This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Smoking electrical system

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Smoking electrical system

Postby Posco » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:40 am

Hi folks. I put a new battery in my 1950 Cub and as soon as I hooked the positive lead to the battery smoke came out from under the hood. The tractor is new to me and it was converted from a six to a twelve volt system. Negative ground. I've momentarily tried swapping the battery connections and the ammeter swings all the way from one direction to the other when the leads at the battery are reversed. It stays 'pegged' in one direction or the other either way.

The battery was dead when I bought it but the seller could get it to run by hand cranking it. It does run just fine whether hand cranked or when I start it with the battery.

I'm pretty sure I blew the fuse as the lights no longer work and my hands are too fat to get another fuse in there to see if the damage is limited to the fuse. Love the little tractor and am nursing it back to health with all of the various lubricants it has been deprived of.

Any suggestions?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Smoking electrical system

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:00 am

Since it smoked when you connected the battery, I suggest removing the hood and inspecting the wiring for a bare spot, also look at the wiring diagrams in the manual sections and compare it to them. Since the previous owner was starting it with a crank rather than installing a battery, he probably knew there was a problem. Here is a copy of the most common wiring used for 12 volt conversion. Since the PO was starting it without a battery I assume it has a magneto, so you will not have the ballast resister and the wires connecting it. Instead you will just have a wire from the side of the magneto to the kill switch that grounds the magneto to stop the engine. Another possibility is a bad alternator.

diagram courtesy of Farmall Bob http://s101.photobucket.com/user/farmal ... t=4&page=1
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:41 am

Thank you for your help and another question if you would. I intend to rewire it tomorrow and am curious how critical the gauge of the wire is for the under hood wiring. Can I substitute 12 for 14 or 16 if Tractor Supply doesn't have what I need?

Once again, thank you and I wish I had become a Cub fan a long time ago. These things are great!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:59 am

Posco wrote:am curious how critical the gauge of the wire is for the under hood wiring. Can I substitute 12 for 14 or 16 if Tractor Supply doesn't have what I need?
Yup. You can use 12 wire gauge instead of the higher numbered, smaller diameter wire. No problem.

If you have an alternator you will need to use 10 gauge wire from the alternator back to the starter terminal connection.

Local hardware store carries 50 foot length spools of multi-strand electrical wire and wire terminal ends. They also have huge spools of wire and will cut off any length needed.
I have an excuse. CRS.

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:00 pm

I believe that you can always substitute larger (i.e. smaller gauge number) wire without problem.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:05 pm

Thank you. You guys are great.

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:41 am

Don't forget your diode going back to the switch or it won't shut off....Radio shack item....
In Memory of 58,286

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:42 am

I think the closest Radio Shack is forty miles away. Auto parts store?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:41 am

pickerandsinger wrote:Don't forget your diode going back to the switch or it won't shut off....Radio shack item....
You may or may not need the diode or lamp depicted in the wiring diagram. The purpose of the diode, a separate switch or the light bulb is to prevent the alternator from back feeding the ignition system. It is going to depend on which alternator is present, how the tractor's electrical system is wired, magneto or distributor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:54 am

As it's wired now, there is no diode present that I'm aware of and until i pull the hood I can't tell what alternator I have...if that's what you're getting at, Eugene.

I'm no electrician and I'm confused about something. Wouldn't the alternator make the magneto unnecessary or vice versa? Does one 'drop out' when the other is engaged?

I do appreciate your guys help.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:20 am

Posco wrote:Wouldn't the alternator make the magneto unnecessary or vice versa? Does one 'drop out' when the other is engaged?

You need both. The alternator charges your system. The magneto acts as a distributor and will also allow you start a Cub with a hand crank if the battery is dead or missing. If you remove the magneto you will need to install a distributor.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:16 am

Posco:

G'day to you and congrats :applause: on acquiring your new to you '50 Cub. The guys have been taking good care of you with your questions and I don't have a lot to add. I did experience the smoking phenomenon on my '47. Turned out to be some of the wiring at the light switch along with the resistor burning up. Rather quick fix.

However a couple things immediately jump out at me. You haven't pulled the hood so you really are not sure what you have. Most conversions usually entail the battery, coil, ballast resistor and light bulbs .. basically about it. Normally the generator is left in the system when a basic conversion is done. So you need to ensure that you have either a generator or an alternator before you start spending coin on parts. If it was just a basic 12 volt battery conversion on a Mag equipped tractor you have choices. You can go back to the original 6 volt positive ground .. it will require removing the ballast resister, replacing the light bulbs with 1133's and of course a new Group 1/19L 6 volt battery. Leave the existing gauge of wire in place, replace any damaged sections with an identical gauge. If you wish to keep it 12 volt, then 10 gauge wire is suitable. I am not a fan of 12 or 14 gauge on an ignition system. For cars/trucks it is different, but for tractors I prefer the heavier gauge wire.

