This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Priming the oil pump

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John C
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30152
Tractors Owned: 1948, 1949, 1953, 1961 Cubs
1941 Minneapolis Moline
1939 John Deere H
1986 IMT 539
Multiple Ford 8Ns that aren't any good

Priming the oil pump

Postby John C » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:58 pm

Today I'm working on Cubs that have been neglected much of the time I've owned them.

I thought it would be a good idea to prime the oil pump on my '60 as it has not been run in almost two years.

I squirted oil (over 1/4 cup) in the hole inside the filter housing; then turned over the engine with a crank. No oil came back up. Turned the engine a bunch more; then put about the same amount of oil in the hole again and kept turning.

Still no sign of oil. Shall I keep going with this process? How much oil can I force in until there's a problem?

Thanks!
John
"If every day were a holiday, sport would soon become chore"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Priming the oil pump

Postby Barnyard » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:06 pm

John, you won't get much of anything with a hand crank. If you put that much in it you should be good. Fire it up and watch your gauge. It will take a couple seconds and start coming up. If not, then shut it down.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

John C
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30152
Tractors Owned: 1948, 1949, 1953, 1961 Cubs
1941 Minneapolis Moline
1939 John Deere H
1986 IMT 539
Multiple Ford 8Ns that aren't any good

Postby John C » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:16 pm

Thanks Bill, There is a happy ending - I kept trying and finally decided that the oil must be there - maybe it was too clear to see. I would turn the crank a few times; then walk around to peer in the filter housing. Finally I just put my finger over the hole and turned the crank with the other hand. About the time I gave out of energy to turn anymore, I felt the oil gushing over my finger.

Then I fired up the motor and it ran great.

John
"If every day were a holiday, sport would soon become chore"

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:09 pm

Like said above it should still be primed. Just watch the gauge. But you could pull the spark plugs and use the starter till the oil pressure comes up there won't be any pressure on the bearings since there any be any compression.

When I was rebuilding gravely tractors I had an old Chevy oil pump with hydraulic fittings on it so I could attach it to the oil system on the gravely to pump it all up. I turned the pump with a 1/2" drill. I watched the gauge come up and seen oil at the top squirting. Then I knew it was ready to fire.

With my race engines I have a distributor with the drive gear turned down. This way the distributor body seals the oil gallerie ports then I turn it with the drill to prime the oil system till the gauge has pressure then I wait till the rocker arms squirted oil.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:12 pm

John, glad you got it going easy enough. :D
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Paul Van Benschoten
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12477

Postby Paul Van Benschoten » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:25 am

John C wrote:I squirted oil (over 1/4 cup) in the hole inside the filter housing;

There is a hole with plug just outside of the oil filter cap. Why isn't this used for priming the pump? I always see the recommendation to use the hole inside of the oil filter. Is this just a way to be neater as any excess oil will just drip into the filter area instead of down the side of the engine block?

The hole I am talking about is number 14 in this picture from TC-37F

Paul Van Benschoten

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:21 am

I agree, Paul. I avoid that oil filter cap gasket except for filter changes.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:39 am

I think a lot of folks avoid that hole either because they don't know what it is or because the hydraulic lines hide it and they are afraid of bending the lines to move them. I usually just stick a screwdriver between the two lines and gently separate them to get to the hole. Since John was working on this Cub he may have changed the oil and filter and had the filter top off anyway.

Circle of Safety

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:58 am

This is nowhere near the hydraulic lines. Not even on the same side of the tractor.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:01 am

bob in CT wrote:This is nowhere near the hydraulic lines. Not even on the same side of the tractor.

Hmmm...now that is one I never even considered.

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:33 am

One of the problems with those external holes is the plugs are so tight it is not unusual to break an allen wrench trying to remove them after 60 years. the hole bob is referring too is "T" d into the hole in the filter, and it is easy for much of the oil you pump in to run into the filter, and not into the oil galleries. I am lazier than John C, I use the starter to spin one till I see oil coming from the hole in the filter housing. Age and arthritis do not like spending a lot of time with the hand crank.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:30 am

The are several reasons that I always recommend using the hole inside the filter housing rather than the Allen priming port on the left side of the engine.

1) The Hyd lines are almost always in the way, forcing you to have to "move" them for access
2) Most people new to Cubs won't find the hole, and trying to explain where it is with text on this board usually takes several posts and a lot of typing.
3) Like John said, they are usually so tight that you end up breaking an Allen wrench or rounding out the plug itself.
4) I Iike to see the oil being pumped into the filter housing to know when the pump is primed.
5) Usually have the oil filter cap off anyway if the Cub is new due to oil and filter change.

Even with using the hole above the filter housing, the last three still apply.

Return to “Farmall Cub”