This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Restoration threads

FarmallCub.Com forum rules, suggestions, feedback & information.
Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Restoration threads

Postby Dennis » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:53 pm

Cubbers,

I received this great suggestion from Mike the other day and wanted to ask our members how we can implement this idea.

Please read his PM to me below:

Restoration threads...a humble suggestion...
Sent: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:44 pm
To: Dennis

Hi Dennis!

Just wanted to mention something that I saw on another forum (VW Beetle related) that I belong to and see if it could apply to FC forum. On their forum, members who are doing a restoration of a car typically start a thread titled something like "My 1968 Restoration" or "my 1956 Custom Pickup Hotrod"... Then the folks put all of their pictures from that work in the thread to keep a running tab on their restoration progress.

I am taking for example Ken's threads that he posts regarding his rebuild of his Family's 1948 Cub. I am really enjoying following his rebuild, but with all of his posts scattered by part that he is restoring, it is difficult to follow the complete progress of the whole project. If he had a thread that detailed the whole process, the rest of us could look at the beginning to the end of the project and comment about the progress as it is proceeding. Any technical questions that come up regarding an individual restoration are posted in its own thread, like we do now, but "progress" pictures are posted in the "rebuild thread".

On the VW forum, many of the members put a link to the rebuild page on the signature line in the profile so that people can click through and find that member's thread easily and it promotes those.

Just a suggestion to help guys like Ken who are doing a GREAT job on their cubs to be able to share their progress with the world...

Thanks again for a great forum!

Mike Hengelsberg
Mike in Gibsonia, PA

Please post your thoughts and suggestions on how we can implement this idea.

Thanks,
Dennis

PS: I'll piggyback on this to remind everyone that I'm still looking for good photos of your Cub(s) for the 2014 calendar! It would be a great place to show off your finished restoration project or your hardworking Cub.
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Restoration threads

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:19 pm

Would that fit in as part of the projects forum, or maybe as another heading in the cub section?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:49 pm

Dennis,

I think this is a great idea, stand-alone restoration thread forum. I don't have a suggestion for implementation, the suggestions already put forth have merit as will others that will be brought forth.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:22 pm

I like the idea of a restoration threads, I've started one in the numbered series forum that I'll eventually get back to!

I don't know if I like the idea of a restoration forum, or section. I think it would be best to keep the thread in the section that applies to the item, and those that currently exist.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:54 pm

I agree with Raymond in that it should be a thread on the main forum and not a separate forum by itself.

I just think that some of the folks who are spending a great deal of time documenting their restoration or customization projects could help others to see what they did from beginning to end. Rather than specific parts of the process getting buried in the forum threads.

Cool?
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:14 pm

My thought is, if it is a separate section we can see each members progress, whether it is being done today or is from two years ago, without having to search for it in the Cub section. That way, if somebody is looking for something specific they could scroll through the section easier. The way it is now, a restoration today would well be 20 or 30 pages down the line in a year or so.

Just my 2¢.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:45 pm

Forgoodnesssake, please don't add another separate forum!

If someone wants to start a restoration thread, just have them PM Dennis and make it a sticky. Then it would be easily found. But please, please, please no more extra forums.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:31 pm

Super A wrote:If someone wants to start a restoration thread, just have them PM Dennis and make it a sticky. Then it would be easily found.

Then after there are so many restoration posts, all the stickies will be on top and the Cub repair requests will start on page two. It would end up like the for sale section did. By adding another forum it will be easier to find. What if manuals weren't indexed, how would you find what you needed to make a repair with out looking through each page to find what you want? It is the same with a new forum. A person looking for something can find it easier. If everything was in one forum, then the poor guy looking for his post from yesterday would have to page through several "Happy Birthday" and "Off Topic" joke posts that may have popped up today.

This web site has a huge following. It has that following because members can find what they need by simply going to the right section. If people had to search for their posts by scrolling through page after page, they would soon leave and go elsewhere.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Dennis
Site Admin
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:44 pm

Hengy wrote:I agree with Raymond in that it should be a thread on the main forum and not a separate forum by itself.

