This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Paint/restore estimate

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ColganFarm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06095
Tractors Owned: 1953 Cub
1975 Cub

Paint/restore estimate

Postby ColganFarm » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:09 am

Hello all,
I am located in CT and was wondering if you could give me a ball park figure on the cost for a sand/sandblast/paint job. I have a 1953 cub with original paint and would like to have it redone this winter.

Thanks!
Mitchel
Colgan Farm LLC

1953 Cub 'Ruby'
1975 Cub 'Honey'
23-A Disc Harrow
54-A Leveling Blade
C2 IH Mower
Cub-144 Cultivators

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Paint/restore estimate

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:44 am

Don't know what the cost would be to have someone do it for you. BUTTTTTTTT if they do anw sand blasting be very carefull what you blast. The sand will get in places you don't want it to go. Even when you tape up everything. I would use paint remover and wire wheel on most of it.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:01 am

It won't be cheap, that's for sure. You're looking at anywhere from $700 to $1500 depending on how much work you expect them to do. The more you do yourself the less it will cost.

If you can strip the tractor down yourself, so all they have to do is some bodywork and paint, it will cost you much much less. Obviously the sky's the limit if $$$ is no object.

The difficult part is finding someone to do it. There aren't many professional tractor restorers out there, and most of them only advertise by word of mouth. Shipping a tractor a long ways to be restored is big $$$ too, so it behooves you to find someone local even if they do charge a little more.

What you would be best served doing is finding your local tractor clubs, local tractor shows... If there's a pro looking for work, they'll be there.

Also look into local autobody shops... Maybe the local vocational education department.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:18 am

Cecil can do it. You may want to do it yourself a little at a time with rattle cans once you find out what the cost is. People have had entire tractors soda blasted, which eliminated the grit risk. You can even leave the headlights on. It does not clean up rust, though but does a great job on paint. A pro told me it takes 400 hours to paint a tractor to show standards. I am painting another one now, little by little. It is a lot of work.

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:08 pm

I have more hours than I care to count in getting a Cub ready to restore. If you are using your tractor for farming maybe just painting the tank, fenders and wheels might be all you want to do. Or leave it in it's work clothes...I did a search on Colgan Farm cuz I was curious about it. You guys have an awesome farm and will "like" it on Facebook. Hope you have a great summer farming. I kind of like the Cub the way you have it. Wipe it down with WD40 and it will look good in it's work clothes...that is what I do with my two workers...the one I am restoring will be used hard too but I don't expect it to remain mint remain perfect...not possible.

The cost for it is lots of time and money with no clear estimate on that with all the unknowns. Probably in the range Matt mentioned if you had it done, but leaking seals and other stuff should be taken care of before you paint. During the off season see if you can find an ag student looking for a project and pay for his supplies. I had a son of a friend who went to Bristol Aggie restore my plows and grader blade for his senior project and all I paid for was paint. I obviously bought him something cool for his efforts that he couldn't afford as a present for his work...

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:21 pm

If you want a restoration quality paint job then this requires a tear down the the bare chassy. Thats a lot of small parts to prep and paint. Sand blasting is a no no unless your blasting individual parts. Best is aircraft stripper and a good preasure washer. Then a wire wheel. Body work is anther problem. Getting everything to fit properly requires partial reassembly after body work. Then tear down again. Time wise it can be 25 to 45 hours or more depending on body work needed. Now with that said it does not pay to use junk paint. Good paint and primers will cost around 400 - 500 bucks. plus hardener and thinners.Could cost more! Also I wouldnt think of doing a restoration paint job unless all the mechanicals are gone over. If you dont you will have problems. Doing repairs after paint is not the way to go.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Return to “Farmall Cub”