This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Crisis Continues

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub Crisis Continues

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:16 am

Yes, removing the main jet is how I usually check fuel flow.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:30 pm

It really sounds to me like an airflow issue. Either air cannot get into the engine (possibly due to a dirty air filter or a nest in the intake) or air cannot get out of the engine possibly due to a plugged up exhaust.
1) Temporarily remove the air filter hose from the carb and see if that helps. Also take a look at the choke to make sure the choke plate is staying open.
2) Poke around the exhaust pipe with a coat hanger bent like a hook and see if you can find something plugging it up.

Be careful because poking around a possible bees nest may require a speedy exit. :treadmil:
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35216
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:18 pm

:oops: :? I think this may have to be my last post on the forum. I looked inside my fuel tank with a flashlight. It appears pristine. I continued looking as I opened the valve, and I could see the valve stem rotating and screwing back to allow the fuel to flow. All looks as it should be. I removed the main jet and fuel flowed out of the carb. (I wish I actually knew how much should be flowing from that opening, and at what rate.) I removed each spark plug. They were all uniformly black, as if running rich, but did not appear to be oil fouled. I did a compression check and got a range from 118 to 121 lbs, which I think is quite acceptable. I then moved over to the magneto side to check the point gap. As I removed the magneto cap, the #2 plug wire fell off the cap tower!! I secured the plug wire, snapped back on the mag. cap, reinstalled the spark plugs and cranked up the Cub. It ran without dying!! I fear that I shall die from terminal embarrassment. Thanks to all who responded with helpful advice. All though none of you hit the nail on the head, at least I was encourrged to check out the ignition system which eventually resulted in the fix. I will now resign from the Farmall Cub forum. My shame is too great to ever darken these hallowed halls again. I will also be turning in my membership card for the IH Collectors Club. :worthy:
Since retirement, the things I miss most are the holidays!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:27 pm

Stanley:

Don't be silly .. :lol:

You have no idea how many of us have done stuff like that, I know cause I have ... not once, not twice but multiple times :big embarrased: It is all part of the learning curve. Not just that, and if anyone says they have never done this ... well I wouldn't believe em :roll:

Good thing is that you have learned a lot of stuff well and you were the one that finally diagnosed it and got it fixed. :applause: and that is the Rest of the Story !
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:27 pm

Ditto to what Rudi said. Lots of us have had moments like that. You are unusual because you admitted it. :lol:
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

birddog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54515

Postby birddog » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:54 pm

thiggy; I'm not sure about removing the jet to check flow but I believe that it should give a good indication as to flow. Generally but not always, if you have a lack of fuel problem, when choking it, the engine should run better. At least for a little bit. Although thinking about it, in your case where you can't advance from an idle, maybe not.
Mark "birddog" Birdeau
Circle of Safety

Randy Tuura
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55733
Tractors Owned: 1949 FCUB

Postby Randy Tuura » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:33 pm

Glad you figured it out. I was all set to tell of a similar situation years ago which involved a broken spring in a J4 Mag (I think that's what our local expert called it) on another 1949 cub.
Randy
Machinist since 1973
15 years in the toolroom with Tool & Die Maker experience

brichter
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32449
eBay ID: Kinardhippy
Skype Name: Billy.Ray.Richter

Postby brichter » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:47 pm

Thiggy, I've done things that make that look like a pure genius act. There are people on this forum who could blackmail me forever if they wanted to. Just to keep them quiet on some of my more brainy stunts.
If you're gonna dream or steal, do it BIG

The best things in life aren't things.
1951 Cub
1963 Corvair
lots more junk

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:26 pm

thiggy wrote: My shame is too great to ever darken these hallowed halls again. I will also be turning in my membership card for the IH Collectors Club.

It's a good thing we didn't show you the secret handshake while you were at DSCF! :lol:
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:31 am

I'm not even going to begin to come clean!!!!!!!!!! :big smile: If you didn't see it, it didn't happen! Vern

olebluegrassboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42378
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub, 55 Farmall 100, 35 10-20 mc cormick

Postby olebluegrassboy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:06 am

I was mowing when when the cub suddenly died, I restarted it, let out the clutch, died. tried it again, died. Started checking to see why I'm not getting fuel, have plenty of gas, have flow, cleaned the main jet. I'm getting back on to try it again when I look down and realized the mowing deck is plowing into the yard! A tree limb had knocked my touch control lever all the way back. I was sure it wasn't getting fuel, when all I had to do look down. Dale.
Dale
"It's better to regret the things you've done than the things you didn't do."
Still can't help to think "Wish I hadn't of done that!"

Return to “Farmall Cub”