I just think that some of the folks who are spending a great deal of time documenting their restoration or customization projects could help others to see what they did from beginning to end. Rather than specific parts of the process getting buried in the forum threads.

Cool?

Mike, is this how they do it on the vw forum and it works well?
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

[cos][/cos]

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:31 am

Barnyard wrote:
Super A wrote:If someone wants to start a restoration thread, just have them PM Dennis and make it a sticky. Then it would be easily found.

Then after there are so many restoration posts, all the stickies will be on top and the Cub repair requests will start on page two.

I could live with that. It gets confusing (and time consuming when you're on a slow www connection like I am half the time, trying to get from one forum to another depending on what you're looking for.) In reality I don't think there would be that many restoration stickies in the first place if that was the method chosen.

If new forums keep getting added to this site, it will eventually get so well-organized you can't find anything. I don't believe the proliferation of sub-forums has much to do with the following on this site. Just take a look at the classifieds section webpage. You can hear the crickets chirping....

Just my preference
Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Dennis
Site Admin
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:20 am

OK, lets get back on track with Mike's suggestion and my question:
Hengy wrote:1. Members who are doing a restoration of a car typically start a thread titled something like "My 1968 Restoration" or "my 1956 Custom Pickup Hotrod"... Then the folks put all of their pictures from that work in the thread to keep a running tab on their restoration progress.

Members will need to encourage other members to start "Restoration threads" -- there is no other way for this to work and it is not the responsibility of the mods or myself organize this activity.
2. On the VW forum, many of the members put a link to the rebuild page on the signature line in the profile so that people can click through and find that member's thread easily and it promotes those.

This is an excellent idea and an easy way to keep track of a members restoration thread. It is easily completed with a cut & paste in the members signature line.

I do not think we need a forum/sub-forum or "stickies". As a restoration progresses, the thread will pop back to the top when the restorer adds additional progress posts until it is completed and all the accolades are given.

I like this idea a lot. If you like this idea too, you, will have to encourage the idea of "restoration" threads or it will not happen. (I consider this idea a community activity and not a moderator or admin duty.)

Lets make this happen,
Dennis

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:28 am

Dennis wrote:OK, lets get back on track with Mike's suggestion and my question:
Hengy wrote:1. Members who are doing a restoration of a car typically start a thread titled something like "My 1968 Restoration" or "my 1956 Custom Pickup Hotrod"... Then the folks put all of their pictures from that work in the thread to keep a running tab on their restoration progress.

Members will need to encourage other members to start "Restoration threads" -- there is no other way for this to work and it is not the responsibility of the mods or myself organize this activity.
2. On the VW forum, many of the members put a link to the rebuild page on the signature line in the profile so that people can click through and find that member's thread easily and it promotes those.

This is an excellent idea and an easy way to keep track of a members restoration thread. It is easily completed with a cut & paste in the members signature line.

I do not think we need a forum/sub-forum or "stickies". As a restoration progresses, the thread will pop back to the top when the restorer adds additional progress posts until it is completed and all the accolades are given.

I like this idea a lot. If you like this idea too, you, will have to encourage the idea of "restoration" threads or it will not happen. (I consider this idea a community activity and not a moderator or admin duty.)

Lets make this happen,
Dennis

I agree 100% and I appreciate the notion of leaving this in the hands of the members! I am 100% in favor of "simple and effective!"

Al

Dennis
Site Admin
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:22 pm

Super A wrote:I agree 100% and I appreciate the notion of leaving this in the hands of the members! I am 100% in favor of "simple and effective!"
Al

Great! Al, do you want to take the lead on this idea and get the ball rolling on it?

Dennis
Image Proud Member

[cos][/cos]

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:49 pm

Let me see what I can come up with....

Al

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:52 pm

Check out my sig line and see what you think. Fair warning: my grandchildren may actually have to be the ones who finish Ol Whitey's restoration, that's how long it's going to take...

Al

Return to “Forum Rules, Suggestions, Feedback & Information”