This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Left Brake Replacement on Lowboy

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

Left Brake Replacement on Lowboy

Postby DonMountain » Mon May 13, 2013 10:45 am

I have a Cub LoBoy I am not sure what year it is. It's red with the rounded engine hood and has a Fast Hitch. Maybe a 1959? Anyway, the left brake does not work and when I push the pedal down it goes all the way down like the operating rod broke off the brake ring inside the tractor. Is there anyway to look into this from the outside to see what broke? I bought a new one several years ago but haven't replaced it yet. And now for the big question. How do I replace it? What has to come off? Anybody have a recommended proceedure? My wife uses it to mow all the time and complains about the left brake not working. And I guess it is a safety issue. And she has several acres to mow with it. :help:
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Left Brake Replacement on Lowboy

Postby Dale Finch » Mon May 13, 2013 11:04 am

Although I have a regular cub, I did just replaced the lining on my left final. I plan to post a How To possibly this evening with photos, but it is rather time consuming because my computer and Photobucket do not seem to like each other!!

Unfortunately, the only way to access the brake is to remove the final. At least the left one is less complicated than the right! In my case, the lock bolt that holds the brake drum in place had broken, allowing the drum to migrate inboard, actually rubbing the differential seal retainer bolts. Also, since the brake band was barely on the drum, it had worn unevenly and was falling apart. Though the rivets had begun scraping, little damage had been done. I had a replacement brake lining from Bob McCarty (MANY THANKS, BOB!) which I put on after cleaning everything up.

If you are near any of the cubfests scheduled you could take your tractor and have help doing this in a flash! It's doable by yourself, but tedious and MUCH more fun with a group!

Good luck! Hopefully Lo Boy person will speak up!
Last edited by Dale Finch on Mon May 13, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Mon May 13, 2013 11:06 am

Well I have mine down right now, you will need to remove the final then you are right at the brake assy, with the FH it is going to be a fair amount of work
Jim Turner

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon May 13, 2013 11:45 am

If you haven't done a brake job before on your Cub - be sure to wedge the front axle to the bolster and use substantial support or cribbing.

Use the search function at top of page, search for brake band replacement or similar wording.

Might want to replace the seals on the side of the transmission while you are there. Probably should replace the brake band on the opposite side.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon May 13, 2013 2:30 pm

Here's a link to a "how to" done by Bill E Bob: viewtopic.php?f=142&t=47423 The latter part of it shows the brake components. As Eugene mentioned, you need to wedge the front axle or risk having the Cub roll over .

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DonMountain » Mon May 13, 2013 4:00 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:Here's a link to a "how to" done by Bill E Bob: viewtopic.php?f=142&t=47423 The latter part of it shows the brake components. As Eugene mentioned, you need to wedge the front axle or risk having the Cub roll over .

Bob

Ok, I looked at this thread and the good pictures of the final drive. It looks like all I need to do is unbolt and disconnect anything I can easily off the final drive, like the fender, wheel, brake rod and mower clamps on the bottom (after blocking up the tractor securely). And then just unbolt the final drive and pull out the axel from the frame? How much does the final drive weigh? Can two boys get front and back of it and pick it up off the frame and set it down to do the brake work? Doesn't look too bad. Looks easier than the head gasket job I just did on the boys 4 cylinder Chevy car engine. So he owes me some help on the Cub brakes on his grandmother's Cub right? :mrgreen:
1950 Farmall M

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon May 13, 2013 6:30 pm

mountain4don wrote: How much does the final drive weigh?
The tire, rim and wheel weights will be the heaviest part of the job. The left final itself is not that heavy, guessing 60 or 70 lbs. And not a bad, reasonably strong, one person job.

Right side is a different story, much heavier and awkward. Shop crane job or two young stout folks.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Mon May 13, 2013 9:05 pm

I finally got the first half of my final removal/brake replacement posted. http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78421 Although it was for a standard Cub, most info (I think) should apply. Second half MAYBE tonight if I can stay awake!

BTW, I am able to do almost ALL this kind of work by myself with the use of an engine hoist and strap...best purchase I have made to work on these Cubs! Easily handles the wheel with the weight for removal AND installation. Final isn't THAT heavy, and I can lift it, but it is no fun trying to get things lined up safely by yourself without a hoist! Of course you could do it even easier at a cubfest with lots of help from folks!

Good luck!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DonMountain » Mon May 13, 2013 9:25 pm

Dale Finch wrote:I finally got the first half of my final removal/brake replacement posted. http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78421 Although it was for a standard Cub, most info (I think) should apply. Second half MAYBE tonight if I can stay awake!

BTW, I am able to do almost ALL this kind of work by myself with the use of an engine hoist and strap...best purchase I have made to work on these Cubs! Easily handles the wheel with the weight for removal AND installation. Final isn't THAT heavy, and I can lift it, but it is no fun trying to get things lined up safely by yourself without a hoist! Of course you could do it even easier at a cubfest with lots of help from folks!

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. But what is a "Cubfest"? I am not sure taking an old tractor to a show in hopes that someone will help me work on it would be a good thing. Then I would spend all my time fooling with my tractor rather than enjoying the affair. Plus I have all the tools in my shop. Now if I can just fit the Cub in the shop between all the tools. So, where are these "Cubfests" held? I live in Mid-Missouri. :mrgreen:
1950 Farmall M

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon May 13, 2013 9:34 pm

Here's this year's calendar for Cubfests: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=75279 Cubfests are actually designed to help each other work on their Cubs. A lot of folks will bring a non-running tractor to a Cubfest and drive it onto their trailer for the ride home.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Mon May 13, 2013 9:37 pm

mountain4don wrote:
Dale Finch wrote:I finally got the first half of my final removal/brake replacement posted. http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78421 Although it was for a standard Cub, most info (I think) should apply. Second half MAYBE tonight if I can stay awake!

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. But what is a "Cubfest"? I am not sure taking an old tractor to a show in hopes that someone will help me work on it would be a good thing. Then I would spend all my time fooling with my tractor rather than enjoying the affair. Plus I have all the tools in my shop. Now if I can just fit the Cub in the shop between all the tools. So, where are these "Cubfests" held? I live in Mid-Missouri. :mrgreen:

An old tractor is just what you need to take to a CubFest... you won't regret it!

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51111

You live in Mid-Missouri... well... :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=77721

Good luck,
David

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon May 13, 2013 9:42 pm

https://sites.google.com/site/midmoshowmecubfest/

Above, link to a Cubfest in California, Mo. this weekend.

Your zip code shows Red Oak, Iowa.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Mon May 13, 2013 10:19 pm

Eugene wrote:https://sites.google.com/site/midmoshowmecubfest/

Above, link to a Cubfest in California, Mo. this weekend.

Your zip code shows Red Oak, Iowa.

Even if you ARE in Red Oak, Google says only 4+ hours away...IT IS USUALLY WORTH IT!! You learn a lot and may get a lot of work done with fun, knowledgeable folks!!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon May 13, 2013 10:44 pm

mountain4don wrote:Thanks for the info. But what is a "Cubfest"? I am not sure taking an old tractor to a show in hopes that someone will help me work on it would be a good thing. Then I would spend all my time fooling with my tractor rather than enjoying the affair. Plus I have all the tools in my shop.

Don't worry about bringing tools. The host usually has a well equipped shop. Here is a link to some photo albums of past CubFests to get an idea what you will find at many fests. http://photos.cubfest.com/index.php?cat=17
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”