This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New to forum, new to cubs!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New to forum, new to cubs!

Postby Barnyard » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:20 pm

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

1950demoB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06804

Postby 1950demoB » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:50 pm

Holy crap! Yep, that's it!! That's a rowboat to the left side of it, the red is a Lifetime riding mower from the 60s, and you can kinda see the saw blade in the background. The garage is like a time capsule! I'll try and post a few more up right now...

1950demoB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 1950demoB » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:00 pm

Pic test

1950demoB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 1950demoB » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:09 pm

So you guys being the experts on these things, is that enough to believe its a non-molested demo?

While at work today, blew out the manifold, foamed it up with some gunk engine bright, and dried it out. First part cleaned in 30 plus years!

Again, my lack of knowledge may give you all a chuckle, but can someone explain to me if this could have a distributor AND magneto? Or is it one or the other? And while I'm cleaning it all up, any specific pics that would be helpful to post up?

What do you all feel about gunk engine bright-ing the whole thing to clean off some of the grease? There isnt running water, so dont need to worry about the pressure blasting into any electrical things. I'll basically spray it, work it around with a brush, and rinse off with a bucket. Any reason why that would be a bad idea?

Thanks! And let me know what you think!

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:16 pm

That is a magneto. A mag generates its own spark. No battery required. A distributor, or battery ignition, needs a battery to create the spark. Both have points.

1950demoB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 1950demoB » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:20 pm

So an electric start is an option if you have a magneto? Because the only way my old man remembers starting it is electric (he said he may have cranked it a handful of times). And where exactly is the magneto. I must be thinking the coil? was the distributor?

Pardon my lack of knowledge, this thing is 33 years older than me!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:27 pm

Brian:

This is a magneto: Image

A magneto functins as a distributor and has it's own internal coil (under the square black cover). A magneto can be used to hand crank to start the Cub. Cubs with magnetos also came with a battery and a starter.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:39 pm

I just caught to Brians post and yes this is a real demo cub ,we worked together at the Harley Dealership,it has not been repainted, welcome to the forum Brian
Tim

1950demoB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 1950demoB » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:44 pm

Gotcha, Thanks! Is the cap for the wires a good thing to replace while doing a pre-start tune up? Or plugs and wires and see what happens? I have to search on how to clean points.

One thing I did notice. The property had a "care taker" for a few years. The guy like to take short cuts on quite a few things. While pulling the plugs, I noticed that he just changed the 3 rear most, and not the 1 closest to the front. I figure its because he was too lazy to find a wrench that fit (since the head slopes upward in that direction). That was the toughest plug to pull off, but I couldn't help but laugh at it!

I am headed there for the long weekend, anything else I should pull off and clean out? I don't want to strip the whole thing down to the point where I don't remember whats what, but I want to tackle a few more things.

Is that air cleaner one that you clean with an oil bath, or is there a replaceable element? I believe I have a cartridge oil filter as well. I'm reading the scanned owners manual now, and enjoying all of the cartoon pictures of what NOT to do! Hopefully soon I'll run across a spec sheet on what fluids it takes, plug numbers, etc...

1950demoB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 1950demoB » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:47 pm

tst wrote:I just caught to Brians post and yes this is a real demo cub ,we worked together at the Harley Dealership,it has not been repainted, welcome to the forum Brian
Tim

Thanks Tim! Good to hear from you, and glad you are enjoying your time tinkering with these things and the bikes. I bet it sure beats all the BS we had to take from Al!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:57 pm

Brian:

As you are reading the McCormick Farmall Cub Owner's Manual 1950 suggest you then read the relevant Blue Ribbon Service Manuals.

You might want to print off the relevant pages of the TC-37A Parts Catalog (5-2-49) which will give you the breakdown and can assist in putting it back together.

Yes it is an oil bath filter cup on the air breather and an oil element filter for the engine.

Champion D-21's

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:08 pm

Welcome to the forum and CONGRATULATIONS on obtaining the "family" Demo Cub, that is really neat! I love the genuine appearance, it should clean up real nice. I have had good luck with Purple Power for cleaning years of "use" off, it is not to harsh but pretty effective.

Good luck,
David

1950demoB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 1950demoB » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:10 pm

Awesome, thanks Rudi!

Just read about the screen in the oil pan. I figure it probably has not been off and has been neglected so I'll prob drop that as well when I do the oil. Any way to almost clean the whole engine? I'm sure it'll have sludge in it. I read something about using kerosene, but have read it works and its harmful. I will have to figure if there are gaskets needed too, or it it uses something like an automotive FIPG (black snot stuff).

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:20 pm

The cub uses real gaskets Brian, it was around long before silicone
Tim

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:24 pm

The only thing you should do to clean the engine is to change the oil. If you really want to you can run it a bit then change it again. I would not put anything through the engine but oil. Also, you do not want to clean it all out either as then the rings might end up letting some oil by and other things that engine rebuilders know about. I don't ... but I do know that I do not want to rebuild Ellie's or Granny's anytime soon. I got enough with Jethro's to do.

I would slow down a bit and take it one step at a time.

Look at the Parts Catalog and if you want to window shop, visit TM Tractor's Engine section .. You may find out that you might not need much to get this tractor running again. Once that has happened, then you can decide more accurately what it needs. Course this is JIMHO and others may differ.

Return to “Farmall Cub”