This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What does your tranny gear whine sound like?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: What does your tranny gear whine sound like?

Postby bythepond88 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:41 pm

Not in my experience. That suggests to me that the clutch fingers are not all at the same height.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:49 pm

Not really normal. Sounds like one of your clutch fingers is out of adjustment and rubbing on your TO bearing.
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:41 pm

In addition to what has been said, the TOB should not touch the fingers until one inch of free play has been taken out by pushing the pedal forward. There is a spring under the floorboard that holds the pedal up and also hold the TOB off the fingers an 1/8" if everything is adjusted correctly. If the spring is broken, it'll alow the pedal to fall forward and contact the fingers, which will cause the pedal to "bounce" a bit as the engine spins.

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:57 pm

I have a 48 cub with about 500 hrs total running time. all original,, gears are very quiet.. Some noise in a cub that has a lot of hours on it is ok. but when you feel the noise in the seat means excessive wear. Also who knows what the previous owners done to them inside over the years.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Return to “Farmall Cub”