This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Another Cub, Advice Needed

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kpaine
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39735
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1950 Farmall Cub

Another Cub, Advice Needed

Postby kpaine » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:29 am

I am new to the Cub world and I recently purchased a 48 and I love it. I was having an oil pressure issue that I posted about and it ended up being the oil pressure gauge.

A buddy of mine's step dads mom has a cub out in the woods rusting away. I was told about it and my buddy said she was about to sell it to the scrap yard. I told him to tell her to wait and let me look at it. Well here it is.

IMG_0694.JPG
IMG_0694.JPG (87.29 KiB) Viewed 496 times

The serial number is not readable. I did not get any casting dates off of it. I guess it is still 6 volt but I am not sure how to tell. The battery is missing. The tractor appears to be stuck in reverse. I am guessing that removing the trans cover and shooting some PB blaster in there might let me get it in neutral?

I was told the tractor had a new carb installed and was running when parked here 12 to 15 years ago. Basically I am no mechanic (I can change oil and do some light maintenance, but I am not experienced beyond that) so the tractor will probably never run again. Worst case scenario I could use lots of parts off of it. Namely the hood because mine looks like this:
photo 2 .JPG
photo 2 .JPG (138.52 KiB) Viewed 496 times

So, the scrap yard tells the lady if she hauls it up to the scrap yard they'll give her $80. I was going to offer $100 and before I could I was told the price would be $300. I said that was more than I had in mind and offered double the scrap value at $160. I have not heard back on that offer. I guess the tractor is worth the $300 but I am curious to see what y'all think.

Thanks for the help.

Ken

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Another Cub, Advice Needed

Postby Barnyard » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:44 am

Based on $200.00 a ton for scrap metal around here a stripped Cub will will bring $140.00- $150.00. I'm sure scrap prices around the country are pretty much the same. That scrap company may be lowballing her. Now with that said, non running Cub will generally bring $300 to $500. If that Cub truly ran when parked and all parts are there it is worth the $300 she wants. If the engine turns over with a hand crank that makes it even better at that price.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:47 am

With only the info you have it's only worth scrap price. It is worth a look in person. I see cultivators are mounted on it. If it is a complete set and in decent condition then it is definitely worth 300.
Thomas

kpaine
10+ Years
10+ Years
1950 Farmall Cub

Postby kpaine » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:58 am

Barnyard wrote:Based on $200.00 a ton for scrap metal around here a stripped Cub will will bring $140.00- $150.00. I'm sure scrap prices around the country are pretty much the same. That scrap company may be lowballing her. Now with that said, non running Cub will generally bring $300 to $500. If that Cub truly ran when parked and all parts are there it is worth the $300 she wants. If the engine turns over with a hand crank that makes it even better at that price.

Barnyard, scrap prices here are $5-$6/100. I think if you don't pull the tires off, drain the fluids and remove all non steel you get penalized. I was surprised that the scrap price was that low. I believe them when they say it ran and the carburetor looks like it is new. I could not attempt to turn it over because it is stuck in gear.

tmays wrote:With only the info you have it's only worth scrap price. It is worth a look in person. I see cultivators are mounted on it. If it is a complete set and in decent condition then it is definitely worth 300.

Tmays the tool bars are mounted under the tractor and I was told there were a full set of plows. I only found 3 plows when I went and looked, but they say there are some more plows at another house. I will follow up on the plows. I will try to run back out there after work to see if I can locate more plows and see if I can get it out of gear.

What is the best way to try and turn over the engine if I don't have a hand crank?

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:10 am

With the carburetor and plows I would go back with 300 dollars and a trailer.

Take the shift cover off and check the forks, that may be why its stuck in gear.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

robertst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74604

Postby robertst » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:27 am

I don't know what you are waiting on .
I just bought a 48 last week for $400,The owner said it had been setting for 8 + yr inside storage will run but couldn't get oil pressure up, May just need oil pump primed has a Internationl C2 mower on it. Motor feels good pullig it thru with crank good resistance on all 4 cyl.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:46 am

it is a little hard to tell from that picture, but I believe it has the later model lift bracket for a Mott flail mower mounted on it. Even if you do not find the rest of the mower, there are frequently people looking for those lifts.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:13 am

It's really hard to tell accurately from the photo, but it doesn't look to me like the shifter is in reverse. Are you sure it's the transmission that is stuck and not the engine? There appears to have been no protection over the muffler to keep water out.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:18 am

I see rear weights too. If the other side of the hood looks as good and the tank isn't rusted out........that would be $200.00 right there.......give or take. I would be bartering between $200 and maybe up to $300. Look for things like the front rims...are they rusted through or are they usable.....rear rims and dishes....as far as the motor......i can't tell if the exhaust had a rain cap or not.......if not....the the motor's probably stuck.

kpaine
10+ Years
10+ Years
1950 Farmall Cub

Postby kpaine » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:30 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:it is a little hard to tell from that picture, but I believe it has the later model lift bracket for a Mott flail mower mounted on it. Even if you do not find the rest of the mower, there are frequently people looking for those lifts.

