This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

I need Help on my cub please.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
james c.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24244

I need Help on my cub please.

Postby james c. » Mon May 27, 2013 7:55 pm

Hello Everyone thanks for reading my post. I just bought a 1950 farmall Cub I have rebuilt the carburetor put a new screen and gasket for the gas bowl installed new plugs and it has pretty new spark plug wires on it and I also just installed a new rebuilt magneto. The tractor is 6 volt the problem I am having is the only way I can get the tractor started is by pull starting it and it will only run for a few minutes. I have the throttle wide open and it sounds like the tractor is at part throttle. I am confident the tractor is in time and wired up properly. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am thinking it has something to do with the Governor I have never messed with one of these tractors before it is my first and I hope to get this thing running so I can add to my collection. Any help will be appreciated.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wakulla Bill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32327
Tractors Owned: Now
73 MF 165
63 MF 203 Ind
44 BF Avery "A" Project
51 Farmall Cub
49 Farmall Cub
48 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: I need Help on my cub please.

Postby Wakulla Bill » Mon May 27, 2013 8:19 pm

Welcome to the forum James.
Have you checked compression on the engine? If it only runs a few minutes you may have a ignition coil breaking down,check to see if it is getting hot after tractor shuts down As far as your throttle problem It may very well be a governor problem.
You need to get the compression reading to start.
Bill
"Work smarter; Not harder"

james c.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby james c. » Mon May 27, 2013 8:26 pm

Thanks Bill. I am pretty sure the coil is good but I do need to check the compression. What should the compression read?

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJG » Mon May 27, 2013 8:30 pm

Welcome. There are many smart people here that will get your machine up and running.

Make sure that you attached the choke/governor linkages correctly to the carburetor. After replacing the carburetor you may need to readjust the linkage to the governor. It is also possible that there may be some junk in the main carburetor jet after the cleaning. Remove the jet from the carburetor and blow it out with carburetor cleaner.

A simple check is any fuel line shut offs, like the valve at the strainer bowl. Make sure that they are fully open.

Todd
Last edited by TJG on Mon May 27, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon May 27, 2013 8:35 pm

Compression readings should be over 90(dry), but I have heard them run with lower. Make sure that the main jet is clear by removing the jet from the side of the carb and running a soft wire through the hole at the end. Also verify that you have good constant flow of fuel by removing the plug at the bottom of the carb and opening the fuel shutoff... You should have good flow all the way through.

I agree that your firing order seems right. Sounds like fuel flow to me!
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

james c.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby james c. » Mon May 27, 2013 8:43 pm

Thanks TJG and Hengy I will try that tomorrow if I get time after work. I have been reading some articles here that has helped me tremendously especially on wiring and timing the magneto. I didn't know where to go from here so I figured I would join I figured you guy's would steer me in the right direction.

Wakulla Bill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32327
Tractors Owned: Now
73 MF 165
63 MF 203 Ind
44 BF Avery "A" Project
51 Farmall Cub
49 Farmall Cub
48 Farmall Super A

Postby Wakulla Bill » Mon May 27, 2013 8:53 pm

Looks like Mike has got you covered on the compression reading. The important part of compression readings is that they should be within 15% of each other. Do a wet and dry test as that will tell a lot more on mechanical condition.
I agree with Mike and Todd that you may have a fuel flow issue, there may be some trash in the tank causing fuel flow problems. I had this problem with with my 48 earlier this year and went ahead and pulled the tank and cleaned it.
Bill
"Work smarter; Not harder"

james c.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby james c. » Mon May 27, 2013 8:59 pm

Thanks Guys I have a few things to check hopefully I can check them tomorrow if not it will be Saturday. I will let you know what I found out. I really appreciate all the help.

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Mon May 27, 2013 9:18 pm

Marion(57 Loboy) wrote:This is copied from an earlier post with similar symptoms. This is what the guy did that got mine running tip top again after a carb R&R.

