knowing if someone had been in before and did not bend the washer over, or if with time it works loose.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sat May 11, 2013 6:47 am

An ordinary nut should work but you do need the special tanged washer, which bends over the nut to lock it in place. I too would use Loctite.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat May 11, 2013 9:27 am

nuts with locking threads also are an option.

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bythepond88 » Sat May 11, 2013 12:18 pm

Thank you for the replies. I was able to retrieve the gear by slipping a piece of 3/8 inch rod into the gear, and wiggling until it meshed with the cam gear and walking it back out. The woodruff key was still on the lip of the opening for the pump, so I retrieved that, too, but the nut and washer are in the pan. The pan gasket is not available locally, and I really need to get her back in operation so I can mow the grass (our house is currently on the market).

John, do you think Loc-tite is sufficient, or do you use it in conjunction with the washer?
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat May 11, 2013 12:53 pm

I use the Loctite in conjunction with the washer, but if you use a flexible magnet you may be able to fish it out of the front of the pan. Check your local hardware store, they may have a fine thread lock nut available to use on it. it is a 3/8 x24 thread.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat May 11, 2013 1:21 pm

3/8"-24 NTE 18-8 Stainless Steel Jam Nylon Insert Lock Nut, Fastenal Part Number 0171004, 82 cents.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bythepond88 » Sat May 11, 2013 1:52 pm

I was able to get a thin profile nylon insert locknut at the local Ace (19 cents). I will try to fish the washer out. If that is unsuccessful, I will use the Loc-tite and try to cobble something together in the nature of a tabbed washer to tide me through this week-end until I can get a new gasket and drop the pan.
Michael Cummings

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat May 11, 2013 4:30 pm

If you're using a nylon lock nut, you should be able to get by with a standard washer. If you want the extra security, get a thin washer and pry one edge up. The tabbed washers are mighty expensive at $28. :shock:

Photo courtesy TM Tractor Parts
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Drive gear came adrift from touch control pump - FIXED

Postby bythepond88 » Sat May 11, 2013 7:03 pm

Thanks to John's suggestion, I was able to retrieve the washer and nut, although through the oil pan drain. I tried in front, but they had already migrated to just under the oil pump pickup. i had to manipulate them with the "magnet on a stick", then grab them with a needlenose.

Even though I had the locknut, I ended up with using the original jam nut with locktite, brcause I had so much friction tightening the locknut that the special washer kept getting knocked up out of the keyway. I used the red full-strength Loc-tite.

I can't blame this on any PO, because I had previouly re-built the pump due to the dreaded "leaking past the pump seal" syndrome. (Thank you to the forum to helping me figure that out.)

On the previous rebuild, I had remembered to bend the washer up against the nut, but apparently not well enouth. This time, I used the red Loc-tite, and bent the washer up on two sides, crimping it home with the channel-locks.

Hopefulli, I will not have to deal with this agaain, and it will be my childrens' problem if it happens again, (My son and daugheter have both laid a claim to Eddie - she has been in the family since first purchased.)

Thanks again to all responders. I'd have a much tougher time without you! :{_}:
Michael Cummings

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sat May 11, 2013 7:21 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sat May 11, 2013 7:31 pm

I think a nylon lock nut is not the best choice at engine temperatures. I would use an aircraft style like this distorted thread style made for up to 450 degrees

or a split top like this.

Return to “Farmall Cub”