This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My clutch apears bonded together , when I first start it !

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: My clutch apears bonded together , when I first start it

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:55 am

Lee, I don't think brake cleaner will hurt anything, as long as it's dedicated strictly to the lining material. I'm just not sure you'll be able to get enough of it in there where it counts.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:34 am

Gary Dotson wrote:Lee, I don't think brake cleaner will hurt anything, as long as it's dedicated strictly to the lining material. I'm just not sure you'll be able to get enough of it in there where it counts.

I agree with this, both points. Just to add the more-or-less obvious, block the clutch pedal down to do this operation and leave it that way long enough for the remaining cleaner to evaporate.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:39 am

Jim Becker wrote:
Gary Dotson wrote:Lee, I don't think brake cleaner will hurt anything, as long as it's dedicated strictly to the lining material. I'm just not sure you'll be able to get enough of it in there where it counts.

I agree with this, both points. Just to add the more-or-less obvious, block the clutch pedal down to do this operation and leave it that way long enough for the remaining cleaner to evaporate.

Lee:

To answer your question .. no I haven't used brake cleaner on the clutch, but I haven't had that issue either. However I would defer automatically to both Jim's and Gary's advise on this :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:45 am

It may take a couple applications of penetrating oil to the pilot bushing for it to get sufficiently lubricated.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60436
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub w/fast hitch restored
1948 Cub w/fast hitch (early style depth control) being restored

Postby Lee_Petrie » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:53 am

A big thanks, again to all,
After reading Gary's post , the thought of "strapping down " the clutch pedal, in the disengaged position, quickly came to my mind as well, Jim ! In fact I even strapped it down prior to the pilot bearing oiling attempt ! Here is another thought for all to ponder , during the "cold months" , with no thought of driving the Cub, I have even strapped the clutch pedal down for months at a time, When I finally start it again, I first take off the strap, it works just fine, NO BONDING , if that was the pilot bearing issue , the problem would still be their , after the 3 or 4 months , of storage with strap !!
Maybe my 3/8" of free-play , at the disengaged down position , isn't enought ! But that is my limit , with if fully adjusted in that direction, with the "thick" clutch plate materials ( I felt I took out all the "slop" with the linkage , with this "old style" set-up ) !
Again a BIG , thanks to all, including Rudi, with your "long distance" help !
Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL.

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lee_Petrie » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:55 pm

GREAT NEWS from this end , my clutch "bonding issue" is resolved ! It turned out to be a a dry (binding) pilot bushing bearing , and slow in reacting to the spray oil I applied by the straw method ! The morning start, after the oil treatment , and for the last several days , it has been working just fine , NO moving ahead when started in gear ( with the clutch depressed !
A BIG thanks to everyone for their help, I'm including a "before & after" pictures of my nearly completed project '48 Cub , lites , decals, and depth control lever (early style), still need to be attached !
I so happy to be apart of this Cub Group ! Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:50 pm

Lee:

My, my... that does look like a right pretty shiny Cub :big smile: You done did good :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lee_Petrie » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:58 am

Hi Rudi,
Thanks for the "thumbs-up" , for the shinny paint job, but to be entirely honest , It wasn't my work, I did some "horse trading" in that project, but it was my efforts entirely on the mechanical part of the restoration ! I even exchanged the #2 exhaust valve, with a new Delco Light Plant Exhaust valve , 1/16" larger in dia., to make-up for bad seat damage, caused by taking on water over a 10 years period !
My question to you is ; Sometime back, one of our members , who was with Jeep assembly in Detroit said how he put on the decals , how can I find that post , hopefully attaching mine , easily and straight appearing ? Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:10 am

Lee, I put "worked at jeep" in the search and Big Bill and Rick Prentis popped up. Maybe it was one of them.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lee_Petrie » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:21 am

Thanks Mike,
I did some more research , with those names in mind, it was Rick with a Jan. 2012 post, that was the exact "post", I was looking for ! Thanks for leading me in the correct direction, Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL.

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:41 am

Looks real nice Lee! I see you added a receiver to your fast hitch, makes for a very convenient trailer mover. Glad you got your clutch freed up.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lee_Petrie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:32 am

Hi Ray, I'm going to "coin" a new term, "Farm Tractors" are all around, but for those that live in the city , the Cub becomes a "City Tractor" ! Yes, that receiver hitch comes in handy for moving trailers , but when it is removed, I can install my fabricated mounting stand, for the corn cracker , that I take to 3 to 4 farm shows per year , giving the chicken (bird) feed , free to all, in "pocket size", plastic bags ( shown on the far left side of the attached picture) ! Just another side of the Cub World, Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL.

Tad Petrie
Zip Code: 78124
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub w/fast hitch, inherited from my Dad

Re: My clutch apears bonded together , when I first start it !

Postby Tad Petrie » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:26 am

Good morning, this thread is 7 years old but the tractor and I have what appears to be a chronic clutch problem.

Lee (Dad) passed last December; he had has some health concerns over the last several years. I moved away decades ago only coming home for visits so was not up in the status of his various projects.

It appears the tractor in this thread is in the same state as it was in 2013. The tractor starts and runs well but has a problem with the clutch. Dad had the tractor stored with the clutch pedal depressed, now the clutch pedal has tremendous amounts of free play and just touches the clutch fingers at the end of the pedal movement.

I need to help mom sell off Dad’s Cub and implements and would really like to have the clutch working.

Any advice on how to free up the clutch?

Greenthumbfarms
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 60450
Tractors Owned: 1974 Cub Cadet 1450
1977 Cub Cadet 1650

1950 Farmall Cub (Georgette)
1956 Farmall 230 (Gladys)
1959 Farmall 240 Utility (Heather)
1962 John Deere 4010 Gas with No.45 Loader (Helen)
1966 John Deere 4020 Deisel (Jack)
1975 International Cub (Ozzie)

Postby Greenthumbfarms » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:24 am

Hi Tad! I'm actually from the Joliet area, I live in Coal City now, but we were from Joliet originally, then moved to Plainfield back in the 60s

It sounds like all of the linkages probably have gotten some surface rust and need to be cleaned and lubricated, although I'm far less experienced at this than most of out members.
Secretary with Will County Threshermens Association (Will County, Illinois)
62nd Annual Will County Threshermens gas and steam tractor show July 18-21, 2024 featuring JI Case Steam and gas tractors. All makes welcome
https://www.steamshow.org/

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:55 am

Tad Petrie wrote:Good morning, this thread is 7 years old but the tractor and I have what appears to be a chronic clutch problem.

Lee (Dad) passed last December; he had has some health concerns over the last several years. I moved away decades ago only coming home for visits so was not up in the status of his various projects.

It appears the tractor in this thread is in the same state as it was in 2013. The tractor starts and runs well but has a problem with the clutch. Dad had the tractor stored with the clutch pedal depressed, now the clutch pedal has tremendous amounts of free play and just touches the clutch fingers at the end of the pedal movement.

I need to help mom sell off Dad’s Cub and implements and would really like to have the clutch working.

Any advice on how to free up the clutch?

Clutch adjustment information is in the Owner's Manual. Lee probably has one, but it's on page 56 here (even though yours is a '57): http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20Owner's%20Manuals/McCormick%20Farmall%20Cub%20Operator's%20Manual%2012-20-55/index.html
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”