This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

S&S of oil seal leak - '57 I-H Cub tractor

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Kr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42528

S&S of oil seal leak - '57 I-H Cub tractor

Postby Jim Kr » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:21 pm

I was using the tractor today. I stopped to clear some brush from the sickle mower and noticed oil dripping from the bell housing-engine joint. I took it back to the garage and the oil level had dropped to just touching the dipstick. :(

Would this be the oil seal, or is there something else in there that would cause this?

Anyone ever split a tractor?

Thanks,
Jim Kr is a grease-stained wretch

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: S&S of oil seal leak - '57 I-H Cub tractor

Postby Hengy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:28 pm

Sounds like the rear seal is leaking. There are lots of folks here who have split their tractors in the past. First and foremost is to put wedges between the ears of the front cultivator mount and the front axle to keep the engine from flopping to one side or the other when split. Without those, the front end will fall to the ground. You'll need a way to support both halves of the tractor (engine and torque tube). Search the forum a bit to see others methods of doing this.

One thing to consider is that you will need a remanufactured retainer to fit a new seal since the original OD seal is NLA. ID isn't a problem, but OD is not available. There are members of the forum who will rework your seal retainer and provide a good new seal for the rear of the crank.

While you are in there, it is a good time to check the throwout bearing, clutch and pressure plate as well. At a minimum, adjust your clutch fingers to the prescribed height and make sure that they are all equal...

Good luck and feel free to post lots of questions here!!

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Jim Kr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Kr » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:56 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply, Mike -

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I figured there were some "might as wells" to check while I was in there. I'll be looking for a seal retainer refit. Also, I can see where proper support of the halves is important. It may be a "cute little tractor," but it is a substantial piece of iron!
Stay tuned for the obligatory "dumb questions." :D

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:10 pm

Wish I lived closer to you. I'd love to help with the split. They are fun when you have company and assistance. It takes some "moving and shaking" to get them together when you are by yourself.
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:41 pm

Jim,
We did the rear seal on my '57 last fall at Cecil's CubFest Northeast. Not a bad job with a lot of hands.
We split the tractor to figure out how to adjust the Auburn Clutch that I had, decided to replace it...and while the hood was off...replace the rear main seal that was leaking.
Tim (tst) re-machines the retainer and inserts the correct seal. You can contact him via PM (Private Message) through the forum.
Here is a link to a "How to" on chocking the front axle so you don't flip the tractor over. http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18081&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=front+end+wedge

I'm not aware of a video showing a tractor split to replace the rear seal. If the front seal has not been done, you may want to take care of it at the same time.

Not sure who else on the forum is close to you that could jump in and lend you a hand. Check out the Member Map above.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Jim Kr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Kr » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:25 pm

Thanks for the fast replys and good information! Of course you'd all be welcome to help. I do have a neighbor that works on these things, so I'll have to hire him to teach me what he knows. My mechanical experience is limited to MG's of which the Cub is the agricultural equivalent.

This turn around on the seal retainer sounds like it won't be a one day fix. I'll have to clear some space in the garage.

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:11 am

Welcome to the club. Always good to greet another worshiper at the altar of MOWOG and battler of Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:48 pm

could be an overfilled tranny,leaking from the front seal. If it is the engine seal, Tim, (TST,on the forum remanufactures them) Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”