"OK, Try this:

With the engine OFF, disconnect the throttle linkage at the governor arm. Set the throttle lever to FULL THROTTLE. Set the throttle plate to full open on the carburetor. with the linkage attached to the throttle plate shaft lever, the other end should line up with the hole on the governor arm without having to move anything. Extend or shorten the linkage as needed to align these two parts. Install the shoulder pin and cotter pin....BINGO !! A working governor again!! It is my understanding this is to be done anytime the carb is taken off/swapped what-have-you, as it may not go back in exactly the same spot and the linkage adjustment is very important for proper operation. If you don't have the right linkage I suggest getting one from any of the several sources available. It is supposed to have a yoke on one end(where it attaches to the governor lever) and is threaded for precise adjustment. GOOD LUCK !! "

Hope you get her running soon- keep at it.

Marion

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Tue May 28, 2013 6:12 am

Welcome to the forum, and yeah, check out the fuel and governor linkage as Hengy and Marion stated. See where that gets you. Read and study the manuals and past post on the forum.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Ole90633
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17701
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub Standard

Postby Ole90633 » Tue May 28, 2013 6:27 am

Good morning James,

Be very careful with pull-starting your Cub !

Many a front engine mount "ears" have been cracked/broken through pull-starting ! You'll be better off "push-starting" or even still better, getting it running by troubleshooting and self-starting in the shop !

don

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue May 28, 2013 11:51 am

James:

G'day to you and congrats :applause: on acquiring your very 1st new to you Cub :big smile: Before I get into your problems might I suggest that when you have a few minutes to follow the links below as there are many resources available to our members.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.

I have a Cub that has a similar problem as you describe. I have retimed it, it is now perfectly timed, magneto provides a bright blue spark, firing order is exactly as it should be, and for the most part the fuel delivery system while not perfect does provide the fuel as required. Because I am using a pony tank on that Cub at the moment I really believe that the fuel issues are the reason behind the requirement to pull start this Cub.

I am not sure the Governor has anything to do with it unless the governor linkages are frozen in place. If that is the case then disconnect and proceed as described above. The other problems seem like fuel supply issues to me. I would recommend that you go over your fuel circuit - How To Upgrade A Cub Fuel System - might be useful although it goes into far greater detail than may be required. You have to ensure that your fuel circuit is clean from tank to needle and cage.

The other thing that needs to be done is to ensure that the valve lash is correct and no valves are sticking. How To Adjust Valves - Method #1 and How To Adjust Valves - Method #2 are useful articles to peruse. Recheck the firing order - How To Understand Firing Order and ensure that the spark plug wires are correct. Also make sure that the spark plug wires are copper core and not composite carbon core. Carbon Core will not function with a magneto.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue May 28, 2013 12:16 pm

james c. wrote:I also just installed a new rebuilt magneto. I am having is the only way I can get the tractor started is by pull starting it.
Question. Does the magneto click when you hand crank the engine?

TJG wrote:Make sure that you attached the choke/governor linkages correctly to the carburetor.
Remove the hose from air cleaner to carburetor. Pull the choke lever on the dash and check to see if it's operating the choke valve in carburetor throat. -- It's easy to get the choke and throttle controls mixed up.

Diagnostic sequence. Compression, engine condition. Ignition system. Carburetion, fuel system.
I have an excuse. CRS.

james c.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby james c. » Tue May 28, 2013 9:31 pm

Thanks Guys I have a few things to check out hopefully I can get to it Saturday I have to go out of town with work for a few days. It seems like I hardly have time for anything anymore with work and trying to redo a house. I appreciate all the reply's I will let you all know what I have found out.

james c.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby james c. » Thu May 30, 2013 6:47 pm

Hi Fellas I think we have found out what is going on with my Cub. My dad charged the battery up and put it on my tractor while I was out of town he said it turned over twice and started ran for maybe 5 minutes and then quit gas was dripping out of the carburetor. We started it tonight when I got back and it is flooding out we are pretty sure the float is out of adjustment. Does anyone have a fast and easy way to adjust the float on the carb. It is the International carburetor with the big round float. Thanks again for all the help fellas.

Return to “Farmall Cub”