I am not familiar with the mower, but it does have a pulley mounted to the PTO. I will ask them about the rest of the plows and see if I can find out what happened to the mower.

I am going to go back out there today and see if I can get a deal done. It is so far back in the woods and it has not been publicly offered for sale so I was going to try and negotiate for a better price. I guess I just need to go ahead and get the deal done.

I've seen pictures of the transmission with the cover off. I am guessing you remove the cover bolts and the cover comes off? So do I lubricate the shift forks and shift rods with some penetrating oil and see if I can move the shift fork up or down the shift rod to get the transmission in neutral?

kpaine
10+ Years
10+ Years
1950 Farmall Cub

Postby kpaine » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:37 am

Don McCombs wrote:It's really hard to tell accurately from the photo, but it doesn't look to me like the shifter is in reverse. Are you sure it's the transmission that is stuck and not the engine? There appears to have been no protection over the muffler to keep water out.

Don, the shifter is stuck in one of the gears. I think its reverse, but it could be a forward gear. There is a rain cap on the exhaust.

Harold R wrote:I see rear weights too. If the other side of the hood looks as good and the tank isn't rusted out........that would be $200.00 right there.......give or take. I would be bartering between $200 and maybe up to $300. Look for things like the front rims...are they rusted through or are they usable.....rear rims and dishes....as far as the motor......i can't tell if the exhaust had a rain cap or not.......if not....the the motor's probably stuck.

Harold the hood is in good shape on both sides. I would like to have a set of wheel weights. The wheels appear to be in pretty good shape. The tires are dry rotted pretty badly.

If I can get the trans freed up I need to figure out a way to see if I can turn the motor over without a hand crank.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:56 am

kpaine wrote:Don, the shifter is stuck in one of the gears. I think its reverse, but it could be a forward gear. There is a rain cap on the exhaust.

These are both good things. Here is a photo of the trans with the cover off.

You can see how the shifting forks are lined up in neutral. This is what you want to see. Spray some Kroil or PB Blaster on everything and let it sit for a few minutes. Then start trying to move the shifter forks gently with a screwdriver. You're likely going to find the trans case full of water. It may be helpful to drain it on the spot, so take some tools with you. That way you can get the penetrant on everything.

You may be able to determine if the engine is stuck by trying to move the fan. But, if the belt is loose, this may not work. A crank is the best way.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:29 pm

I know Ebay is mostly a rip-off but just look at the parts for a cub and you can shell out 300 dollars nearly as fast as you can identify them .....I'd snap it up in a heartbeat....Your looking at a 150/200 for just the bonnet.....Dave
In Memory of 58,286

PVF1799
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12009
eBay ID: kepara
Tractors Owned: 1929 Farmall Regular #T111250 (Original Owner)
1942 Farmall M #55654
1948 Farmall Cub #21005
1955 Farmall Cub #190769
1961 Cub Cadet #16509
1975 Cub Cadet 1250H
197x IH 990 Haybine
1994 JD 5320 Diesel
Attachments: Woods 42F Fast Hitch, L38 Disc Fast Hitch, F11 Plow Fast Hitch, Land Plow, Snow Plow, Grader Blade, Planter w/Fertilizer, Cultivators, Hilling Disks, Sickle Bar Mower(2), IH 7' Sickle Bar Mower, Flail Mower and 5' International Belly Mower.

Postby PVF1799 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:28 pm

I see parts on there like rear wheel weights that I've paid a fair bit for. Like the previous post - take $300 and your trailer ASAP.

Ken

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:32 am

I don't think I'd try to turn it over. With all those accessories and attachments, you can get your money back out of it.
If you get it turning over and rolling, the current owner may decide it is worth more.
Drag it onto a trailer and take it home. Work on it at your place and at your pace.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Return to “Farmall Cub”