This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Adjusting The Timing, Let me Make Sure I've Got This Right..

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DieselDennis
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39042
eBay ID: ccbil
Tractors Owned: '48 Cub (Great Granddaddy's)
And some bigger ones.....

Adjusting The Timing, Let me Make Sure I've Got This Right..

Postby DieselDennis » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:53 pm

Our Cubs are rated to fire at 16 degrees before top dead center at 1800 RPM.

So I'm going to go make a mark on the outside of the pulley that's aligned with the punch mark on the face of pulley. Then I'm going to go down (if you're looking into the pulley from the carb side) 16 degrees, or 0.644", and make a second mark (perhaps a mark that most of you with the later pulley have already). When this puppy is running, the timing light should be firing when my second mark crosses the pointer. And this would make sense since my second mark would cross the pointer before my first mark does (and this would agree with the BTDC). Then I adjust the distributor from there until it does.

I think my issue is my timing light is smarter than me. I bought a used digital light off eBay in order to get the tach feature. My engine was running anywhere from 1780-1810 so I was really pleased. But when I hit the decrease button to go down to -16, it went to 180. So I took 16 from 180 and went down to 164. I was trying to get the mark to line up, but quit when it started sounding terrible and it was obvious from the distributor that I had gone too far.

Looks like the old school way is still the best way.
'48 Cub 12V Conversion, Zenith Carb, Electronic Ignition

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Adjusting The Timing, Let me Make Sure I've Got This Rig

Postby Bill V in Md » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:59 pm

Dennis,

The manual says 16 degrees BTDC @ 2,000 rpm.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:34 pm

timing a C-60 with a light is easy to do but performance wise I have never hand any luck doing it that way. My preference is to advance the timing by ear under a heavy load. usually with 59" woods. I advance till i hear the valves ping then back off till pinging quits. I shut down to make sure it restarts like it should. The further you can advance timing on any engine with the valves not pinging the more torque it will develope. My old friend George willer told me that many years ago.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

DieselDennis
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39042
eBay ID: ccbil
Tractors Owned: '48 Cub (Great Granddaddy's)
And some bigger ones.....

Postby DieselDennis » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:11 pm

Clark,

Timing by ear is what I have been doing. And believe me that it sounds what I think is wonderful. But I can't make heads nor tails of what the timing light is telling me. I am interested in maxing out the torque though, as getting the C-2 belly mower spinning better is one of my hopeful outcomes of this timing adjustment.

The following pictures speak for themselves. She sounds good where she is, but somehow or another it looks like I'm approximately 90 degrees off. I've checked multiple ways that I've got the clip on the #1 wire. You can see where I had to digitally adjust the light to get the 16 degree mark to line up with the needle. How much can you twist the distributor and the engine keep running? It seems like there's probably 30 degrees of adjustment without much noticeable change.

Like I said, she sounds just fine. Drives around good. Won't spin the belly mower for nothing. I'm just trying to dial in the timing as it's what's best for the electronic ignition. Then put this baby to work !

'48 Cub 12V Conversion, Zenith Carb, Electronic Ignition

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:30 pm

You may want to adjust on the mower a bit. Make sure that the advance weights are free and set it by the light to TDC at a low idle. If it advances about an inch past the TDC mark [ if you do not have the second mark] it is OK in the timing department.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:46 am

Good post Clark....
In Memory of 58,286