This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tune up nightmares

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cdrake
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20854

Tune up nightmares

Postby cdrake » Mon May 20, 2013 8:38 pm

Previously, I was able to start my tractor, but it would die like there was no gas. Switched carbs and no change, so didn't think that this was a fuel problem, hence the "tune up" option-maybe it's a bad condenser, etc?

So, I attempted to do a tune up on my Cub with J4 magneto: new points, plugs, condenser, wires.
Now, no spark to the plugs; however, when I remove the disty cap and the rotor and plate , I crank and I get spark at the points. Have NOT replaced the cap or rotor (but like I said, it was at least starting before, so don't think it's these?)

By the way (showing my ignorance) what exactly does the magneto do? it certainly wasn't in play when the rotor and plate were off, and the points still sparked when I cranked. Does it boost the voltage? BTW, no spark coming from Magneto upon cranking either.

Any input appreciated!

Charlie Drake, Potomac, MD :help:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Tune up nightmares

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon May 20, 2013 9:19 pm

A magneto does not amplify spark, it produces it. Did you have spark from the coil tower before the tune up? Do you get spark from the coil now? The rotor does have to be timed.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby bythepond88 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:52 am

Just because the carb swap didn't solve the problem doesn't mean it's not gas related. It could be trash in the tank that's settling over the outlet when you open the shutoff.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

BobM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02536

Postby BobM » Tue May 21, 2013 12:12 pm

I had the same experience you are having and jumped from one perceived problem to another to no avail. Finally I adopted the KISS (keep it simple) theory. Starting at the fuel tank, I installed an in tank filter, a new fuel strainer assembly, an new steel fuel line, cleaned the carb and the metering valve following all the advice on each of those subjects on this forum. That was after pulling the head and freeing up sticky valves and adjusting them and checking the points, putting the spark plug wires in the correct order, etc, etc., etc. Results of my starting at the beginning, going step by step, and not jumping around I now have a perfectly running Cub. Don't get caught up in one problem after another. Start at the beginning and go thru it all. The results will be worth it.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue May 21, 2013 2:40 pm

Charlie:

I gotta echo BobM .. he has it down. Start at the beginning and work forward.

BobM wrote:I had the same experience you are having and jumped from one perceived problem to another to no avail. Finally I adopted the KISS (keep it simple) theory.

• Starting at the fuel tank, I installed an in tank filter, a new fuel strainer assembly, an new steel fuel line, cleaned the carb and the metering valve following all the advice on each of those subjects on this forum.
  • That was after pulling the head and freeing up sticky valves and adjusting them
  • and checking the points,
  • putting the spark plug wires in the correct order, etc, etc., etc.

Results of my starting at the beginning, going step by step, and not jumping around I now have a perfectly running Cub. Don't get caught up in one problem after another. Start at the beginning and go thru it all. The results will be worth it.

These articles in the CBoK might be useful to you.

Keep us posted as to what helps in your situation.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”