This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What is the best plow for a Cub?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
169Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54904
eBay ID: jsdnar
Tractors Owned: Original Cub Cadet
169 x2
1957 Farmall Cub
John Deere 3120

What is the best plow for a Cub?

Postby 169Cub » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:09 pm

I found a drawbar and now I am looking for a plow. I have the rockshaft lift for the back of my Cub that mounts on top of the transmission. In the future, a fast hitch would be great, but for now, I need to watch out for cost. I found this on ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/farmall-cub-plo ... 1c3464e9c7 and he was saying that it was only worth about $100... I have seen other plows on this site, but I am not sure which one is better, or if that is even an issue. I know I have been asking a few odd questions here and there and I appreciate all of your help. Being new to a new hobby is rather "rough". :lol:
Lovin' IH for over a decade.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: What is the best plow for a Cub?

Postby TJG » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:24 pm

Good luck with the cub. The most important aspect for an implement is getting one that is in good condition and has all of the mounting brackets and any other additional hardware in order to operate correctly. It looks like some of the parts are missing with the one on Craigslist, such as the depth control lever. Without all of the hardware it may cost a lot more to find and buy the additional items piece by piece.

Prices vary a lot from area to area. I've found that if I'm not in a large hurry eventually a good implement in good condition, at a reasonable price, fairly close to home, comes along.

Good luck again,

Todd

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:45 pm

I would pass on the plow. Wait until a complete one in good shape comes about.

Best type of plow. There are a couple different style plows for Cubs. Before you purchase a plow, you need to determine your type of soil, rocks, tree roots, etc.. These variables will help determine which style plow you need.

Manuals for the different style plows are contained in the manuals section, above.

There are videos of the different style plows, working, on this site. Search function.
I have an excuse. CRS.

169Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
169 x2
1957 Farmall Cub
John Deere 3120

Postby 169Cub » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanks for the advice on that particular plow. I am in no rush, and am just getting into finding one and I want to research and figure which one fits my needs. My Cub Cadets are easy, Brinly. Farmall Cubs, not so much. Much more to chose from. My soil is pretty much pure clay. :( I have been working it with sand, and manure and will be adding some top soil at some point. It is about a 40' garden. I want to use my Cub as much as possible in my yard work.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:12 pm

Ditto to what the guys have told you. I'd also print out the manual Eugene mentioned and take it with you when you do find a plow to insure all the parts are there.
Thomas

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:50 pm

169Cub wrote:Thanks for the advice on that particular plow. I am in no rush, and am just getting into finding one and I want to research and figure which one fits my needs. My Cub Cadets are easy, Brinly. Farmall Cubs, not so much. Much more to chose from. My soil is pretty much pure clay. :( I have been working it with sand, and manure and will be adding some top soil at some point. It is about a 40' garden. I want to use my Cub as much as possible in my yard work.

Can I offer a suggestion? With pure clay and all of the work your are doing to make improvements to the soil, I wonder if a plow is what you need? It is good that you working in soil amendments, but if you add all of that good stuff and then just plow it under and bring the subsoil to the surface you are kind of defeating the purpose of your improvements.

My wife and I also have about a 40 foot garden and we used to plow when we first got started....just like you...wanting to use our Cub. We also have heavy clay soils with a very thin top soil. Our garden languished for about 4 or 5 years as we plowed and disked..plowed and disked. Then I found a Howard Rotavator for my Cub and have not use a plow in the past 5 or 6 years, and our garden now has never looked as good. We add manure, mulch with straw, throw a cover crop on in the fall...and simply till it all under in the spring...leaving the nutrient poor sub-soil where it belongs, and improving just the top 7 or 8 inches of our top soil.

I know all soil is different and this might not be the case for you. But it sounds very similar to what I've got going on. If so...a tiller of some kind (Roatavator's are hard to find and EXPENSIVE when you do) I think is going to be a good bet. Keep the plow for a lawn ornament. That's what's mine's become.
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:31 pm

And the answer is ---- it depends ---- on a whole host of variables. In your situation a case can be made for moldboard, slatted moldboard, disk plow, or a tiller. Each has advantages and disadvantages. Used properly, all will work well. Used improperly, all will create problems that are difficult to deal with.

On heavy clay soil, moisture content is critical for making a proper seedbed. Working the soil with excessive moisture will create mud balls that dry into balls/lumps with the consistency of baseballs and they break down like baseballs.

For my money a moldboard plow is the most bang for the buck. It has the best upside with minimal downside.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:27 pm

That seller seems to have been very careful not to showe the point, so I would be hesitant on that one.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:01 pm

If what you see is what you get, the plow is missing the depth control and a coulter and/or jointer.

You'll spend a whole bunch more than $100 finding the other parts, while you should be able to get a complete setup from one of our members for around $200.

169Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
169 x2
1957 Farmall Cub
John Deere 3120

Postby 169Cub » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:11 am

Bigschuss, could I ask you to post a picture of your Howard Rotavator?

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:31 am

You can find a pdf manual for the Rotavator in the pdf manuals link above. Expensive and parts will be tough.

Return to “Farmall Cub”