This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

tomatoe cages

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16353
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1955 International 300 Utility
2018 JD loader/ backhoe
Circle of Safety: Y

tomatoe cages

Postby Jack » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:10 am

I thought I would share my homemade tomatoe cages I made this year, in the past I always tied up the tomatoe plants to the stakes, this year I went to home depot a bought a roll of concrete mesh (wire) it came in 5' x 150' roll. 6"x6" squares, which is great to get into the plants for picking. anyway I counted 10 squares and cut is off with bolt cutters, then I got a small nut driver and bent the ends to make hooks, then crimped the hook around the other end of the cage. and staked two sides. it makes the cage to be 2.5 ft.round 5 ft.tall, then I made smaller ones for peppers, eggplant. worked out really good.
Last edited by Jack on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Circle of Safety Pine Meadows Farm :tractor:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob Perry
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

Re: tomatoe cages

Postby Bob Perry » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:26 am

Jack wrote:I thought I would share my homemade tomatoe cages I made this year, in the past I always tied up the tomatoe plants to the stakes, this year I went to home depot a bought a roll of concrete mesh (wire) it came in 5' x 100' roll. 6"x6" squares, which is great to get into the plants for picking. anyway I counted 10 squares and cut is off with bolt cutters, then I got a small nut driver and bent the ends to make hooks, then crimped the hook around the other end of the cage. and staked two sides. it makes the cage to be 2.5 ft.round 5 ft.tall, then I made smaller ones for peppers, eggplant. worked out really good.

I've been using the concrete wire for tomato cages, and for goat fencing too. I like the rust look. And 150 ft of it costs $107. Do the math. It's about 71 cents per foot, which is way less than people spend for much smaller fencing.
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:28 am

Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:10 am

You may want to recount or remeasure. I made some well over 30 years ago and am still using them. I used 15 squares (7.5 feet) for each one and they are about 2.5 feet in diameter. I cut half way between the 2 cross wires then meshed them back on themselves so the cross wires at each end were tight together. I then twisted the loose ends along the wire. It was quite a lot of work, but they are durable. The other thing I did was to cut the last wire ring off one end. That leaves 6-inch prongs on that end. I then stab that end into the ground, no staking required. Extreme wind can blow them over, but it rarely happens.

Bob Perry
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

Postby Bob Perry » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:47 am

Winfield Dave wrote:Image

In my raised bed garden, I try to keep a theme of rusty metal, so concrete wire is perfect.
Here's the goat's hay feeder, and a piece of fence. At the bottom I added rabbit wire, to protect the crops in the field.
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16353
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1955 International 300 Utility
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:32 pm

Jim Becker wrote:You may want to recount or remeasure. I made some well over 30 years ago and am still using them. I used 15 squares (7.5 feet) for each one and they are about 2.5 feet in diameter. I cut half way between the 2 cross wires then meshed them back on themselves so the cross wires at each end were tight together. I then twisted the loose ends along the wire. It was quite a lot of work, but they are durable. The other thing I did was to cut the last wire ring off one end. That leaves 6-inch prongs on that end. I then stab that end into the ground, no staking required. Extreme wind can blow them over, but it rarely happens.

Jim I was wrong, I counted 10 squares which is 60"and measured about 19.5" around, my mistake sorry

Circle of Safety Pine Meadows Farm :tractor:

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:48 pm

Nice pics Guys...
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”