This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Shop burns as tractor blazes

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Shop burns as tractor blazes

Postby Dennis » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:45 pm

An antique tractor being prepared for display at the Bedford County Fair burst into flames late Monday morning, destroying a building and contents and leaving one man slightly injured.
"It just exploded," said Wayne O'Neal, who owns and was working on the H Farmall tractor at Bob's Used Tractors, U.S. 41A North. "The tractor just caught on fire. I was trying to get it started and it backfired."

http://www.t-g.com/story/1989836.html
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: Shop burns as tractor blazes

Postby Barnyard » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:27 pm

Thanks Dennis! I think there is a lesson to learn here. I had a car back fire and flame up several years ago. Now I either push my tractors out side if I'm not sure what they will do or I take a fire extinguisher off the wall and have it by my side. BOB could be ashes before the firetruck 200' across the road could get out of the firehouse.

As seen from BOB's roof.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:26 pm

When I first started work for the power company, they used to conduct a " Fire School" yearly....You actually had to fight different kinds of fires that you may encounter....Classes lasted for 3/4 days....Of course they petered out as the bean counters took over, but it is absolutely amazing the effects of gasoline and oil and the explosive value of each....Fumes are deadly when ignited....Got a leaky gas line???? Fix it....Battery fumes are right in their also....My uncle worked his whole life running a gas/ service station....Jumped a car with a set of cables....( Ever hear about hooking up to the dead battery first and being away from it when you connect to the "hot battery" ) Well he didn't do that for some reason....Ka :censored: Boom and battery acid got him...Luckily he wasn't left with any permanent scars and his sight was ok....Your absolutely right Dennis And Bill....Sometimes we need reminding of what can happen....Everybody tends to shortcut...Especially when in a hurry...I just did it myself checking for a condition on a radiator...Boiling antifreeze....I knew better to...Or I guess not....Very hot and sticky...And makes your skin come off.... :oops:
In Memory of 58,286

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:36 pm

Oh yeah I could mention that today I was working on my Ferguson and running the tractor on and off while fixing the PTO lift Arms...With the 16 foot garage door open...And the entrance door open for a cross breeze....I thought....My Carbon Monoxide alarm I just installed a month ago went off...Never would have thought it....It is located a goodly distance away from the exhaust pipe which was 6/8 feet from and pointed toward the 16 foot open door...Should have had a hose on it....
Last edited by pickerandsinger on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Memory of 58,286

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:19 pm

Thanks for the warning, Dennis. It's sad to read. I know the owners lost a lot of equipment (that may or may not be properly insured) and certainly hundreds of hours of time to redo those three tractors.

Could happen to any of us...
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:17 pm

I had a similar indecent happen to myself and that "oh crap" :shock: moment when I realized that my fire extinguisher was halfway across the barn. Luckily it was only a minor flair up, but it could have been a lot worse. Never again will I work around carburetors and fuel without having some sort of fire extinguisher within reach.
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

Return to “Safety Forum”