This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

highway driving in the hills

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

highway driving in the hills

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat May 25, 2013 12:57 pm

The only time any of my cubs are ever on a public road is driving from the unloading spot to the beginning of a parade, or driving from the end of the parade to the show location. I made an SMV sign mount for each cub and just put the sign on whichever one I am going to drive. Yesterday however I agreed to mow some weeds around the house of a 91 year old neighbor who has had some health problems. He on lives a mile away, half of which is a lightly traveled county road. The half mile of state highway is bad however, narrow with no shoulder, and just after turning on to it there is a rise, then you fall (steep downgrade) off the other side into a 1 1/2 mile long valley. Not wanting to load and tie it down for such a short trip I dug around in my junk, and came up with this flag from an old handicap scooter, and combined with a couple thin wooden wedges I added it to the sign so people could see me further over the hill.
Not sure, but I do not think the sign is mounted according to Mo. regulations, but it is more visible in this position than centered behind the tractor. Note, this is the county road, not much traffic where I stopped to take the picture.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

DieselDennis
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39042
eBay ID: ccbil
Tractors Owned: '48 Cub (Great Granddaddy's)
And some bigger ones.....

Re: highway driving in the hills

Postby DieselDennis » Sat May 25, 2013 3:36 pm

Is that a rear view mirror mounted up there on the hood? That shiny thing right on this side of the muffler.
'48 Cub 12V Conversion, Zenith Carb, Electronic Ignition

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jackman » Sat May 25, 2013 3:49 pm

Nice Cub nice scenery excellent picture :big afro:

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat May 25, 2013 4:05 pm

DieselDennis wrote:Is that a rear view mirror mounted up there on the hood? That shiny thing right on this side of the muffler.

It looks like it could be a Mirror/Basket/Cup Holder combo from when Rick Prentice was still in business as KubKraft.

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat May 25, 2013 4:18 pm

The mirror is so that John can comb his hair while he's driving to the next mowing job. :D

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487

Postby Jackman » Sat May 25, 2013 4:27 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:The mirror is so that John can comb his hair while he's driving to the next mowing job. :D

Bob

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sat May 25, 2013 5:28 pm

John, as far over the hill as you are, you'll need a taller flag pole!! :lol:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Sat May 25, 2013 7:30 pm

Be careful out there. There are people on the road that fail to see emergency vehicles with flashing lights and sirens.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat May 25, 2013 9:52 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:Be careful out there. There are people on the road that fail to see emergency vehicles with flashing lights and sirens.
Yup, but picked a time of light traffic. Only one car passed me going, and none coming.
ricky racer wrote:John, as far over the hill as you are, you'll need a taller flag pole!! :lol:
I have one tall enough to cover that, but was afraid it would make tractor top heavy.
DieselDennis wrote:Is that a rear view mirror mounted up there on the hood? That shiny thing right on this side of the muffler.
That is one of Rick's mirrors he used to make. I have one on each of my cubs, and one for an ATV on my H, due to the arthritis in my neck making it difficult for me to look behind me.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Sat May 25, 2013 10:42 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:.... Not wanting to load and tie it down for such a short trip I dug around in my junk, and came up with this flag from an old handicap scooter, and combined with a couple thin wooden wedges I added it to the sign so people could see me further over the hill......
I would of thought a red hankerchief tied to a long pipe wired to the steering post.
OK to explain this to everyone except Rabbit Holler Flash; John's dad would drive the H with a hay wagon full of kids from the church, that is about a half mile down the highway that is just over the top of the hill in this picture, to the farm and the creek, which is behind the tractor, for hoboe parties and weinie roasts forty years ago. When he went on the highway he had a red handkerchief tied to the end of a long piece of pipe wired to the steering post.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun May 26, 2013 9:32 am

I remember those trips well. Actually the pipe was inserted in the umbrella bracket which is attached to the steering post, but Scrivet has it pretty well pegged. On the highway we were always followed by 2 or 3 parents driving vehicles with the flashers on, and also this was 45+ years ago, so not nearly as much traffic on the road then, however the speed limits on state roads was 65 then, so the passing vehicles were moving faster.

Return to “Farmall Cub”