This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Best Paint Stripper

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
PVF1799
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12009
eBay ID: kepara
Tractors Owned: 1929 Farmall Regular #T111250 (Original Owner)
1942 Farmall M #55654
1948 Farmall Cub #21005
1955 Farmall Cub #190769
1961 Cub Cadet #16509
1975 Cub Cadet 1250H
197x IH 990 Haybine
1994 JD 5320 Diesel
Attachments: Woods 42F Fast Hitch, L38 Disc Fast Hitch, F11 Plow Fast Hitch, Land Plow, Snow Plow, Grader Blade, Planter w/Fertilizer, Cultivators, Hilling Disks, Sickle Bar Mower(2), IH 7' Sickle Bar Mower, Flail Mower and 5' International Belly Mower.
Circle of Safety: Y

Best Paint Stripper

Postby PVF1799 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:14 pm

I'm ready to begin cleaning the torque tube and transmission housing on Rex (48). I've donned my mask and tried wire brushes of different kinds. I'm unhappy with the results, the dust and the time it's going to take to do this correctly - which in my mind is bare metal.

For this purpose what do ya'll like to use? I checked TP Tools and don't see anything listed there.

Regards, Ken

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Re: Best Paint Stripper

Postby Rob in NH » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:22 pm

aircraft stripper works great but i stay away from that stuff. to toxic for me and then you have to deal with the waste.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:31 pm

Ken:

Go to the dollar store and buy their oven cleaner. Wear them yellow rubber gloves, and apron and a respirator. You will have to clean the torque tube well and then neutralize the oven cleaner before you could prime it.

You also have the sand blast cabinet. For the torque tube and the other major castings it should fit in the cabinet. That would be about the easiest I would think. They would just have to be cleaned well afterwards also.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:38 pm

Rudi wrote:Ken:

Go to the dollar store and buy their oven cleaner. Wear them yellow rubber gloves, and apron and a respirator. You will have to clean the torque tube well and then neutralize the oven cleaner before you could prime it.

You also have the sand blast cabinet. For the torque tube and the other major castings it should fit in the cabinet. That would be about the easiest I would think. They would just have to be cleaned well afterwards also.

It would take one big cabinet :D Paint stripper from any auto parts store will work well, but makes a mess if you are going to blast it do it outside no way will you be able to do it in a cabinet
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:58 pm

forgot to mention that if you do use strippa make sure to get every spec of paint and primer off the tube or it could cause you paint problems later on.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:02 pm

Ken:

I should have asked how big your cabinet was. I never think of the limits of store bought stuff so Boss is right, no way a torque tube will fit in a store bought cabinet. A custom cabinet like the one that Ed has would be big enough though, of that I am pretty sure.

I plan on putting all of my larger castings into my large e-tank. (projects .. I gots oodles and oodles of projects :roll: )

Yup, forget the sand blaster .. not a good idea unless it is done outside. Oven cleaner will be alright. It is caustic but it is a lot better than any of the commercial strippers ... not only are they highly caustic they are very hard on the respiratory system. I have been stripping and refinishing antiques in my shops for a very long time. I have used water borne strippers as well as chemical strippers. Most commercial strippers are quite dangerous to use without the proper gear and must be neutralized.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:10 pm

Rudi, if you e-tank, what about he glyptal paint on the inside?
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:17 pm

I don't know, I guess I will find out when I do the parts I guess. MIght have the tank ready to go in a couple months if I am lucky. Then we will know. I have two torque tubes sitting on the shelf that need dipping.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:20 pm

I like cleaning down to bare metal too however, if the paint is adhered to the torque tube so well that it is difficult to get off, it will probably serve as a good base coat for the new paint.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:26 am

danovercash wrote:Rudi, if you e-tank, what about he glyptal paint on the inside?

I've E-Tanked torque tubes, transmissions, final castings etc and have yet to lose any glyptal that was properly applied. Machine shop engine block tanking can be harder on the glyptal.

frederick
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 95125
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub hi-crop

Postby frederick » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:58 am

ricky racer wrote:... if the paint is adhered to the torque tube so well that it is difficult to get off, it will probably serve as a good base coat for the new paint.

second that. feather the edges with the wire bush, wipe with lacquer thinner and paint.
I've fixed electrical problems with a hammer

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:43 am

I have never been able to get oven cleaner to remove paint, good for grease, but I have not seen any effect on paint. Even with a brand name oven cleaner.

Sand blasting will take to bare metal. If that is not an option then Klean-strip paint remover or similar brands from lowes works well. Get the paste type and put on thick. Remove the paint with a scraper while still wet.

Power wash afterwards.

I would not paint over the old paint no matter how tight unless you are sure the new paint is compatable with the old.

torchred89
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20164
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall cub

Postby torchred89 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:39 pm

A friend of mine has a 100 gal plastic barrel. I think he used baking soda in the water. Then a rod hooked to a battery charger. He left the cub parts in it for a week. They came out spotless.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:59 pm

Bill E Bob wrote:
danovercash wrote:Rudi, if you e-tank, what about he glyptal paint on the inside?

I've E-Tanked torque tubes, transmissions, final castings etc and have yet to lose any glyptal that was properly applied. Machine shop engine block tanking can be harder on the glyptal.

Thanks Bill, good to know that there is some experience here to back up my feelings on it. I is much happier again :{_}:

torchred89 wrote:A friend of mine has a 100 gal plastic barrel. I think he used baking soda in the water. Then a rod hooked to a battery charger. He left the cub parts in it for a week. They came out spotless.

That is an e-tank or electrolysis tank. One of my favourite shop tools :D

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:48 am

If you use paint stripper, apply it with a brush and then wrap it with plastic sandwich wrap to seal it. I used to use wax paper on furniture tops- it is a little easier to handle on flat surfaces. You can leave it working for days without it drying out and it usually takes care of all the paint with one good application. use mineral spirits and coarse steel wool after scraping. A lot of strippers have paraffin in them to seal the surface much like using the wax paper or plastic wrap. You need to get that off before painting. If you are using a more modern paint system (IH paint is 1930's chemistry), you may have compatibility problems if you leave old paint, as Rob mentioned.

Return to “Farmall Cub”