This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rust in gas tank

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AndyMac
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: GU52

Rust in gas tank

Postby AndyMac » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:26 am

Andy here from the UK.

I have drained old gas from by 1948 Cub. There is relatively superficial rust inside the tank.

Before replenishing with fresh gas I would sure appreciate any suggestions to address this effectively without need to remove the tank.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rust in gas tank

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:32 am

Is the rust coming off in pieces? If so, how big are the pieces?
If its just a few spots the inside of the tank with nothing breaking loose, you will probably be ok with running some 2 cycle oil with the fuel.
If its coming off in pieces big enough to stop up the fuel bowl screen, then I beieve you'll have to pull the tank for some aggressive treatment.

AndyMac
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AndyMac » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:06 am

Thanks for the swift input Raymond.
Any loose rust is in 'grit' form rather than significant flaking pieces. This is why I am hoping to get by with leaving the tank in place. My idea is to remove detritus by vacuum cleaner.
I have some bulk water based rust treatment solution (of US manufacture) I have used successfully to treat implements before painting. Would it be appropriate to spray some inside the tank? Then of course leave to dry thoroughly before replenishing with fresh gas.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:35 am

I'm not familiar with this rust treatment you're referring to, but NEVER, NEVER EVER USE A VACUUM CLEANER TO CLEAN A FUEL TANK! The fuel vapors get into the motor of the vacuum cleaner and cause a nasty explosion! I think that if you need to clean the tank, you need to bite the bullet and remove it.

Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149

Postby Jason (IL) » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:44 am

If it is flakey rust, I use a dish soap, hot hot water and a hand full of 3/8" hex nuts. Throw it all in and shake it really well and when I think I am done I drain it all and use an air hose with a rubber hose to blow the rest around and rinse again and again. I have done this a few time with the cub tanks, it can be rather hard since it is so awkward. When done I coat with 2 cycle gas and oil and reinstall. I have yet to redo any of the tanks I have done.

Good luck

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:58 am

POR-15 and RedKote are two sealers for gas tanks. But the tank has to be removed before the sealer is used. Search function, utilization of both products have been discussed on this board.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:13 am

Andy:

As Gary said - Never Ever Use a Vacuum Cleaner anywhere near a gas tank!.

I am not sure what you have across the pond, but I ensure all of my tanks have been taken care of by professionals. My local Radiator/Gas Tank Repair Shop does all of my tanks. I had Ellie's tank done almost 10 years ago now and it is still as clean as the day I got it back from the shop. They use a product called Red Kote.

I just had Granny's tank done over the winter and I am very pleased with the end result. You should check with a local shop, bite the bullet and get it done. Then the issue will be solved and won't bug you again. I would strongly recommend it.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:53 am

On the other hand, if there is just a little superficial rust and the fuel in the sediment bowl doesn't look rusty, just ignore it.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:44 am

My suggestion would be to remove and clean the sediment bowl. Then watch and see how quickly rust particles accumulate in it. If slowly, leave the tank as is; if quickly, remove the tank and choose your method of rust removal and sealing. The decision you make may also affect how often the main jet in the carb needs to be cleaned out too.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Rabbit Holler Flash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Rabbit Holler Flash » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:55 pm

My Farmall "H" aka Brutus had loose rust in the tank even after cleaning. The fine grainy stuff was just enough to cause headaches going thru the fuel system. I had a old 100lb pull magnet that was made for a welding ground connector, but the connection was twisted off. I slaped that on the bottom of the tank on the outside in outa way place and all the grainy lil boogers go hang out there now. Not in the sediment bowl or float or other fuel system locations.I know I need to take tank off n get it cleaned n coated soon but the magnet holds it so I can use the tractor till then.

AndyMac
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AndyMac » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:22 am

Very grateful as always for the helpful responses.

I have cleaned the tank as best I can - without causing an explosion! - sprayed inside with carb cleaner and replenished with fresh gas. Removal of the tank and adherence to your suggestions can wait another day.

In the meantime use of a magnet seems a sensible option - thanks!

Soon to collect another 1948 Cub from France - will check out the gas tank situation - may have to follow your advice sooner than anticipated!

Andy

Return to “Farmall Cub”