This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

woods 42-c4 mower deck belt and deck adjustment questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

woods 42-c4 mower deck belt and deck adjustment questions

Postby gusbratz » Thu May 23, 2013 6:34 pm

i picked up a couple neglected cubs last winter and am trying to get them into working shape. one has a woods 42-c4 mower deck on it. it needs a new belt and i was wondering if a B scheduele V belt or double V belt is better. the belt measures 140 inches long. is this the correct lenght or is it badly stretched? i will oreder one here. http://www.vbelts4less.com/
my second question is the angel of the deck. i read an artical about brush hogs saying that if the front of the deck is 1/8 inch lower than the back then a blade of grass will be cut 1 time by the leading edge of the blade. the blade will then rotate all the way around until comeing into contact with the cutting area in the front again. on the other hand if you adjust it so it is 1/8" lower in the back then a blade of grass will be cut shorter and shorter as the deck passes across it. the blade will never be out of the cut. the artical claimed a deck that was lower in the back takes 80% more power to operate. i would like to adjust this deck so it is angled towred the front. has anyone done this? right now it is at a real exreame back angle. hope that makes sense. thanks.gus

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: woods 42-c4 mower deck belt and deck adjustment question

Postby Rudi » Thu May 23, 2013 7:43 pm

Gus:

42C-4 Rotary Mower

And yes, if the back of the deck is lower then the blades are cutting at least twice and end up using substantially more power to cut the grass. The front should be lower than the back - and front should be about 1/4" higher than the minimum height that you want the grass to be left at. At least that is how I was taught to set up a deck. From a military perspective the angle of attack is always forward never to the rear :lol: :wink: :)
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby gusbratz » Fri May 24, 2013 5:40 am

thanks rudi, i really appreciate all the manuals you have taken the time to put up for us. i used the 1469 woods part number out of that manual and found a listing for the belt on that discount belt site. http://www.vbelts4less.com/1469--REPLAC ... 19900.html

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri May 24, 2013 7:22 am

Listed at $22.64 plus shipping for me is $12.04 = total $34.68

Local Napa store instock from online listing $35.09 with tax about $37.90.
I can see what I'm buying and I can have it in my hands in 15 minutes including the drive to the store. Plus I am supporting a local business. Have three other parts stores nearby, could check with them as well maybe a better price? You may not have such easy access to parts stores, or don't have the time due to work hours, or some other reason which is fine. Just thought I'd point out that the online stuff isn't always such a great deal. Yes I do buy things online, including ebay where lots of times on new items if you do a google search on the item you'll find the same item through an online store for cheaper. Done it several times.

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:18 am

I would suggest to only purchase Woods brand belts for a Woods mower. In my experience, other brands are not always made for a mower deck use where they require a twist. They will not track properly and can wear excessively. Had a person call me a few weeks ago that could not figure out how to keep his Woods 42 belt from coming off. He had purchased a new NAPA belt, PTO pulley, idler assembly, etc., and was at a loss as to how to resolve it. I told him I would bet a Woods belt would fix his problem, I sent him a used one and it has worked flawlessly.

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:20 am

Most Case/IH dealers can order Woods parts and products.

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby gusbratz » Fri May 24, 2013 12:35 pm

i ordered one off ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/REPLACEMENT-BEL ... 310wt_1003 i like shopping online so i don't have to waste time and gas driveing all over town to get stuff. i like that the ups guy brings it to me. i feel special. thanks guys.

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Fri May 24, 2013 4:39 pm

FWIW, I purchased the current belt on my Woods 59 at Napa for about 60% of the price of the Woods belt. So far it has lasted 4 years with no problems (and a 59 has a 3/4 twist on the return to the mule drive).
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri May 24, 2013 7:59 pm

Gus:

Thanks for the kind words, they are much appreciated. Glad you were able to find what you needed :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”