This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

building some discs

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: building some discs

Postby gitractorman » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:50 pm

That's pretty much exactly what I had in mind. I'd use some angle iron instead of those rods, maybe leave the rods in place and run angle iron from the ends back towards the hitch. The rods won't take much abuse, and you're going to have a lot of pull out on the ends of the disks, especially if one grabs a root or a rock. Looks like a perfect setup for a Cub and they should work great!
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:13 pm

Let it float, use weight for down pressure, or at least a spring cushioned rod. Looking good. Don't know but shouldn't the wear surfaces on the inside disc be very close or touching?
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Postby gusbratz » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:26 pm

TJG wrote:A very nice project.

Watch when you turn the tractor while the disks are in the ground. It is hard to tell from the photos how far behind the tractor the disk is, but if they sway side to side much they could cut into the rear tires.

Todd

it cant turn because the disc is fixed with no side to side swing pivot, maybe i am missing how the 23a worked but i thought that it was fixed so thats how i made mine. sort of like a plow i plan going in straigth rows like how you plow overlapping 1/2 on each row to flip the dirt back and forth. i am going to try putting the pins back in the drawbar so it can't swing up and down and put a chain from the lift arm all the way back to the c clamp ans see how it lifts. may not have enough power that way because i still have to add weight boxes and disc cleaners to the assembly.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity Conquest

Postby gitractorman » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:25 am

Thought a little more about this and came up with a few ideas for you. The pic below is poorly done, but all I was able to do with the lousy software on this computer. Basically, I took the double upright you have going to the rockshaft, and laid it down, back to the disks. Then install two angle iron bars from near the outside of the disks, back to the drawbar. You may want to do a single bar across the top of the drawbar, with holes to mount it to the drawbar, then attach all 3 of these bars to that single bar, to make it easier to hitch up. Doing this will keep the disks ridgid behind the tractor, and will keep it from swinging.

Then, I'd use a chain down to the drawbar, and a second chain back to the back of the disks. You may need a turnbuckle on the rear chain, as this will now set the angle of the disks and the turnbuckle will let you have some adjustment in the length. I would leave the drawbar unpinned, and use it as the lower rockshaft, so you can raise/lower the disks with the upper rockshaft.

Like I said, just my thoughts. Here's my lousy markup of your picture.

Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Postby gusbratz » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:34 am

well I installed the cleaners and moved the angle iron uprights back and welded them solid, then I put 2 gussets of 1" box steel on them. I ran a chain from the back under a bolt up to the lifting arm, it lifted nice and even. then I tried it out in some sod where my winter wheat was this spring. because the draw bar is lower than the frame of the discs the tractor is pulling down on the center of the main beam of the discs, this causes the center to come up and forward while the outside edges to come down. long story short the discs only cut on the outside. so I tried the solid top link. it is strange to use because you are putting down pressure on the disc and it is sort of like using the grader blade. you have to constanly be raising and lowering the touch control to keep the tires from spinning. Guess I will have to try it in some plowed ground this fall and see if it works better. so far not impressed, little cub spun tires a lot with this. may have to convert it to 3pt and pull it with my case with a ton of weight on it.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity Conquest

Postby gitractorman » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:10 am

Unfortunately, you've got a couple of things working against your Cub. The tires look ok, but you need to have the wheel weights installed. The disks you're pulling are a real load for a Cub. It may not look like it, but disks are a real chore to pull. With yours mounted solid, so you're putting down pressure on the disks, you are actually lessening your traction because some of your down force is lifting up on the tractor (for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction if anyone remembers high-school physics).

I think I would try to avoid putting down pressure on them from the tractor, and just pull them to let them dig in. In fresh sod it will take a couple of passes. On turned soil, I'll bet that they will cut just fine.

Return to “Farmall Cub”