This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Generator/Regulator Troubleshooting

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Circle of Safety: Y

Generator/Regulator Troubleshooting

Postby indy61 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:09 am

It appears my gen is only putting out around 6.5 volts.
I followed the steps in the Generator/Regulator Troubleshooting Flow Chart. When I grounded F terminal the ammeter pegged to the left (discharge) side. What would cause this?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Generator/Regulator Troubleshooting

Postby indy61 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:48 am

The wiring diagram I was using shows the green wire at F terminal, mine is the black wire. After grounding the correct wire it shows a charge at ammeter. I guess this points to a bad regulator?

http://www.atis.net/CubFAQ/cubwiringlate.jpg

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:51 am

before replacing the regulator, make sure you have good clean grounds, a bit of rust will cause charging issues
Tim

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:31 pm

Were you reading the same 6.5 volts both at the generator and at the battery? If so that means the generator is putting out enough to close the contacts of the regulator and is charging, though maybe not much. As long as the cutout contacts of the regulator or closed the gen and battery will be the same voltage. If you are sure you grounded the terminal when it went full discharge, either the generator needs polarized, or the ammeter is wired backward. Here is a trouble shooting chart compliments of Farmall Bob.

If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”