This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

discharge nozzle in carburetor

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: discharge nozzle in carburetor

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:20 pm

Eugene wrote:Check needle valve and seat and gasket for fuel leak.

Some place on this board is photos and a description of bench testing carburetors for leaks and fuel level.

Edit: Search "bench test carburetor" on this site. 11 hits.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:02 am

Arnold wrote:The visible leak is inside the air intake chamber from a port in the cylinder wall above and behind the shutter assembly.

Do you mean the choke? I do not have a carb in front of me but I can't think of a port behind or down stream of the choke. There is a port upstream that goes to the bowl, if the the bowl overflows then it can leak out of that hole.

glennhuff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97458
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub

Postby glennhuff » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:06 am

I might be way off on this, but if you bought a NEW carburetor wouldn't it be a Zenith carburetor? I know you called it an IH carb, but does that mean that it says IH on the bowl, or that you got it from the dealership? Just thought that this might be the source of some confusion.

glenn

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:29 am

Some aftermarket suppliers now offer a new carburetor that is much like (identical to?) the original IH unit.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:36 pm

IH 3/4" Updraft Carb

New Reproduction Carb

IHS738 at Steiner Tractor
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:15 pm

Bus Driver wrote:Some aftermarket suppliers now offer a new carburetor that is much like (identical to?) the original IH unit.

Not quite identical, but a good carburetor...

viewtopic.php?f=139&t=20230
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Arnold
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Arnold » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:53 pm

I'll answer the latest questions.
Don - Yes I mean the choke. I called it the shutter assembly as is written on the schematic seen in earlier post. The port is above and to the left as you look in from the air intake. Fuel drips down almost invisibly but fills the cylindrical air intake about 1/4 high so that when the rubber hose is taken off it is like a waterfall.
Glenhuff - It is not a Zenith. I checked with Hoober Case/IH and with the invoice numbers it is an IH remanufactured carb. It has no markings on it at all.
Bus driver - Yes it is identical to the original as IH told me.
Rudi - Your photograph is it.
Don - The post you wrote and photos reviewing the carb describes mine. The photo of the needle and notched seat are the same. I've looked in the carb with a magnifying glass and have been impressed at how smooth the metal is.

I had to put things away for a few days but will go through bench tests tomorrow.

Thanks all.

Arnold
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Arnold » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:52 pm

I carefully pulled apart the carburetor and inspected the halves' cork gasket that came with the kit. It was put on and off several times and developed a few tears. The gasket screw hole at the fuel bowl side does not line up correctly pushing the cork inwards toward bowl. Also along this edge there is a bit of an inward curve of extra gasket material. It seems as if the fuel causes the cork to swell. When the gasket was original and later dried from dis-assembly the inward curve was clear by measurement and clear by hearing the bowl rattle inside. When reassembled it seems that the cork swells enough to eventually impair the float movement. I reinstalled the original black thin gasket (see Don' photo) and have had no leaking.

It seems the solution was to replace the needle valve gasket and discharge nozzle gasket with new gaskets covered in Permatex 2 sealant. The cork gasket should either be trimmed on the inside bowl side, redrill the bowl side hole, or not use it at all.
Attachments
cork gasket for halves.jpg
carb halves cork gasket
cork gasket for halves.jpg (139.42 KiB) Viewed 321 times
Last edited by Arnold on Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:16 pm

"the cork swells enough to eventually impair the bowl movement" Do you mean the float movement?
Give us a report early next week on the (hopefully) success of the latest effort.
If necessary to hold gaskets in place, auto weatherstrip cement can be used on the bowl gasket surfaces. I well remember when Goodyear introduced PlioBond , which is similar to the weatherstrip cement, about the time of the Korean War.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:24 pm

Arnold,

What is the source of the gasket shown in your photo? Thanks.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Arnold
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Arnold » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:47 pm

Thanks Bus driver I edited my post saying it affects float movement.
The photo of cork gasket on TM's website shows a straighter bowl side form. As long as the hole is correctly punched out.

I bought my deformed cork gasket as needle valve kit from Naylor Tractor Parts, Liberty, Ohio. When I called Hoober (finally took four weeks) and other suppliers in early June no one had a kit in stock except Naylor.

When I later contacted Hoober Case/IH for their needle valve kit they said the 'all steel needle' is not made anymore, only rubber tipped are available.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:56 pm

Obviously the parts guy at Hoober ain't exactly up to snuff on his parts now is he?

That is one of the reasons why TM Tractor is a good place to get parts. Usually out that day or next .. be surprised at how fast it gets delivered. Blows me away when they ship me stuff up here -- faster than local dealers could hope to be. :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Arnold
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Arnold » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:56 pm

Update: I used the tractor a few times during the week and all week left the fuel cock full open to see how my carburetor fixes would react. There were no leaks. I reused the original thin black gasket for the halves and it became waterlogged with fuel and fuel seeps out slightly. I will put in a cork gasket from TM. And when not using the cub I will close the fuel cock and run the engine draining the carb.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:22 am

Shutting off the fuel and running the carburetor dry is a good practice -- but not so convenient. Some of the early John Deere tractors used that as the standard shut-down procedure.
With battery ignition, it is easy to forget to shut off the ignition after the engine stops. The consequences of that can be significant.

Return to “Farmall Cub”