This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Starter won't, crank will. What's going on?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Starter won't, crank will. What's going on?

Postby Eugene » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:50 pm

DickB wrote:I had noticed, in the days before, that the battery was sluggish. Well, I scratched my head on that one since it charges all the time. Maybe I'll just charge up that battery?
Eugene wrote:Check battery charge and condition. A weak or mostly discharged battery.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Hoyt-Clagwell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07853
Tractors Owned: 47' Cub

Postby Hoyt-Clagwell » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:37 am

I just recently went through this same problem. Went to start the cub and nothing. Tractor was down for a week while I trouble shooted (shot?) everything and replaced parts etc.. Turned out all I had to do was shine up my pos battery cable ground connection at the batt box. Started right up. Could have saved myself some time and money by coming here to forum and doing some research first I guess. Ah well, I'm a rookie cub owner. Thats my excuse and I'm stickin to it.

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:03 am

Well, between things, I did disconnect the battery and hook it to the charger. Didn't have all day for the charger to do it's work so I disconnected. Needed the tractor to get the boat back into the barn before the weather came in, so did a bit of round and round with the hand crank. While runnning the tractor I noticed (oh, oh) that the amp meter didn't show that it was charging. That, I thought, meant dead battery, meant ... what's going on with the generator? Belt seemed a bit loose (I had checked it before by simply looking at it whizz around), maybe that gen needs tightening up. I don't recall, but if I'm lucky I won't have to take the top off, but will be able to find the nut/bolt that tightens it up and get it running again.

DickB

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Re: Starter won't, crank will. What's going on?q

Postby danovercash » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:45 am

Pull/push switch has nothing to do with starter. Like others said, check all connections between battery and starter, also battery charge level. BTDT with a 64 Chevy. Pulled to garage, he cleaned battery post and it started right up! Lights and horn worked, starter didn't . :(
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:33 pm

Shined up that battery terminal and there she was...humming right along. Started without me turning the crank. Just lpulled out hte boat to do some work on boat...never mind doing anything more (for the moment) on the Cub. Thanks, guys.
Cub sporting about 1.JPG
Cub sporting about 1.JPG (130.62 KiB) Viewed 489 times
Cub sporting about 2.JPG
Cub sporting about 2.JPG (152.58 KiB) Viewed 489 times

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:54 am

Glad to hear you got her going.

Nice boat! (And good looking tractor, too.) What kind is she? First guess is some species of cat boat, but the beam is narrower than usual.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:55 am

Dash Hound Dale.....Reminds me of an old Cowboy song.....Hmmmm, " Get a long little doggie"
In Memory of 58,286

DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

Postby DonMountain » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:22 pm

I had this same problem on my Cub. Turned out to be one of those clamp-on battery terminals that had a strap with 2 bolts that clamped it around the wire. All corroded inside. Got a new terminal, trimmed off about 1/2" of the corroded wire, stripped the wire back again, and clamped on the new terminal. Resolved the problem. Check all of your terminals and terminal ends on the wires. I prefer the soldered on terminal ends. They seem to last forever. :mrgreen:
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:39 pm

The culprit re: no juice for the starter motor was the "real" - terminal on the battery (goes to + on the Cub). It is a standard battery connector on the cable -- one of those lead squeeze jobbies that has the life squeezed out of it. So it goes on with a twist and a shove, and off with a flip of a screwdriver underneath it. Not a tight fit. So, sitting outside for 3 or so days was enough for the corrosion to get ahead of me. As said, a bit of sandpaper did the job.

Boat is a homemade "Chebacco" designed by the late-great Phil C. Bolger. Cat-yawl gaff-rigged, 20' x 8' beam - draws maybe 12" with the centerboard up otherwise draws 4'. Around 1200-1500 lbs. plus the trailer weight and the Cub doesn't think twice about pulling or pushing it. Too bad I don't have photos of pulling the upside down hull out of the barn with the tractor -- I'd cut down a few birch trees for rollers and placed them under the "ladder" frame that the hull sprung from. I'd pull out maybe 3' and stop, get a log that rolled free from the aft end, put it up front and pull another 3' or so.

Return to “Farmall Cub”