This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Radiator neck repair

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
stevey30
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28110

Radiator neck repair

Postby stevey30 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi,new member the forum have been lurking around here for sometime as a guest,have a question about the radiator neck,my cub has been sitting for around 20 years,I am slowly rebuilding it and am almost to the point of firing it up.Sometime over the years the filler neck has seperated from the radiator,about 3/4 of the neck has come loose from the radiator.I am decent at normal soldering(copper water lines)but theradiator looks like brass,do you solder it the same as a copper pipe?Any help would be great and thanks to any and all in advance,have already learned alot from this forum.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60436
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub w/fast hitch restored
1948 Cub w/fast hitch (early style depth control) being restored

Re: Radiator neck repair

Postby Lee_Petrie » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi Steve, Yes, you can solder brass, it is thin , not like forgiving copper plumbing pipes, the heat transfer rate would be different , if it was mine , Not to repeat the same repair over and over again , I would take the entire tractor down to you local radiator repair shop , for a professional , long lasting repair ! Please excuse for my over sight , " WELCOME TO THE FORUM ", their are always many different ways to resolve an issue , but a Propane torch used in plumbing, might easily creat more problems, than repairs being made ,
Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL
Last edited by Lee_Petrie on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:10 pm

TM Tractor sells just the neck if your's is not reuseable: http://www.tmtractor.com/new/co/285fp.htm

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lee_Petrie » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:58 pm

Hi again Stevey,
Please excuse for my oversight , " WELCOME TO THE FORUM ", their are always many different ways to resolve an issue , but a Propane torch, used in plumbing with copper pipes, might easily create more problems, than repairs being made ,
Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL
.[/b]

stevey30
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28110

Postby stevey30 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:39 pm

Thanks for the info,I think I will look into the process more and then maybe give it a try.I enjoy working on it and like to do all my own work.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:28 pm

Steve:

G'day to you and congrats on getting your Cub rebuilt.

There are a number of our members who do their own brass soldering .. All I know is that they use a 500 watt soldering gun with a huge tip on it :shock:

Well if you have been lurking you know what I usually do ..

There are lots of resources for our members and they can be found by following the links below. It is a good idea to spend a little quality time with a :coffee: and read the information below.
Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of the most important resources are Owner's Manuals, Parts Catalogs and Service Manuals. The Cub Manual Server is the home of the jpg versions and the [url=http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php]PDF Manuals[/url] -- well the pdf's of course :wink: Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lee_Petrie » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:35 am

Hi Steve,
In reply to your post, I personally admire you efforts, by restoring it yourself ! I too , manage to repair about 98% of my Cub's problems, but when it came to replacing the over-flow tube on the radiator , on my latest restoration , I ask my friend, Art, to come over with his antique "heavy Copper ended" ( non-electric or gas ) solder iron ! A true man of knowledge , 60 years of experience , the correct solder , flux and the exact heat to make the beautiful solder joint !
I probably solder, to some degree , nearly everyday, with my antique tube radio restorations, but I'm equally quick to realize what disasters MIGHT result , in a wrong judgement call !
The best of luck at your end, I know one way or the other , you'll have a long lasting repair , and a beautiful restored tractor ! Lee

Return to “Farmall Cub”