This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub-22 sickle bars

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Kr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42528

Re: Cub-22 sickle bars

Postby Jim Kr » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:30 pm

FWIW -
My original knife kept breaking about 5" from the Pittman. I welded it back together too many times and finally gave up on it. I went to T-S for a knife, but all they had was 12' for some other make. I took some measurements and the blade would fit into the groove, so I bought 2. I used a torch to cut one to my Cub 22 mower length, and redid the attach points. I works well. I got them cheap, as the store was going to pitch them.
Jim Kr is a grease-stained wretch

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:34 pm

Jim Kr wrote:My original knife kept breaking about 5" from the Pittman.

That often means that the hold-downs near the inner end of the bar are not holding down as closely as they should. The knife eventually fails due to metal fatigue.

Jim Kr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42528

Postby Jim Kr » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:51 pm

That's exactly why it was breaking. As I became more familiar with how it works, I was able to make the retainer parts. I used half of a gate hinge and drilled new holes in the metal. Blade moves smoothly now.

Necissity is the Mother of Invention.
Jim Kr is a grease-stained wretch

Return to “Farmall Cub”