This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rebuilding Hydraulic Pump?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rebuilding Hydraulic Pump?

Postby Dale Finch » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:38 am

Eoghan wrote:use the stubbiest 1/4 inch drive socket I could find + a long extension

I forgot to mention that in addition to using a wobbly extension, I ground down the socket so that it just fit the bolt head. That socket is now in my "Specialty Tools" drawer!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eoghan
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14103
Tractors Owned: 1955 farmall cub w/ fast hitch
Implements:
fast hitch moldboard plow
fast hitch disc harrow
front blade
Danco c-3 mower

Postby Eoghan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:19 pm

Dale Finch wrote:I forgot to mention that in addition to using a wobbly extension, I ground down the socket so that it just fit the bolt head. That socket is now in my "Specialty Tools" drawer!

Brilliant! :beer: :beer: :beer:

DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

Postby DonMountain » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:13 pm

Unbelievable! :{_}: I drained out the oil from the oil pan and bought a cheap small round magnet from the hobby store and put it on the end of a piece of copper wire and it took me all of about 15 minutes of fishing around inside of the oil pan through the oil drain plug hole to get both the washer and the nut. :beer: Now I have the hydraulic pump on the bench slit apart after taking the bolts out of it. But my wife complained so much about the tall grass that I broke down and took the belly dozer blade off my Farmall Super C and mounted the 6' finish mower deck and went to mowing with it. Hard to get that one under the trees at the edge of the grass though. So, when I get done mowing the last several acres with that today I will continue with the hydraulic pump rebuild on the Cub. I do have a slight line of wear where the O-ring fits on the input shaft. I am going to try to smooth that up some with some crocus cloth to see what I can do with it. Otherwise I guess the pump has to be replaced. And the local dealer quoted me a price of $650 for the pump. :shock:
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:39 pm

and that is without the gear and nut and washer :D
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:25 pm

mountain4don wrote:Unbelievable! :{_}: I drained out the oil from the oil pan and bought a cheap small round magnet from the hobby store and put it on the end of a piece of copper wire and it took me all of about 15 minutes of fishing around inside of the oil pan through the oil drain plug hole to get both the washer and the nut. :beer: Now I have the hydraulic pump on the bench slit apart after taking the bolts out of it. But my wife complained so much about the tall grass that I broke down and took the belly dozer blade off my Farmall Super C and mounted the 6' finish mower deck and went to mowing with it. Hard to get that one under the trees at the edge of the grass though. So, when I get done mowing the last several acres with that today I will continue with the hydraulic pump rebuild on the Cub. I do have a slight line of wear where the O-ring fits on the input shaft. I am going to try to smooth that up some with some crocus cloth to see what I can do with it. Otherwise I guess the pump has to be replaced. And the local dealer quoted me a price of $650 for the pump. :shock:

That long, huh....? :wink:
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:14 pm

A thin "speedy sleeve" can be bought for those pump shafts from what I have heard. Don't know where you'd get one, or what exactly to ask for; but I would definitely try that before spending $600 plus on a pump.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

WLM Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37801
eBay ID: bill6883
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub, 52 Cub, 57 Cub,71 MTD, Unico, Another 71 MTD Unico, 93 Craftsman, GT 6000, 97 Yard Machines and more.

Postby WLM Cub » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi,Dale Finch, The speedy sleevs are available through O'Rileys or NAPA stores around here {Tn]. Also there are a few on E-Bay, one rebuilt for 135.00 Buy it now. Later, WLM Cub

53cubman
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 35758

Postby 53cubman » Sun May 03, 2020 11:16 am

Hi Guys,

Found this thread after noticing a missing hyd. pump shaft jam nut and washer (probably now in the oil pan).

The jam nut is reasonably priced but the washer is approx. $40. Wow!
So in looking around I found this: Nylstop nut (good temp - up to 284 degrees - and chemical resistance to oil). http://www.afssimmonds.net Unfortunately. looks like it may come only in metric. But I suspect SAE is out there somewhere.

So I have two questions: 1.What do you think about using a nylon-like lined nut as an alternative? 2. Do you think the missing nut was the cause of hyd. fluid in my oil pan?

Thanks!

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun May 03, 2020 11:34 am

Please note, the original post is almost 7 years old. While it is likely to get responses, the moderators would prefer you start a new topic.

Forum rule 4-h states: Necro's are threads/posts that are more than one year since the last posted message. Resurrecting old topics is discouraged and members should create a new topic, rather than resurrect an old one.

Posting to topics older than one year will likely get your post and the topic locked from further discussion. The simple solution is create a new topic.

If you are unfamiliar with the group rules, please review them here app.php/rules

This post is now locked to prevent further posting
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”