This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear flasher installation, new to me.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Criswell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48180
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub with
- 54 Blade
- 193 Moldboard Plow
- Woods 59 C-2 mower

Rear flasher installation, new to me.

Postby Criswell » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:28 pm

Just thought that I would share a couple fo photos of the "new" rear flasher for my Cub. I know that they did not start to appear until the mid-60's and that my Cub is a '52, so lets just call this an IH anachronism.

I was able to procure a complete rear flasher set-up from rterry (thanks again) and then just needed to get a couple of other items squared away before installation. I did not want to add any extra holes to the original sheetmetal on the Cub so I was able to find a junkyard fender and dash panel at the outrageous price of $2 each.

Once I got the positions laid-out for the mounting holes for the bracket and the new on/off switch in the dash, I thought that this would also be a good time to move the oil pressure gauge up to the dash, so I could actually see it. After all that was done I dropped the parts (plus a few others) off at the powdercoater, I think they turned out well.

A littel bit of wiring and some plumbing for the new oil pressure gauge and installation was a snap. The clips that you see on the bracket that are holding the wire in place are some wiring harness clips from a Ford Model A, they hold the harness to the frame rail on the Model A, but work equally well here. I also put in a bullet-end connector at this point should the need arise to take off the light and bracket. The two wires that you see above on the left side of the dash are for the horn. All-in-all everything turned out pretty well and the light is a lot brighter than you would think (6 volt).
Where you are, right now, is of absolutly no use unless you are able to get away from it, FAST!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rear flasher installation, new to me.

Postby indy61 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:44 pm

Nice horn, post a video of your options while they are working.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:17 pm

I can't identify what's on the right side of your Cub, but it looks like you might joust with it. :D Nice job on the installation.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Criswell
10+ Years
10+ Years
- 54 Blade
- 193 Moldboard Plow
- Woods 59 C-2 mower

Postby Criswell » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:32 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:I can't identify what's on the right side of your Cub, but it looks like you might joust with it. :D

Bob

That is a mid-30's Delco-Remy horn, with a 44oz trumpet extension. A 44oz foam drink cup fits inside the bell/trumpet of the horn and increases the volume of the horn, I know it may sound silly, but it works.

Where you are, right now, is of absolutly no use unless you are able to get away from it, FAST!

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:06 am

Interesting! I like the flasher idea, I was thinking of doing that but normally I don't have my Cub on the road after dark (like never). I might make one anyway because you never know. Nice job on the pressure gauge too. Where did you get the wire cover/insulation stuff, it looks like oem Cub material, from your model A too?
Criswell wrote:After all that was done I dropped the parts (plus a few others) off at the powdercoater, I think they turned out well.
I think so too. Looks good.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:38 pm

Very nice. Same comments/questions on the wiring covering. I like it better than the plastic stuff you buy. Also, is that Delco-Remy Horn an "oogah" style horn? I would love to have one of those. Now the search begins.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Criswell
10+ Years
10+ Years
- 54 Blade
- 193 Moldboard Plow
- Woods 59 C-2 mower

Postby Criswell » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:10 pm

Smokeycub wrote:Where did you get the wire cover/insulation stuff, it looks like oem Cub material, from your model A too?

For original electrical/wiring supplies I have always ordered from Rhode Island Wiring (riwire.com). The loom that is covering the wires is their non-metallic autoloom, it comes in a wide variety of diameters, just remember that you have to put the terminals on after you put the loom on. I also covered the tubing for the oil pressure gauge with the autoloom. They also offer a very wide selection of terminal ends (all electro-tinned, crimp and solder), connectors, fuse holders and just about anything else you may need if you are doing any type of period or restoration work. Although you can't see it in the photos, the wiring is cloth covered 12ga, black with a double yellow cross tracer. All of their wire is vinyl coated then has the cloth cover woven over it. In the one photo you can see the added ground cable going to the shifter, that is 00ga battery cable with the woven cloth covering as well. The bakelite bullet-end connector on the bracket was also supplied by riwire, they were also able to supply me with a new contact button and insulator for the lamp socket. I have been buying from them for years, modern vinyl wire and modern connectors on older equipment always bugs me.

The horn is a regular single tone Delco-Remy. You can pick up original non-working "ahooga" horns for not too much, and they are not that hard to fix. Don't be shocked if you try to buy a reproduction one though, last time I checked they were closing in on $300. They do make the reproduction horns in both 6 and 12 volt. The Delco-Remy that you see in the photo I got at a swap meet for $10, who can pass up a $10 horn, I know that I can't.

Return to “Farmall Cub”