This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Information on my Farmall Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jny221
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17201

Information on my Farmall Cub

Postby jny221 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:41 pm

Hello everyone. This is a cool little community you have here. I am here to find out information on my very own tractor.

I know it's kind of a strange request. Unfortunately, my father passed away recently and left behind many things, including a Farmall Cub. However, there is no paperwork or manual or anything so we have no idea about pretty much every detail about the tractor. My mother and I are trying to gather information about it in order to sell (we need the shed space).

Here's what we do know. The serial number is in the 58000's, which according to the serial number look-up on the main page means it's a 1949. It's red with a yellow plow. It has a back attachment I've been told is a "feeder" or something like that. It's a little rusty.

Here's what I would like to know. The HP, whether it's a 2WD or 4WD, how big the decks are, and how much tractors like this usually go for. We are pretty clueless so whatever little information we could get will help. Thanks.
Attachments
IMAG0357.jpg
IMAG0357.jpg (415.96 KiB) Viewed 552 times

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

PVF1799
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12009
eBay ID: kepara
Tractors Owned: 1929 Farmall Regular #T111250 (Original Owner)
1942 Farmall M #55654
1948 Farmall Cub #21005
1955 Farmall Cub #190769
1961 Cub Cadet #16509
1975 Cub Cadet 1250H
197x IH 990 Haybine
1994 JD 5320 Diesel
Attachments: Woods 42F Fast Hitch, L38 Disc Fast Hitch, F11 Plow Fast Hitch, Land Plow, Snow Plow, Grader Blade, Planter w/Fertilizer, Cultivators, Hilling Disks, Sickle Bar Mower(2), IH 7' Sickle Bar Mower, Flail Mower and 5' International Belly Mower.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Information on my Farmall Cub

Postby PVF1799 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:13 pm

Sorry to hear of the lose of your father.

If you use this link you'll be able to find all the information you need.

http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:33 pm

Does the tractor run? That is really a very big issue as to value.

What other attachments are with the tractor? Some attachments are worth more than a non running tractor.

With out seeing the tractor - $300- to $400- for a non running parts tractor to around $1500- for a tractor in good running condition.

A lot of photographs would greatly help.
I have an excuse. CRS.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:06 am

Sorry about the loss of your father.

From the one pic, I can see it appears to be in original shape by the paint and the decal in the front of the battery box. I'd say that the top to the box is around somewhere close. The tractor has the latch bar for a Cub-189 moldboard plow mounted behind the seat.
Like Eugene said, biggest issue is if it runs. That alone will easily double the value of the tractor. If you are going to sell it, then get it running, at least so that it can pull itself up on the buyers trailer.
Take a bunch of photos and post them here. We'll tell you what you have, if you are missing something, and a ball park figure of what's it worth.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:51 am

G'day to you and condolences on your family's loss.

The Owner's Manual will be of immense use so suggest you take a bit of time and read it. McCormick Farmall Cub Operator's Manual 5-1-49. You can also check the other manuals for the Implements to makes sure what goes with what. Complete implements are worth substantially more than implements missing parts. So finding any missing parts is really important.

As Raymond said, please post pics and we will help you identify the implements etc., and help value them. There are more resources available to our members at the links below.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of the most important resources are Owner's Manuals, Parts Catalogs and Service Manuals. The Cub Manual Server is the home of the jpg versions and the [url=http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php]PDF Manuals[/url] -- well the pdf's of course :wink: Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:59 am

Sorry about your Dad. Condolences. Like the others have said - the value depends on a number of factors like - does it run, does it smoke, hold water, the general condition of paint/sheet metal/tires/battery. ...and what implements are being sold with it. In answer to some of your questions, a 49 F-Cub has about 9 hp at the drawbar and it's two wheel drive.
jny221 wrote: how big the decks are
In regard to a mower deck, it could be a couple of different sizes. Post some more pictures and we can tell you more.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:22 am

jny221 wrote:Here's what I would like to know. The HP, whether it's a 2WD or 4WD, how big the decks are, and how much tractors like this usually go for. We are pretty clueless so whatever little information we could get will help. Thanks.

The manuals on Rudi's site will give you detailed info (follow his links above).

For a quick answer to your questions about HP, 2WD or 4WD, that can be found here: http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractor ... l-cub.html
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

jny221
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17201

Postby jny221 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:36 am

Wow, I didn't expect this much of a response. Thanks guys!

As for the HP, I've heard all kinds of things. One guy says 12, one says 9, a site says 10 or 11, so I don't really know. Also, we don't know if it runs. We don't know how to start it. I don't really know if I'd trust myself to start it and drive it around.

Here are some more pictures:
Attachments
IMAG0355.jpg
IMAG0355.jpg (356.64 KiB) Viewed 360 times
IMAG0354_BURST002 (1).jpg
IMAG0354_BURST002 (1).jpg (319.46 KiB) Viewed 360 times

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:56 am

jny221 wrote:Here are some more pictures:
Your pictures are showing up in the "post a reply" area for some reason. The yellow thingy on the tractor is a grading/snow blade. It sounds like you may need more help than we can offer through the site. I'm sure there are some members near you that may be willing to help you out and maybe even buy it. We still need more pictures of any other implements you may have. ...there they are!
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:57 am

Doesn't appear that the tractor has been sitting for along time. But, before you try starting the engine there are several things you must do to prevent engine damage. Prime the oil pump and or check to see if the lubrication system is working.

Horsepower, about 9 3/4 on the draw bar. You will find the horsepower listed with slightly different numbers, depending on the publication.

Thinking, at the bottom of the first forum page is a listing of states. Click on Pennsylvania, or near by state(s) and see if there is a Cub owner close by. Perhaps he/she would look over your Cub and equipment and provide a hand getting the tractor started.

Instructions for starting and operating the tractor are contained in the Operator's Manual, top of page, free down load.

Assumption. I'd bet one of Dad's neighbors is familiar with the tractor (cub) or tractors.
I have an excuse. CRS.

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJG » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:04 am

Hi,

You have a nice looking tractor. The blade can be used to plow dirt or snow. It can be mounted on the front or under the middle of the tractor. Your dad may have other attachments in the shed for the tractor. He may have used the blade for snow since I see extra weights mounted on both the front and rear tires. Also, some of the chains hanging on the wall may be for the back tires for snow removal.

Do you know when your dad last ran the tractor? If it has been a while then the gas should be drained and fresh gas placed. If it has been years then there may be some other issues like priming the oil pump before it is started. You can tell if the engine turns over simply by reaching behind the radiator and trying to turn the fan (this may be hard to do).

The battery appears to be hooked to a charger. You will need to determine if the tractor is 6 volts or 12 volts. If it has not been modified it is probably 6 volt with a positive ground cable, not a more typical negative ground cable.

Your tractor has a hydraulic lift. It also has a power take off for a mower or other attachment. The cub power take off will only work with cub-specific implements since it turns in the opposite direction of all other tractors.

As far as the horse power, it is about 9 horse power to the power take off and to the drawbar. The engine puts out more power, but part of it is used for the fan, etc. Of course, that is for a new engine. Your engine will have some amount of wear, maybe a little, maybe a lot, which will affect the horse power.

There are manuals on this site which will help. Also, if you know a friend, or a friend of a friend that is familiar with tractors that will help.

Make sure that you have old clothes on when working around the tractor. The grease will not wash out of your cloths.

Todd

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:10 am

jny221, I have sent you a PM.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:53 pm

Private message sent.
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Return to “Farmall Cub”