This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Final drive? Noise.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Final drive? Noise.

Postby Posco » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:59 pm

I took the Cub for a spin around the block this afternoon and I noticed a very audible grinding, accompanied by the sound of some rattling parts in the left final drive. Gear, bearing? Within the scope of a backyard mechanic with few tools at his disposal?

If it were a car with a hubcap, it would sound like a loose nut rattling around.

I have discovered there is a guy in my area who most feel is competent and trustworthy to work on a beloved Cub. I haven't approached him about it yet.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Final drive? Noise.

Postby Mr E » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:26 pm

My guess would be the bearing in the final. More expert answers will follow shortly.
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:35 pm

Mr E wrote:My guess would be the bearing in the final. More expert answers will follow shortly.

I appreciate your help. As always, there's a wealth of information to be had in just perusing these pages but I couldn't find anything pertaining to diagnosing my problem. I'm reluctant to pull it apart and not have the right tools for the job.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:48 pm

Always try the easiest thing first. Your symptoms are not necessarily consistent with what I am about to recommend, but it will cost you nothing to try. Tighten all the rim to center, center to hub and wheel weight bolts on the rear wheels. Since the left final is bolted directly to the transmission/differential, don't rule them out as the source of the noise. Is this a new noise?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:40 pm

:Dito: to what don said.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:26 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Is this a new noise?

It's a new tractor to me, Don, so I wouldn't know. Other than a few spins around the lawn and the ride today, that's all the time I have on it. I'll try what you mentioned and see if that helps. I'll let you know.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Does the left brake work? This one did work a little, but was making grinding rattling noises. Got quite a surprise when I pulled the final.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:59 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Does the left brake work? This one did work a little, but was making grinding rattling noises. Got quite a surprise when I pulled the final.

Funny that you mention that, John. When i took the tractor for a spin around the block today, I wanted to see if the breaks were spongy so I applied some moderate pressure to the peddles and the left break locked up while the right continued to turn. Some fine tuning required there.

I checked all of the bolts on the rim and hub and couldn't find anything loose so my problem appears deeper.

Return to “Farmall Cub”