This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Clutch Help??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mdtieszen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55082
Circle of Safety: Y

Clutch Help??

Postby mdtieszen » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:20 pm

Sn 733 is back together and running. But the clutch is not even close. I replaced the worn finger pins and springs as well as the disc while it was apart. I did adjust the fingers carefully back to the correct height prior to reassembly. This is how it looks without depressing the clutch pedal:

Clutch Finger Clearance.jpg
Clutch Finger Clearance.jpg (27.39 KiB) Viewed 469 times

With the clutch pedal completely depressed, the TOB just about touches the fingers. The finger adjustment screws don't have enough threads left to close the gap. The only other adjustment is the yoke but that doesn't seem to have enough adjustment left either.

Clutch Yoke Adjustment.jpg
Clutch Yoke Adjustment.jpg (20.9 KiB) Viewed 469 times

So, I must have done somethign really wrong. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Clutch Help??

Postby Eugene » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:01 pm

The clutch finger height does not appear to be correct. There should be about 1/8" space between the fingers and the throwout bearing with the pedal in the normal/up position. You still have quite a bit of threads left on the front finger plate adjustment.

May be just the photo angle. Doesn't appear that the pressure plate fingers are adjusted to the same height.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:54 pm

mdtieszen wrote:... I did adjust the fingers carefully back to the correct height prior to reassembly. ...

The pressure plate fingers are adjusted to 1.25" with the clutch and pressure plate installed on the flywheel. If you made the adjustments with the pressure plate on the bench, you have to readjust the fingers.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

mdtieszen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mdtieszen » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:17 am

Yes, the fingers in the photo are not adjusted the same. I adjusted one just to see if the gap could be closed. It got close but not before running out of threads (the lock nut will no longer go on). Should I consider longer adjustment screws?

The finger height was set on the bench, so that may be my problem. I'll do some more adjusting and see if it can be corrected. As long as I didn't assemble something backwards or wrong, I'll keep on adjusting.

Thanks much.

mdtieszen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mdtieszen » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:08 am

Brought the fingers out to <1/8" and all is working well.

Thank you.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:49 am

Glad you got it going, I was going to post that it also makes a difference in how the yoke for the throwout bearing is assembled.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Ironlegs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16426
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Super A
1958 Farmall Cub

Postby Ironlegs » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:03 am

I'm wondering if your throw-out bearing is heavily worn. The result would be inadequate throw to meet the fingers and release the friction plate/disk. I believe the adjustment provided in the pedal stop takes up for wear in the throw-out bearing. The set-screw adjustments on the fingers adjusts for friction plate/disk wear. My set screws are flush with the locknuts or a bit under-flush after replacement (new friction plate/disk, bushing and throw-out bearing).
Ironlegs John

Peter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97048
Tractors Owned: 1948 cub

Postby Peter » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:52 pm

Hi you guys ! I've been doing a ton of reading about clutch replacement,and started to do mine and hope to install the new Kit tomorrow. I'm not much of a wrench bender,so the challenge is teaching me a few lessons. I didn't pay attention as I should have when I pulled the old clutch plate off,and have read it makes a difference which side of disk goes to pressure plate. I don't want to put it in bass ackwards, so which way should it face,long side of spline in or out? Thanks.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:22 pm

long side of spline toward throwout bearing.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:32 am

Peter wrote:Hi you guys ! I've been doing a ton of reading about clutch replacement,and started to do mine and hope to install the new Kit tomorrow. I'm not much of a wrench bender,so the challenge is teaching me a few lessons. I didn't pay attention as I should have when I pulled the old clutch plate off,and have read it makes a difference which side of disk goes to pressure plate. I don't want to put it in bass ackwards, so which way should it face,long side of spline in or out? Thanks.

Then you'll be fine. It works better if you DON'T bend the wrenches. :shock: :lol:
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Peter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Peter » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:48 am

Thanks for the answers. I am really confused about the adjustment. Everyone says 1.25" on the finger adjustment.I have been trying to figure out where that measurement should be to and from.I know half the equation I guess,I know measurement is to the point on fingers where the TOB makes contact,or I guess that would be center of arched edge of finger. I found in a post from back in 2008 that says the measurement is with the clutch and PP mounted to the flywheel,and measured from the flywheel to the spot on the fingers I referred to. I just went out and did some measuring,and I am doing something really wrong, or not understanding this at all. Here is what I come up with for measurments. When I mount CP and PP to fly wheel and measure from FW out through the spline to finger where TOB would be, I get about 2.5" as it is. when I look at where 1.25" would be,from FW, that puts the fingers about a 32nd of an inch below the frame of the PP directly under the spring that is under the finger. I realize this is not it,as there is no way that's going to happen.I can't bend the wrench that far! So, what is goin' on. Thanks. I feel really stupid.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:01 am

Measurement is taken from the pressure plate lever high spot, straight down to the disk surface, the side of the disk facing the pressure plate.
I have an excuse. CRS.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:15 am

Peter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Peter » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:13 pm

Ok thanks Eugene. I still think that is going to put the fingers sitting right on the PP frame,or right on top of the spring under the finger. I will go measure and see, but does that sound right.from experience,is that about where things would sit with everything being new?

Peter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Peter » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:30 pm

Raymond,I just saw your reply, with the pictures. This is where I have been doing my measurement until I read that the measurement was supposed to be from the flywheel,and that was just not possible. Now after I ask, I get answered that it is at PP face of disk, and I didn't go measure yet,but pretty sure that aint going to work either.that will still be adjusting down way to far,and still put the finger right about flush with the PP frame, or at least right flush on top of the spring under the finger. All this searching,and asking questions, and the adjustment is where I set it in the first place. Well wouldn't ya just know it.

Return to “Farmall Cub”