This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Black Liquid Blowing Out Exhaust

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bchappy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 80132

Black Liquid Blowing Out Exhaust

Postby bchappy » Mon May 20, 2013 12:21 pm

I bought a 1952 Cub last fall. Used it lightly a couple times and it ran fine. One day it started blowing black liquid out the exhaust, which I thought was oil. I deducted it had a broken oil ring and stopped using it. Recently I decided to take off the head and oil pan and check it out. No broken ring was found. It was standard bore with only about .002" cylinder wear. Rings had an end gap of .045" and the valves felt a little loose in the guides so I replaced the rings (now .020" end gap), valves and guides. It now has 90 lbs compression on each cylinder. I also put a kit in the carb. I put it back together and cranked it up and you guessed it...it is still blowing out black liquid.

I have checked the pipe from the breather to the crankcase and it is clear. I did not replace plugs but they are all firing. I am at a loss as to what to check next. ANY suggestions would be appreciated.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Clint Carter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27265
Tractors Owned: Ford 2000
78 Cub Fast Hitch Red
78 Cub Red
76 Cub Red
75 Cub (Not Long Stripe) Yellow
70 Cub Yellow Fast Hitch
53 Cub 151 Disk Plow
69 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Black Liquid Blowing Out Exhaust

Postby Clint Carter » Mon May 20, 2013 12:55 pm

Could it be condensation? I see a lot of cars and trucks that leak water from the exhaust, i know that is condensation. Maybe your tractor has black soot in the pipe that turns the water black. I would taste it to make sure it is not antifreeze and i would let it roll.
Have A Nice Day!

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Mon May 20, 2013 1:00 pm

Mine gets that also. I don't use it as much and long as I should. It clears up when I do run it for a spell. I'm sure it's condensation. Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon May 20, 2013 1:24 pm

If it is just shortly after start up, it is probably moisture that has condensed form the hot exhaust coming up through the cool stack and carrying carbon with it. A common problem with vertical exhaust tractors.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

1farmall95cub0
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17762
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub
1945 Farmall H

Postby 1farmall95cub0 » Mon May 20, 2013 3:40 pm

i have the same problem on my H, have been told it is just condensation combining with soot, it usually clears up after a bit, i thought it was oil to at first

bchappy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bchappy » Tue May 21, 2013 10:10 pm

Thanks Guys,
I ran it up and down some hills and it runs clean when pulling and smokes as it is backing off. Still spitting out black liquid until it warms up. I will just run it some. Maybe the smoke is because the new rings are not seated yet.

Thanks again,

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Postby gusbratz » Wed May 22, 2013 5:34 am

my 530 case does that too, it gets on my face then my wife laughs at me when i come in :lol: . i have wondered what it is too. :?

bchappy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bchappy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:37 pm

Yea, I found my problem!! The cub was used at a seasonal recreation facility that my son owns (Colorado Pumpkin Patch) and he uses a lot of young people to help. He had five gallons of diesel fuel for another tractor he had rented and apparently it got put in the cub. I finally figured this out after I spent over $300 on buying rings and a complete valve kit and many hours labor thinking it was a broke ring. I had just about given up hope when I thought of this and ask my son where the 5 gallons of diesel fuel was and he didn't know. I drained it all out and put in a gallon of fresh gasoline and it fired right up and ran clean.

One positive is I now have a rebuilt engine. A fresh rattle can paint job, a new seat cover and we are back in business.

Thanks Guys for all the suggestions. I was just sure it was more than condensation as it started very poorly and the smoke was not stopping.
Attachments
Farmall Cub 1952_1x.jpg
Farmall Cub 1952_1x.jpg (94.9 KiB) Viewed 2286 times

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:04 am

Sure looks nice for a rattle can job!
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:14 am

Who would have thought that a Cub can run on diesel :big give up:

Kinda explains the black smoke huh :?: :?: :?:

Nice looking Cub, real nice job for a rattle can :!: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

bchappy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bchappy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:35 pm

Been a while since I was on this forum but I thought I would post a fairly recent picture of the cub and just one of the ways it is being used (my grandson is driving it for a little leisure at a Colorado Farm Camp that my son's family sponsors.)
Still running good.
Attachments
Cub and Wagon.jpg
Cub and Wagon.jpg (348.82 KiB) Viewed 1919 times

Return to “Farmall Cub”