This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

FH Mott - Looks Like A More Extensive Project

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

FH Mott - Looks Like A More Extensive Project

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue May 14, 2013 8:29 pm

Got a FH Mott that I just finished converting to a different style knife. I took it for a test drive down the backyard and back to the Cubhouse. A bit more noise than I liked, however it cut nicely. I'm going to be using it hard, so the prudent thing to do is drain the gearbox, flush with kerosene, and then replace with 90W gear oil. The oil did not drain out readily, thick and nasty. Undaunted, add the kero and take the Cub outside and let it idle for 10 minutes with the PTO in gear. As I was preparing to take it outside, I just gave the PTO shaft a twist, about a quarter of a revolution and it LOCKED UP!! :( :( Not a real good sign, fortunately it was not under power.

After draining and taking the gearbox off I heard something rattling in the gearbox. Not totally unanticipated given the gearbox had locked up. This is what I found loose in the gearbox:

I also found a chipped gear:

So far I haven't found the chipped tooth, however, I'm confident that it is in the bottom of my parts cleaner. This is going to take longer that anticipated. :lol: :lol:

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Re: FH Mott - Looks Like A More Extensive Project

Postby tst » Tue May 14, 2013 9:15 pm

Bill, those parts are the same as a right angle drive unit
Tim

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue May 14, 2013 9:21 pm

tst wrote:Bill, those parts are the same as a right angle drive unit
Tim

Yes, Tim, I have a right angle drive that may just find its way to the Mott. Haven't made the final decision yet. Thanks.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed May 15, 2013 5:41 pm

I feel your pain Bill...

It is only a Cub right angle pulley.... . I took the one from the Cub's mower off last fall and found the teeth on that same gear were very worn. Of course, after I had put the bearings and seals in the dang thing. I would guess that someone left out some spacers somewhere along the line.

BTW, pull the gear off the shaft and remove the woodruff key before pressing the shaft out if you open up the other gearbox.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed May 15, 2013 9:23 pm

Got the right angle drive off the shelf, checked it out on the bench and it checked out fine. Drained it out and put it on the Mott. Put a little kero in and ran it for five minutes, dumped the kero and replaced with 90W. Small test run in the backyard, no runs, no drips, no errors --- I'm good-to-go. Loaded the trailer and drove to my son's.

I'm not a happy camper!!! :evil: :evil: 90W on the top of the Mott. Drastically reduced the amount I was going to mow and gave it a go. Mower works nice and will be just what he needs. Load up and take it home to the Cubhouse for seals. I'm tempted to replace ALL (as in every one on the mower) the bearings while I "have the hood off." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Isn't this fun?????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill
Bill

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed May 15, 2013 9:48 pm

Murphy's Law. :(

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu May 16, 2013 8:44 am

Guess I better get the updated parts list to Don McCombs....

The two outside bearings are 6205-J (open) and I found a source for the roller bearing.....
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu May 16, 2013 9:56 am

Buzzard Wing wrote:Guess I better get the updated parts list to Don McCombs....

The two outside bearings are 6205-J (open) and I found a source for the roller bearing.....

Waiting. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue May 28, 2013 7:25 pm

Got the Mott all tuned up and it mows fine. Now the Touch Control went south! This is a Cub that I bought and have not gone through yet. I'm disappointed. :( The Cub runs like a top.

Bill
Bill

Return to “Farmall Cub”