This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Oil leak

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rohrski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 26541
Tractors Owned: 49 cub
96 John Deere 955

Oil leak

Postby rohrski » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Hi guys, I have oil leaking from around the PTO shaft, I replaced the seal this winter and have not had a problem with it but today after mowing I noticed it was leaking again, I checked the oil in the transmission by taking the plug out of the side, none comes out so I am assuming it is not over full, is there a vent hole in the top plug that could be plugged? any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks, Bubba.
Cub owner for the last 20 years, such a well engineered piece of equipment.
49 cub
96 JD 955
56 Belair

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Re: Oil leak

Postby Scrivet » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:23 pm

I don't see how oil can leak out the PTO without any coming out the left side level plug. Unless the tractor is setting on it's drawbar. Are you sure after taking the plug out there wasn't a bunch of gunk still plugging the hole? Take the plug out and try sticking a screwdriver in the hole to make sure it's clear.

How much oil are we talking about here anyway, a little seepage or the Exxon Valdeez? Not much oil gets up there except for splash, could it be an overly greased PTO bearing getting warm and liquifiying and working out the seal?

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:45 am

Scrivet, the diff. ring gear slings oil right at that seal and they can leak like crazy, even when the PTO is not running. rohrski, the venting is through the shifter assy. What was the condition of the PTO shaft, when the new seal was installed? I had some seals for some other application that fit the shaft tighter than the normal PTO seal, that I've put in 2 of mine, they're both dry so far.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:36 am

Seems the shield and bearing would keep oil from running out, the bearing should be 'greased' from the zerk. Or is that shield only on the newer ones?? The last PTO I worked on a sealed bearing went in there (6205-2RS) so I can ignore the fitting.

http://www.farmallcub.info/tc37f_db/tc3 ... 007-14.jpg
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

rohrski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 26541
Tractors Owned: 49 cub
96 John Deere 955

Postby rohrski » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:07 pm

I use a woods mower so when it starts leaking it drips on the pulley which runs the belt for the mower which you know is not good, its enough oil to be a problem, I will run something in the hole to make sure it is not plugged but I have changed the oil and replaced with new, although I do have some oil coming out of the tranny at the shifter after running it for long period, so if it is coming out of the tranny it might be over filled, well tomorrow I will check the oil again, thanks Bubba.
Cub owner for the last 20 years, such a well engineered piece of equipment.
49 cub
96 JD 955
56 Belair

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:11 pm

You might want to check the bearing, if it is worn the shaft may move enough to cause the seal to leak.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”