This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Mower Identification needed

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub Mower Identification needed

Postby Papa's Cub » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:19 pm

I saw a mower for sale with a fast hitch setup. It rides in the rear and the mower is driven by a drive shaft that hooks directly to the PTO shaft. It's not a finish mower...more like a bush hog. I believe it had a couple of wheels mounted on the back of it. It's been painted so I can't tell the original color. It appears to be in great shape. Hope I've given enough information for someone to Identify it and give it an approximate value. Thanks, Papa.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Cub Mower Identification needed

Postby Rudi » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:27 pm

Probably an IH Danco C-2 Rotary Mower 10-27-67

or similar. Does it look like the one above?

Fast hitch version probably $350.00 to $500.00 thereabouts depending on condition, location, availability and of course what the PO's want. That be the Present Owner and the Prospective Owner.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:30 pm

Or Woods:
Same value range, depending on location and condition.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:23 am

Probably the most common fast hitch mower is a Woods 42F
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:53 pm

If it turns out to be a Woods 42F and you don't buy it, ask the guy who is selling it if he would sell just the PTO drive shaft!! :lol:
I am STILL hoping to find one for my mower!!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:31 pm

Ohhhhhhhh,I am in a moral quandry here. I've been keeping a secret.

I have a PTO shaft that I got from SurplusCenter several years ago. It has the correct splines for a Cub PTO shaft.

The problem is, it has a ball detent rather than a cross-pin. The yoke would have to be drilled for the cross pin.

Can someone provide me with the open and closed length of one of those PTO shafts?

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:42 pm

I have the answer Matt.... 'depends'. I have 3 different types of mowers and I am pretty sure they are all different. Even between a Cub and Lo Boy they are different (at least the C-2 is). Seems they only have a short section that match the male end, the rest is just 'tube' to the . Some are splined, most are ALMOST square.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:03 pm

Buzzard Wing wrote:... most are ALMOST square.

For an excellent reason, to prevent lining up the universal joint out-of-phase. If the U-joint is 90 degrees out-of-phase, the results are not pretty, but the repairs are pretty ... expensive.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Redclip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44423
Tractors Owned: 1976 Cub

Postby Redclip » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:27 pm

Bill, can you explain what is meant by "universal joint out-of-phase" ?

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:36 pm

the u joints need to be indexed, make sure both u joints have the caps aligned against each other or they tear things up
tim

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Redclip wrote:Bill, can you explain what is meant by "universal joint out-of-phase" ?

I'll do my best.

Lets start with the fact that U joints are designed to operate in less that a straight line by flexing at each end of the shaft. Thus the knuckle (mounted on each end of the shaft) must be in the same plain in order to flex smoothly with little vibration. This is why most, but not all, of these shafts are designed somewhat rectangular, they only go together two ways, both of which are in-phase. A square shaft, and in rare cases a uniformly splined shaft can be joined out-of-phase and cause the shaft to pound a lot whenever the U-joints are flexed. As a young lad, I learned this the hard way. Needless to say that Dad was more than a bit displeased when I presented him with the broken U-joints.

I hope this helps. I know what I'm trying to say, however, it may be less than clear to others. So, ask questions if you don't understand what I said.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:32 pm

Here is a chart from wikipedia that shows the difference in speed between the input and output shafts of a u-joint at various operating angles. If the output from a universal joint is used to drive another u-joint and they are oriented the same way, the uneven speed will be multiplied. If they are oriented 90 degrees apart, the univen speeds will cancel each other and the output of the second will be at a uniform speed.
There are alternative designs of universal joints that don't act this way. They are called "constant velocity" joints, abbreviated "CV-joints". Common usage is in front wheel drive axle shafts.
More than you want to read about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CV_joint

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:47 am

This I understand.
Bill Hudson wrote:
Buzzard Wing wrote:... most are ALMOST square.

For an excellent reason, to prevent lining up the universal joint out-of-phase. If the U-joint is 90 degrees out-of-phase, the results are not pretty, but the repairs are pretty ... expensive.

Bill

This confuses me.
Jim Becker wrote:Here is a chart from wikipedia that shows the difference in speed between the input and output shafts of a u-joint at various operating angles. If the output from a universal joint is used to drive another u-joint and they are oriented the same way, the uneven speed will be multiplied. If they are oriented 90 degrees apart, the univen speeds will cancel each other and the output of the second will be at a uniform speed.

Jims chart (if I'm reading it right) shows the speed of the ends of a driven shaft can vary, by quite a lot. I can't visualize this. I can see how an out of phase shaft will have excessive stress. How can it have as much as 2X variation? I read the link and it didn't clarify my question. At the risk of sounding dumb (I'm usually pretty good at grasping most concepts) I gotta ask ...Is that saying one end of the shaft is actually turning faster than the other? ...or is it equating speed with stress and showing stress in the chart? What am I missing? :help:
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:40 am

For each revolution at the input, there has to be one revolution of the output. Otherwise the shaft would look like a twizzler after a little while.

If you connect the ends of the graph, you'll notice that they start and end at the same point.

The speed varies during the rotation. It slows down and speeds up as it turns.

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:21 am

Agreed.
Matt Kirsch wrote:For each revolution at the input, there has to be one revolution of the output

Isn't this simply stress on the shaft. While it may want to go slower/faster I don't see how it could.
Matt Kirsch wrote:The speed varies during the rotation. It slows down and speeds up as it turns

Again I must be missing something. Mechanically, I can't see how it can change it's speed, even within one revolution.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

Return to “Farmall Cub”