This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

pto won't stay engaged

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

pto won't stay engaged

Postby gusbratz » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:53 pm

this has probably already been beat to death but my pto won't stay engaged. it grinds and pops out. I took the shaft out and checked the bearing and the snaprings are all tight. the shifter pin was worn almost all the way off. I brazed a a 1/4" drill bit piece into the lever and put it back together. still the same thing. I took the coller off and reassembled it and took a pic. the only thing I see wrong is the front shaft has rounded off splines and the gap is bigger than I would like. is there a way to close that gap up? I am already using thin gaskets on the back. can that front shaft be removed without major tractor splitting?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: pto won't stay engaged

Postby bob in CT » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:31 pm

Looks like the pin was worn for so long the main shaft splines are shot. You are not going to like the answer. That shaft goes all the way up to the clutch. There is very little engagement of splines on both shafts in the collar. You need everything you can get to have a secure drive connection.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/tr/235fp.htm

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby gusbratz » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:47 pm

thanks for the response bob, That’s what I was afraid of, isn’t that the way it goes. I bought 2 tractors in non running condition. I re-wired, did all the fluids and brakes and plugs and wires and carbs. This one runs perfect and the transmission is quiet and the pto shaft is shot, the other one that smokes like a bat out of hell and the transmission howls and it’s pto is good. Leaving me with neither tractor capable of doing the work I need done.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:08 pm

Swap the rear ends for now. A nice day's work with a helper. You can buy a Cub Cadet gear set and take care of the howler off season and maybe find a shaft too. I like doing transmissions in the winter.

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJG » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:44 pm

I'll put the glass half full...You have a good pulling and cultivating tractor.

Todd

JSTRICKLAND
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28601

Postby JSTRICKLAND » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:34 pm

Check the front bearing infront of the transmission, it may be installed backwards. I had the same problem. Split and turned bearing the right way and works fine now. Yesterday's tractor Forum has some post of this issue.

Good luck,

James

JSTRICKLAND
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28601

Postby JSTRICKLAND » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:54 pm

Yesterday's tractor forum (Cub pto topic) 02-04-2013 Is my post.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:27 am

Jstrickland is right. With a gap that large between your main shaft and the PTO shaft, I'd lay money on the idea that the front tranny seal is installed incorrectly and the main shaft is moving forward.

The teeth on your main shaft look a little worn, but you MAY be able to make the swap and get by. The reason that pin was worn is that the rounded teeth on the shaft keep wanting to push the clutch off the shafted and the pin keeps trying to hold it there. Eventually friction does its job and the pin gets worn out...
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:56 am

Look under Engine,clutch, trans , and hydraulics in the How to for Corky's how to rebuild a PTO....For some reason its posted there....Anyhow notice the shift collar....On my 53 I took the pto apart because of a bad spline on the shaft....The pto worked fine and it had a sickle bar mower on it....But the shift collar was reversed from the picture....So when I reassembled it I put it together as shown in the How to article....It still works fine but who knows how long it was reversed....Check yours....Just my 5 cents....Dave :big afro:
In Memory of 58,286

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby gusbratz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:36 am

sounds like that is what it is, the tractor looks to have a lot of hours and repairs on it. when I did the brakes the right side final had 6" long cracks in it and somebody glob job welded the steering stem back on so I assume it was flipped at some point. to get me by until I have to split the tractor I filled the coupling end with weld, drilled it out and cut new splines with a file. this extended the splines out about 3/32 farther than they usually are. we will see how long it holds up. I can post some pics if anyone wants to see.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:54 pm

We always like pictures
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Return to “Farmall Cub”