This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Torquing spark plugs?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Torquing spark plugs?

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:23 pm

Clicker type would be the best with the plugs if you are going to use one, not a lot of room for the old type
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:07 pm

Posco wrote:.......
So you trust the old pointers better than the clickers? There's machinery at work I torque on a daily basis and they wrenches are the 'clicker' variety. Keeping them in calibration always crosses my mind........
If the beam type is stored where it does not become damaged, it has very little chance for getting out of calibration. I like the new clickers, they are very handy, especially the newer ones that have a sound rod inside the hollow handle. I simply once or twice a year tighten some bolts with the clickers then use the beam wrenches to verify the setting. Many of the clickers say that between uses the adjustment should be backed down to ZERO. According to the manual that came with mine, that is to distribute the special lubricant they use inside them. At the end of each job I use one on I back it off and leave it till the next time needed. Of course for me that may be several weeks.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:19 pm

Posco wrote:I'm new here and to start off on the right foot I should probably clear my conscience and part with a nasty little secret...my first thoughts of a tractor were of a Kubota. I didn't know what a Farmall Cub was. I was in the market for a small tractor to haul some trees out of the woods, I had no idea it could lead to some sort of obsession.

I got that off my chest, so if you guys are still willing to help me I'll keep plugging away on giving this thing another sixty years of life.

Most of us are charter members of the Cub 12 Step program :big smile: so no worries there ... :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:07 am

I think I should clarify... I have not used a torque wrench on my spark plugs, but perhaps should. When I said "two finger tight", I did not mean only finger tight in the hole. I use a ratchet/socket on mine with the hood on, and the plugs are tight using the wrench. Two finger tight referred to two fingers on the end of my ratchet handle. I definitely get crush on the ring on the plug and not just finger tight in the hole.

Sorry for the confusion all...

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:11 am

Hengy wrote:I think I should clarify... I have not used a torque wrench on my spark plugs, but perhaps should. When I said "two finger tight", I did not mean only finger tight in the hole. I use a ratchet/socket on mine with the hood on, and the plugs are tight using the wrench. Two finger tight referred to two fingers on the end of my ratchet handle. I definitely get crush on the ring on the plug and not just finger tight in the hole.

Mike

No confusion here, I understood exactly what you meant. As I have gotten older and arthritis set in, I use more than two fingers though. If it is a bad day I may only use one finger to tell the cub how I feel though. Changing spark plugs on a cub is where I learned to really appreciate a swivel head ratchet.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:14 am

With 5:1 compression and a top rpm of 1800, it doesn't take much "torque" to keep combustion pressure within the combustion chamber.

Check for debris and pitting on the plug seats, that makes an avenue for pressure losses that torque specs and compression gaskets can not seal.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:21 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:[If it is a bad day I may only use one finger to tell the cub how I feel though.

:bellylaugh: :bellylaugh: :bellylaugh:

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:14 pm

Torque wrenches are definitely needed for certain applications.....But spark plugs is a bit of a stretch, IMHO....I have spark plug kits for chain saws, motor-cycles, snow-blowers, roto-tillers, various socket sets etc etc etc....No torque wrenches were included...LOL...I'd go with Hengy, just snug it up....
In Memory of 58,286

farmallrax
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 95004

Postby farmallrax » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:47 pm

Hi, I am doing the same thing right now and my manual says if no torque wrench, go 1/2 turn past finger tight. (35 ft lbs with wrench). I just sent a plea for help as can't figure out how to get the old spark wires out of the ring encasing them that is attached to a bracket held with one of the head bolts. My manuals have been reprinted so many times the views are not readable. Any suggestions? tnx lyn - aromas ca

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:59 pm

Lyn:

farmallrax wrote:I just sent a plea for help as can't figure out how to get the old spark wires out of the ring encasing them that is attached to a bracket held with one of the head bolts.

Haven't seen that one yet .. but I had the same problem until I realized that the spark plug wires are fed through before the ends are put on :roll: :oops:

farmallrax wrote:My manuals have been reprinted so many times the views are not readable. Any suggestions? tnx lyn - aromas ca

Yup .. you can access the manuals on my server in Jpeg format - Manuals or the pdf versions - [url=http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php]PDF Manuals[/url].

Also, I regularly as in 3 or 5 times a day check :eBay: for Owner's Manuals for all the Cubs and the implements that go with it. I do not buy as a rule photocopies/reprints/cd's (as most of them contain the exact same manuals that are on the server for free.... :roll: ) .. I look for only original IH or OEM manuals. Those will always be the best to acquire. Usually they can be had reasonably affordable.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Postby Posco » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:37 pm

Hengy wrote:I think I should clarify... I have not used a torque wrench on my spark plugs, but perhaps should. When I said "two finger tight", I did not mean only finger tight in the hole. I use a ratchet/socket on mine with the hood on, and the plugs are tight using the wrench. Two finger tight referred to two fingers on the end of my ratchet handle. I definitely get crush on the ring on the plug and not just finger tight in the hole.

Mike

I don't feel as though you lead me astray, Mike. Have you seen the price on those snap-On torque wrenches? Wow! This is turning into an expensive obsession. Got to get me another Cub or two before the hoarders scarf 'em all up.

Bamacub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bamacub » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:23 am

When you think you have plugs tight, start the engine, spray some wd40 around the plug. Most will have some compression leak, this is hard to see with the hood on. I have chased the treads and fixed the leaks. Use a little never seize on the plugs and they will come out easy.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:18 pm

Rudi wrote:........Most of us are charter members of the Cub 12 Step program :big smile: so no worries there ... :lol:
12 step?? Maybe that is whats wrong. I thought it was just 3 steps:
1- buy a cub
2 - buy more cubs
3 - live happily ever after.

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:29 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:12 step?? Maybe that is whats wrong. I thought it was just 3 steps:
1- buy a cub
2 - buy more cubs
3 - live happily ever after.
John, you forgot #4 and #5......4. Join FarmallCub.com
5. Discuss torquing SparK Plugs

But Rudy is probably closer with the 12 step program...... :lol: Dave
In Memory of 58,286

Return to “Farmall Cub”