This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub lo boy 1963 question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
eagle421flyer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60491
Tractors Owned: 1963 IH Low Boy

Cub lo boy 1963 question

Postby eagle421flyer » Sat May 11, 2013 10:52 am

I recently acquired a 63 cub lo boy and while some restoration work has been some has not. Overall the tractor runs well I cut a few acres of grass last week with her and she ran fine. Parked the tractor for the week while I was away at work and now rear dif/trans lube leaking out of the drain holes on the outboard dif. I know that the final drive gears are located in close to that drain and I am trying to figure out whether it is some old lube from there or it is from the trans. Fluid level in the trans does not appear to be down. But a little becomes a lot. Love the tractor and your site thanks for the help!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Cub lo boy 1963 question

Postby cub47 » Sat May 11, 2013 11:46 am

The final drives (the castings your rear wheels bolt to) are lubricated by a separate reservoir from that of the transmission and PTO. Can you be more specific where the leaking is occurring? There are seals and gaskets in several locations on the final drives that can fail.

Pics of a final drive housing from TM Tractor:

http://www.tm-tractor.com/gfi/rahousing1_001.htm

eagle421flyer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby eagle421flyer » Sat May 11, 2013 11:57 am

The leak is from the drain holes located at the bottom outboard edges of the rear differential (the small gear housing portion).
Thanks for the help

eagle421flyer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby eagle421flyer » Sat May 11, 2013 12:31 pm

I would also say that the fluid seems to be contaminated with water. Hy trans is suppose to be used in the tranny and rear diff? The fluid appears to be thicker like a rear diff gear oil found on a car. I did service the hydraulic reservoir under the gas tank with hy tran for the lift. Learning as I go and looking at manuals on this site as well. Thanks again

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby RaymondDurban » Sat May 11, 2013 1:08 pm

The fluid you are seeing is probably coming from the transmission. Water has more than likely raised the level inside the case and it leaking out. I recommend to drain and flush the transmission case with kerosine/diesel and then refill to the level plug on the left side of the case.
You can use Hy-Tran or gear oil in both the transmission and final drives.

eagle421flyer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby eagle421flyer » Sat May 11, 2013 1:42 pm

Thanks so much for the help... I will do that and I went out and bought some fresh oil and will flush it out.
I always wanted a Farmall/low boy and now that I have 5 acres plus horses etc it will come in handy.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sat May 11, 2013 8:05 pm

Well I'm thoroughly confused. :? :? :?
This is a LOBOY right?
Where is it leaking? I just can't get my mind around
eagle421flyer wrote:The leak is from the drain holes located at the bottom outboard edges of the rear differential (the small gear housing portion)........
is this the axle tube extension that the battery and seat bolts to?

The transmission, rear differential, (and PTO innards) are all housed inside the same "container" of lubricant be it 90w or HyTran either is acceptable. The left final drive lubricant is a separate "container" and the right final drive is its own "container" as well.

I think the advice given will probably lead to a solution but I wonder about
eagle421flyer wrote:......... Fluid level in the trans does not appear to be down..........
Typically the common scenario everybody is thinking, water in the transmission, would have the transmission over full. How exactly are you checking the level? Do you use the transmission fill level plug on the left side of the transmission or are you looking down the fill hole behind the gearshift? Maybe it's just to full of oil, wouldn't be the first one if it is.

Return to “Farmall Cub”