This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Converting leveling lever to crank

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Xperimental
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47359
Tractors Owned: Farmall 200
1956 Farmall Cub
1961 Farmall Cub
Farmall 460D
International 656D Hi-Clear
Farmall 806D
Allis Chalmers 5020

Converting leveling lever to crank

Postby Xperimental » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:41 pm

My 1956 Cub w/fast hitch is missing the leveling lever. I plan to convert it the crank style adjustment and wonder which parts I need to do this. It looks like I need to change the bail (to the correct bail for the crank style adjuster) and then I can bolt on the crank adjuster. Are all the other fast hitch parts the same or would I need other parts?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Converting leveling lever to crank

Postby Peter Person » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:41 pm

First question I would ask is how much plowing do you do?
Using the crank handle to adjust the depth of the plow is really slow compared to the lever style.

Several forum members have experienced the same broken depth lever problem, including me. It's all to convenient to hoist yourself up on the tractor using the lever - not what it was designed for.
I bought a master control lever off ebay back in 2006 and had Rick Prentice make up a new depth lever using the cast handle and the bottom pivot. He even fashioned a new "button".

You are correct - the bail is different. From Rudi's Manual Server you can look at the Parts Manuals. Here is the link to the Group 09 - Frame section from the TC-37F Revision 3, dated March 1975.
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20Parts%20Manuals/TC-37F%20Revision%203/Group%2009%20-%20Frame/index.html

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:57 pm

I'm a big fan of the lever version. Adjustment is fast, accurate, and positive. While the crank version is more adjustable, the increased adjustment is of very limited practical application, in my experience.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Xperimental
10+ Years
10+ Years
1956 Farmall Cub
1961 Farmall Cub
Farmall 460D
Farmall 806D
Allis Chalmers 5020

Postby Xperimental » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:47 pm

I do have a fast hitch plow for the Cub, but I plow my garden with a 3 bottom on a 460D. The big tractor is a little awkward when it comes to getting close to posts etc.. I would like to use the plow on the Cub for tight spots where the bigger tractor will not go. I would restore the lever if I could find a suitable replacement handle and quadrant. The pivot mechanism is still on the tractor. The handle was apparently snapped off and then the quadrant was removed. I have found a bail and hand crank mechanism and thought this would solve the problem. I really need to be able to control the height of the front of the bail to use my fast hitch planter. I have a John Deere No 71 planter modified with a single fast hitch point for the Cub. I am also thinking about building a one row cultivator on a fast hitch tool bar for the Cub.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:21 pm

The uses you describe are ideal for the lever version.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:11 am

No need to change the bail. Here's what I did:

I fabricated my own crank-style depth control using a length of 1" Acme screw, some 1" black steel pipe, a 1" bolt, and a few pieces of scrap steel flat bar...

Xperimental
10+ Years
10+ Years
1956 Farmall Cub
1961 Farmall Cub
Farmall 460D
Farmall 806D
Allis Chalmers 5020

Postby Xperimental » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:42 pm

Hi Matt,

I have wondered about your conversion since seeing it here. Extending the arm on the lever type bail like you have done is an option I am thinking about vs. replacing the bail. I have found an adjuster assembly and also a matching bail, but have not bought them yet. Several people here make a strong argument for the lever. It seems that if someone reproduced the crank and/or the lever adjuster, that they would have a good market for them.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:50 pm

Xperimental wrote:Hi Matt,
It seems that if someone reproduced the crank and/or the lever adjuster, that they would have a good market for them.

No kidding!! It seems that the convenient location of the depth handle as a grab bar to get up on the tractor is just too tempting! I have seen several broken like yours. Replacement is a "spendy" proposition, too.

I only wish that I had fabrication and welding skills. I can do neither!

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Return to “Farmall Cub”