This schematic would be more correct for your '50 Cub especially if there was no alternator conversion. With the 12 volt conversion you would have the ballast resistor as indicated in the previous schematic.

As I always mention, we have a lot of resources available to our members and I always encourage members to follow the links below and read the materials therein. These will go a long way to helping you out.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of the most important resources are Owner's Manuals, Parts Catalogs and Service Manuals. The Cub Manual Server is the home of the jpg versions and the [url=http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php]PDF Manuals[/url] -- well the pdf's of course :wink: Enjoy!.

Hope this helps a bit. Keep us posted on your progress.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:38 am

Rudi wrote:Posco:

G'day to you and congrats :applause: on acquiring your new to you '50 Cub. The guys have been taking good care of you with your questions and I don't have a lot to add. I did experience the smoking phenomenon on my '47. Turned out to be some of the wiring at the light switch along with the resistor burning up. Rather quick fix.

However a couple things immediately jump out at me. You haven't pulled the hood so you really are not sure what you have. Most conversions usually entail the battery, coil, ballast resistor and light bulbs .. basically about it. Normally the generator is left in the system when a basic conversion is done. So you need to ensure that you have either a generator or an alternator before you start spending coin on parts. If it was just a basic 12 volt battery conversion on a Mag equipped tractor you have choices. You can go back to the original 6 volt positive ground .. it will require removing the ballast resister, replacing the light bulbs with 1133's and of course a new Group 1/19L 6 volt battery. Leave the existing gauge of wire in place, replace any damaged sections with an identical gauge. If you wish to keep it 12 volt, then 10 gauge wire is suitable. I am not a fan of 12 or 14 gauge on an ignition system. For cars/trucks it is different, but for tractors I prefer the heavier gauge wire.

This schematic would be more correct for your '50 Cub especially if there was no alternator conversion. With the 12 volt conversion you would have the ballast resistor as indicated in the previous schematic.

As I always mention, we have a lot of resources available to our members and I always encourage members to follow the links below and read the materials therein. These will go a long way to helping you out.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of the most important resources are Owner's Manuals, Parts Catalogs and Service Manuals. The Cub Manual Server is the home of the jpg versions and the [url=http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php]PDF Manuals[/url] -- well the pdf's of course :wink: Enjoy!.

Hope this helps a bit. Keep us posted on your progress.

You guys are great and allow me to give you an update. It does have a distributor so I don't know what kind of a hybrid I've got. I went to Tractor Supply shortly after I posted this morning and picked up some bulk battery cable and an assortment of 10 gauge wire, connections and the like.

I wired it up the way it was...negative ground, ran a new cable from the battery to the starter and it took right off and my ammeter is holding in the middle. Baby steps. I think maybe the ride home on the trailer might have chaffed the wires which were already in poor condition. I'll still tap you guys for info when I dig deeper into other areas like polarizing the generator, etc..

As an aside. The seller told me the tractor was routinely serviced year to year by a guy who knows tractors. Forgive me for not yanking the oil dipstick when I initially surveyed the Cub. It was three quarts low. The gasket on the oil filter looked like it must have been put on in 1912. It was shot. The steering gear housing was bone dry and the transmission had 30 wt. gear water in it. Mocha! I pulled the rear axle housings and they were fine but I emptied them and put new gear oil in place. Drained the transmission and did the same. I'll be looking for some Hy-Trans when I get my courage up. Still a lot of fussing to be done under the hood.

The lugs on the front tires seem to have been loosened last just prior to the 1912 gasket change on the oil filter. I'll be ordering bearings and whatnot when the wife comes to understand what a gem we'll have.

Thanks guys, you're a nice group of people. The world needs more of that.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:23 am

Well then, the Battery and Ignition Packages for Tractors will probably be useful then :D

Posco wrote:As an aside. The seller told me the tractor was routinely serviced year to year by a guy who knows tractors. Forgive me for not yanking the oil dipstick when I initially surveyed the Cub. It was three quarts low. The gasket on the oil filter looked like it must have been put on in 1912. It was shot. The steering gear housing was bone dry and the transmission had 30 wt. gear water in it. Mocha! I pulled the rear axle housings and they were fine but I emptied them and put new gear oil in place. Drained the transmission and did the same.

This is pretty normal. One thing I have learned is to not trust much of what a PO says about the Cub. I go through it myself and see what is what before it gets put to work. A little Preventive Maintenance on acquisition can save a lot of heartache and wallet pain down the road.

Posco wrote:when the wife comes to understand what a gem we'll have

It won't take her long to appreciate that. One time getting seat time and you may have to find yourself your own ride :shock: Ahhh.. yeah .... it does work that way :lol:

Posco wrote:Thanks guys, you're a nice group of people. The world needs more of that.

This what we have always aspired to as a community. Help other folks with their toys as well as welcome them to the best forum community on the net :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:31 am

Posco wrote: I'll be ordering bearings and whatnot

Pull the bearings and clean them before ordering anything - They may just need to be re-packed.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Return to “Farmall Cub”