This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Advice on N-Series Fords

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Advice on N-Series Fords

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:12 pm

My brother and I are potentially in the market for a tractor/6 foot bush hog setup. I have seen many N-series Fords configured this way and assume that it is a good combination. I know there are a few of you out there that own Fords, so please let me in on what to look for while examining potential candidates. What specific things are trouble spots on these tractors? Thanks in advance.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Re: Advice on N-Series Fords

Postby Into Tractors » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:42 pm

Don, as most folks know I own 3 N's; '39 9N, '42 2N and a '47 8N. The '39 is my baby and rare due to it's one of the "Aluminum" Fords so it's a trailer/parade queen and I'm real careful with it due to the aluminum hood/grill/dash and the one piece cast axle/hub assemblies are easy to damage. But while my other two are restored, I use them to mow, plow, disc, etc. I've ran both a 6' finish mower & bush hog with those 2, and no problems unless it was tall grass with the finish mower of course. I prefer using the 8N as the Hyd's on the 8N's was improved upon as it has both position & draft control built-in, while the 9 & 2N's don't and are only draft control so you have to "jockey" the lever at times, but it's really not an issue for me. I'd also recommend installing a PTO over-run clutch as the PTO's on all of them aren't live, so it will "push" the tractor along when you don't want it to.

Down size to the N's: No live Hyd or PTO, but I'm used to that & I'll shortly be adapting the 8N to live Hyd's later this year as I finally figured out how to do it rather easily. Installing the over-run clutch helps out as well. Some folks don't live the earlier Ford N's distributors either, as the early models are up front and directly behind the radiator/fan and some find them hard to work on. All 3 of mine have the front mount system, and I've gotten real good at working on them and even have a hot spare, that I can swap in if there is a major failure, but knock on wood, I haven't been required to fix anything on all three in about 6-7 years expect for fluid changes and tune-ups.

Up size: Parts are readily available at just about any TSC, Rural King, and of course on-line as it is one of the most popular small size farm tractors around and like the Cub's, they are pretty reliable and easy to work on.

I did down-size to a 5' bush hog 2 years ago though. I feel much more comfortable having a mower width a little narrower than my wheel spacing, and I like the fact that as long as my wheels/tires don't hit an object, the mower behind me won't either unless I'm turning.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.....MD
Mike Duncan

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:48 pm

I do not know if it is true on all the "N" series, but I know that on some of them the pto must be running for the lift to work.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:34 am

You would be better off with a 601 or 801.Power steering, Live pto , and as John says, the pto doesn't have to be running for the lift to work.
On the old ones, if you choke the tractor down in heavey grass, you have to unhook the PTO to lift the bush hog.

This will give you ideas;http://www.oldfordtractors.com/identify.htm
Last edited by Virginia Mike on Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 54911
Tractors Owned: -
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
FORD JUBILEE with Sherman 12-speed
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee
Cadet 108 with mower and snow thrower -Cadet 1650 with deck and thrower

Postby ToddW » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:11 am

Another one to consider is the NAA (1953-54) The 1953 is called the "jubilee" and the 54 is called the NAA. More horsepower then the N series and it was the first of the Fords to have live hydraulics. Good running ones around here are priced $1800 and up it seems.Very similiar price to the N fords but more tractor, and the live PTO a HUGE plus

I have one and like it very much. Mine has the 12 speed Sherman transmition so mowing slow ground speed/high rpms is covered well, and road speeds are excellent too.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:08 am

There is no way I would consider a N-series Ford. It's one of my biases I guess but they are too light, crude, and over-priced for me. One of my basic requirements is if it has hydraulics, they must be live. I can live with non-live PTO but the :censored: lift better work all the time! If you must have a Ford, I would do as Virginia Mike says and look for a newer one with live hydraulics and live pto, although I would look for a later model IH or JD. Again that is just personal preference on my part.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Bezirk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader

Postby Bezirk » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:39 am

Don, I have an 8N and a 5' rotary cutter. it handles it very well and those tractors are very well built and reliable. As previously mentioned, I would not run one without an overrun clutch, it also converts the 1 1/8" pto to the 1 3/8" . JMHO

Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:23 pm

All good comments, guys. Keep 'em coming. I'm especially interested in knowing what model specific things to look for/at.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 54911
Tractors Owned: -
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
FORD JUBILEE with Sherman 12-speed
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee
Cadet 108 with mower and snow thrower -Cadet 1650 with deck and thrower

Postby ToddW » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:53 am

One tip I know of that has held true on several accounts I have heard of---it it has a front end loader, the kingpin and front axle bushings are most certainly toast and will have to be replaced. Not hugely expensive but will take time.
The loaders were way overbuilt and the tractor front end took the abuse from over lifting

You can tell by driving the tractor if the kingpins and bushings are badly worn. Front wheels will wobble at even slow speeds.

more info here on other tips http://www.ntractorclub.com/howtos/pdfs/Tips-for-Ford-N-Tractor-Owners.pdf

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”