This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Thoughts about '52 Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jason G
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21791
eBay ID: zebra305
Tractors Owned: '52 Cub

Re: Thoughts about '52 Cub

Postby Jason G » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:08 am

Welllp, went and looked at her yesterday. Brakes are the biggest issue, doesn't seem to have any that work. No smoke on start, engine purrs like a kitten. Got to drive her for over an hour, mowed some grass and cycled through all the gears, no issues there. Without the help from here I would have been totally lost. Her owner was more than helpful, and a fantastic guy, we have quite a bit in common. I offered 1800.
The proud papa of a '52!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:48 pm

Let's see what he does. Brakes are not all that difficult to fix/replace.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:59 pm

Try to value implements, subtract from total price, that's tractor value . If you need them, good, if not sell. Look at prices of needed implements. This gives you a better idea of the package offered.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:21 pm

To me, from the looks of it and your assessment of it from the test drive, $1800 for the tractor and implements sounds like a decent deal.

Were there any major leaks from the tractor? (Front or rear main seals, etc). The brakes most probably have oil soaked into the brake linings and on the drum. If the linings have good material left on them, the oil can be burned off until the brakes are sparkly white and reused. It's a good weekend project to do that job. While you are in there, it is a good time to clean up the inside and redo the inner and outer differential seal...while you have it apart...

Good luck and I hope you come home with it!!
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Jason G
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jason G » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:12 am

One HECK of a decent chap he is. Willing to help with some of the fixins (advice, information) and willing to let me pay on it while I go LOL. (We settled on 1800). The wife says "Well, looks like we are getting a tractor, you guys bonded".

No, no major leaks at ALL. And like I said, I drove her about an hour (mowing grass).

I did/have been, looking at implement pricing. And I need both a blade AND a mower.

Oh, there is a drawbar included, just wasn't in the pics.

No cracks in the block or anywhere else that I could see.

No, the mower deck I don't think is a Woods.

I am desperately trying not to get overly excited LOL.
The proud papa of a '52!

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:28 am

It's like a kid at Christmas! Glad to hear that you are happy with the tractor. If you feel that you paid a fair price and the seller does too, then it is all good.

When fixing the brakes, since you are in there, it will be a good idea to still change those differential seals. Doesn't cost much and then you will know it is one thing you can put in the "done" column!
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:02 am

Jason:

The mower is definitely not a Woods, nor is it a Danco or any other one that I have seen over the years on the forum. It is very similar to the IH Danco C-3 Rotary Mower but the difference is primarily the skids. Any information you can share with us on this mower will be appreciated :!: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jason G
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jason G » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:08 pm

As soon as I know something on it...you will. The current owner bought it from another fella (who added things....and didn't help the ole girl much). Next time I go out I'll get better pics and hopefully more info. Brakes def. need replacing though.
The proud papa of a '52!

Jason G
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jason G » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:22 pm

Welp, I first want to thank every one on this forum for the help and encouragement. It gave me the confidence to know what to look for and be a better buyer. I pulled the trigger on the Cub, and she was delivered yesterday. First thing on the agenda is replacing the battery (6V). Directly after that, brakes. Now, thanks to the forum, I know a couple things, first of all that the brakes can get oil/crud on 'em, so check. I put my hand inside the slot and felt the brake drum....came out covered in oil, etc. So I'm thinking that once I pull 'em, a good cleaning might just solve the issue. Any chemical suggestions? I don't have a torch to burn it off. Scrubbing?

I'm going to be in the market (sooner rather than later) for:

Battery box
Tool box and correct tools
New (correct) seat (Would it be correct to put a seat on this that has arms/back support? )
Rear light
The proud papa of a '52!

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.

Postby Papa's Cub » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:32 am

Jason you're headed in the right direction.....seeking more knowledge about a Cub before buying. My cub, a 1966 we named Bonnie Lou, cost me $900.00 and come with a 42" Danco mower. A friend of mine picked it up for me at an auction. When he called with the year and cost I was more than elated. When I first saw it I wished I had went to the auction with him, because, I probably wouldn't have brought her home. In the last year I've rebuilt the hydraulic pump and hydraulic block assy, replaced the control rod, replaced both front wheel bearings and seals, replaced the generator with a new alternator, coil, starter switch, ign. switch, incl. the related wiring, amp meter, clutch insp. cover, and purchased 2 fenders. Next project will be the brakes and later the lights. I recently bought a 1976 cub in great condition w/ woods 59 mower, turn plow w/depth adj., frt. and rear cultivators for $2200.00. In retrospect, the latest cub is by far the best buy. So remember, there are plenty of great buys out there, look, be cautious and good luck. Hope this helps a little, Papa.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

Jason G
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jason G » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:34 am

It does, thanks!

In playing with her last night, put on a new battery, and solved that problem. Now on to the bigger issue, the PTO throttle is LONG gone, replaced by something else entirely (long screw/nuts/washers) that is no longer staying in place. It *was* being held in place by a bungee cord. I've went ahead and pulled the trigger on a new assembly, and am going to attempt an install this weekend. Prior to that, of course, I'll be looking at all the manuals and info I can find.

And, of course, the brakes are next on the hit parade.

Fun! LOL. Mower works fine when the PTO engages. Cuts like a dream.
The proud papa of a '52!

Return to “Farmall Cub”