This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Remove Mainshaft without removing shift forks?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dave Downs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18923
Tractors Owned: 1937 F-20
1944 M
H w/Heisler OD & disc brakes
C
C w/Fast Hitch
SC w/Fast Hitch

Remove Mainshaft without removing shift forks?

Postby Dave Downs » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:01 pm

I'm replacing the mainshaft to fix the 'PTO Jumping Out Of Gear' problem.

It was surprisingly easy to split the tractor (much lighter parts than the letter series Farmalls I'm used to).

I'm looking at the gears on the mainshaft - it looks like I can slid the mainshaft forward and the gears will just drop off the shaft and I should have enough room to hold them in place through the top when I slide the new shaft in without removing the shift forks.

I read through the technical tips but did not see where anybody said this was a good idea - but nobody said it was a bad idea either. I really don't want to go through the hassle of driving the shift fork rails out of the case and dealing with the poppet balls.

What say the experts?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Remove Mainshaft without removing shift forks?

Postby RaymondDurban » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:40 pm

Yes, you can remove the input shaft (main shaft) with out pulling the forks. The gears will slip off, and you'll have to hold them up upon reassembly.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Remove Mainshaft without removing shift forks?

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:35 pm

and if you are real lucky, they may even stay in place and it slide back in easily. @ notes, first make sure which way you turn the retainer and seal at the front of the transmission, it goes with the flat part of the retainer out, and the extended part holding the seal toward the inside of the transmission.
2nd, if your shaft came with a bearing, make sure it is installed with the shield or sealed side toward the gears. When I had hurt my leg and was not getting around too good, I took one of my cubs needing the shaft replaced to the MidMo cubfest and the guys there helped change it. The bearing that came on the shaft felt good and smooth, so I just stuck the end of the shaft in my parts washer and cleaned it good, then installed it. I did not notice that the shield on the bearing was turned toward the pocket the oil drains into rather than toward the gears. 2 weeks later I was pulling the shaft out again in my own shop, because the shield was blocking the oil from getting to the bearing.
3rd, there are holes just under the cover at each end that direct oil to the front and rear bearings. Make sure they are open.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”