This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New '54 Cub! (WOOHOO) But...Low Power

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06070
Tractors Owned: '54 Farmall Cub "Betty"

Re: New '54 Cub! (WOOHOO) But...Low Power

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:31 pm

Ah ha! Ever have one of those moments? Well, OK I didn't come up with this "ah-ha" idea but you fine fellers did! I took a better look at the governor. While the engine was cold and not running I traced the linkage from the joint that goes to the carb back to the governor. All seems intact and OK. it moves freely when I give it throttle. I gave the same rod a push with my hand a few inches from the carb to see if the linkage would move freely. No problem (presuming it's supposed to move freely). I observed the spring stretching. No problem. So here I start up ol' Betty (still purrrrring) and while at full throttle and in 1st gear I was able to move slowly enough to be able to look up front by the carb while going up adecent hill. The engine began bogging down but the linkage from the governor didn't budge. I was expecting to see the throttle boost a bit but nada. So ---> :lost:

One point I'd like to make here; my throttle at the steering wheel moves from very low idle at the first tooth to full throttle balls to the wall at the third tooth. I noticed this yesterday but never really thought much about it until now. Somethin's wrong!
She thinks my tractor's sexy...

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:10 pm

Tractor out of gear, blocked or brakes locked, engine running at low idle. Grasp the rod from the governor arm to the carburetor. Pull the rod towards the front of the engine, engine should speed up and almost at the same time the governor should push the rod back towards the carburetor.

It the governor pushes the rod back, governor is working.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:24 pm

It cuts out when I push the rod towards the front of the tractor and I feel no resistance. If I let go of the rod it just stays put. Poor Betty has a busted governor. :(

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:36 pm

Welcome to the forum....Whew, You've been busy :lol: Dave
In Memory of 58,286

Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:52 pm

I take my machinery very seriously...even if I ain't the brightest spark in the block!

Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:05 pm

ScottyD'sdad wrote:If you are free, August 24th, and can get it to Cecil's, we can look it over, for you. (3rd exit, off I90, in NY,) Ed

We won't be able to make it unfortunately. And if I could I'd have to drive Betty as I have no way to tow her (yet). But I'll be looking to change that soon. :{_}:

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:17 pm

Eugene wrote:.... Pull the rod towards the front of the engine, engine should speed up and almost at the same time the governor should push the rod back towards the carburetor.

It the governor pushes the rod back, governor is working.

Just the opposite. Push the rod towards the carb, this will open the throttle plate and speed the engine up, and at the same time, the governor will push back against your hand, moving the lever back towards the front of the tractor to slow the engine back down. Should be quite forceful. Just don't go too far and over speed the engine.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi Calvin, I have a good used governor if you need one, I am just over the border in NY
Tim

Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:29 pm

Well now I'm really confused. Whether I am at idle or full throttle the spring at the governor never "expands." Should I attempt to move the linkage towards the carb (which increases throttle) I can't because there is no play in the spring. Should I attempt to move the linkage away from the carb (which decreases throttle) the spring expands.

In a word: "Oy." :?

Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:31 pm

tst wrote:Hi Calvin, I have a good used governor if you need one, I am just over the border in NY
Tim

I may have to take advantage of that! Let's see what I can find here first. Regardless of the outcome I'll be sure to let you know!

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:40 pm

With the engine running and the throttle lever advanced full, it will pull on the long rod going through the dash, and pull or a lever on the governor. This lever is connected to the governor spring, which will then stretch (expand) out and pull on the output shaft of the governor, which will push the rod going to the carb throttle butterfly increasing the RPM's.
If you then manually pull back (to the rear) the lever going to the carb, it will allow the spring to compress some cause you are helping the spring pull the rod. When you let go, the governor weights will then open back up to push the rod forward slowing the engine back down.
Ideally, the spring and the force of the governor weights being thrown out are equal and opposite to each other no matter what throttle setting. But over time as the spring weakens, the weights will over power it, which then inhibits the engine from reaching full throttle, and slows throttle response.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:47 pm

Calvin:

Suggest you look at this : How To Inspect & Repair A Governor and maybe this one (needs Power Point) - Lurker Carl's Cub Governor Rebuild.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:45 pm

RaymondDurban wrote:With the engine running and the throttle lever advanced full, it will pull on the long rod going through the dash, and pull or a lever on the governor. This lever is connected to the governor spring, which will then stretch (expand) out and pull on the output shaft of the governor, which will push the rod going to the carb throttle butterfly increasing the RPM's.
If you then manually pull back (to the rear) the lever going to the carb, it will allow the spring to compress some cause you are helping the spring pull the rod. When you let go, the governor weights will then open back up to push the rod forward slowing the engine back down.
Ideally, the spring and the force of the governor weights being thrown out are equal and opposite to each other no matter what throttle setting. But over time as the spring weakens, the weights will over power it, which then inhibits the engine from reaching full throttle, and slows throttle response.

IIf the spring weakens, wouldn't it be long/stretched ("saggy") rather than compressed in? The spring has some hefty oomph to it. But the only way to make the spring actually stretch a bit is by pulling the linkage towards the carb by hand regardless of my throttle settings. The engine increases in RPMs for sure, but the governor won't do this for me while under load.

I took the linkage from the steering wheel housing off from the top of the governor and that small lever has maybe 15 degrees of play in it. The spring is so strong it's difficult for me to move that lever to the left (stretching the spring) by hand. I'm not sure if I have to remove the governor.

Sure wish there was someone local who likes to tinker on other people's tractors! :wink:

I think I may need to adjust the linkage and the governor bolts on the body. Luckily there are lots of posts here in the forum that direct me! :D

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:05 pm

Connecticut Calvin wrote:Sure wish there was someone local who likes to tinker on other people's tractors!

Follow Peter's advice and get it to Cecil's in August or October.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:17 pm

Barnyard wrote:
Connecticut Calvin wrote:Sure wish there was someone local who likes to tinker on other people's tractors!

Follow Peter's advice and get it to Cecil's in August or October.

Calvin,
Art Chester comes to mind - he's a CT Cub Guru, and retired - though he keeps himself really busy at Zagray Farm and his own projects.
Send him a PM (artc). He's not too far away from you either.

Many of us like to tinker on tractors but barely have enough time for our own with full time jobs, etc.

We get to a CubFest now and again to get away so we can work on Cubs - ours or someone elses'.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”