This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Value of a parts cub?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
69ranger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 67357
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub, 1952 Cub, 1953 Cub, 1946 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall M, 1956 IH 130, 1979 IH 140, 1959 Farmall 240.
Several Brand X Green tractors that sound strange when they run.
1969 F-100 fully restored, 1969 F 100 original paint, 1973 F 100, 50 K original miles all original, 1978 F250 repainted, 1978 Bronco, 1967 Mustang, 1973 Mach ! Mustang.
Several single cylinder Honda motorcycles from the early 70's. Adding more junk all the time.

Value of a parts cub?

Postby 69ranger » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:12 am

I looked at what I believe is a 1950 cub a couple nights ago. Serial plate gone but I found some T's in the casting numbers.

The bad stuff:

1) It has a freeze broken front bolster that is leaking.
2) Broken gear shifter lever.
3) Broken off stub of the exhaust pipe in the manifold. I think it could be removed and the threads cleaned up.
4) The usual leaks at all the seals.
5) Leaking hydraulic lift
6) Brakes are shot
7) Everything under the hood is covered with black smudge, due to the exhaust exiting under the hood.
8 From the looks of the black smudge on everything the engine is pretty loose.
9) It is a non runner, and I am worried the engine may have been run hot due to the leaking water issue.
10) Converted to 12 volt alternator, with the usual butchered up, have baked wiring job.
11) About ¾ turn of slack in the steering. Most of the slack seems to be in the tie-rods.

The good stuff:

1) It has a very good looking set of firestone rear tires. Lots of tread and only a few little weather cracks.
2) The rear rims are good as well.
3) The rest of the tractor does not look to have any broken cast iron parts.
4) The Front tires are very good.
5) Sheet metal is pretty nice, but it has had a later style grill installed. I think they call these grills a 13 bar.
6) Engine is not stuck and seems to have decent compression.
7) It comes with a Plow and the lever. Well worn but its all there.
8 There is a set of wheel weights. Not installed but they go with it.
9) There is a rear Draw bar mounted on the tractor.

That about all the good and bad. I knew when I saw the broken bolster that was a bad deal.
I am always looking for a cub to buy, and was thinking about this one for a parts tractor.
The owner was asking $1000 for it, but after I pointed out the problems and the costs to repair he came to
$600.
What do you guy think? Still to high? Probably will not fix it up but keep it for a parts tractor.

THanks for the input. Sorry for the extra long post.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Value of a parts cub?

Postby Rudi » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:25 am

Actually, that is a pretty good Cub if you can get it for $600.00 and if you choose not to fix it ... then there should be lots of good parts.

From what you describe the only real part that needs to be replaced is the front bolster - about $100.00 to $150.00 for that. Gear shift lever usually can be welded but are available for a reasonable amount of money either through our members or on :eBay:. If there are coolant issues well if you are lucky a head gasket might be all it needs or at the worst maybe a head. Those are relatively inexpensive. BtDt already. Most expensive part of that was having to get 3 head gaskets :roll:

At $600.00 that should be in your barn by now ifn it was me and I had access to that deal. Pretty fair especially since the engine isn't stuck and has good compression :idea:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:33 am

Still to high, considering all the unknowns and broken or damaged parts. Parts tractor, $300- to $400- price range.

If you are planing on making this a working tractor - not worth it at any price. Cheaper to purchase a Cub in working condition.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:47 am

I have to agree with Eugene, $300 minimum and $500 max is about the going rate around here for a non runner. The good tires may be a plus, but may not be enough to offset the price.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

69ranger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 67357
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub, 1952 Cub, 1953 Cub, 1946 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall M, 1956 IH 130, 1979 IH 140, 1959 Farmall 240.
Several Brand X Green tractors that sound strange when they run.
1969 F-100 fully restored, 1969 F 100 original paint, 1973 F 100, 50 K original miles all original, 1978 F250 repainted, 1978 Bronco, 1967 Mustang, 1973 Mach ! Mustang.
Several single cylinder Honda motorcycles from the early 70's. Adding more junk all the time.

Postby 69ranger » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:26 am

Thanks fellows,

I think we are on the same page, on the price. I actually offered $500 when I was getting in the truck, and I am kind of glad he didn't accept my offer. I certainly agree that a non running fixer-up-er is more work and surprises than I am up for.
I would not mind having this tractor sitting in the barn to rob parts off of. together Dad and I have 7 cubs and not one parts tractor. But that said we don't have anything needing parts at this time.
I think I will let him sit on it for a while. His wife was ready to sell and get it out of the yard. Sometimes women have a way of altering a man's thinking. If she applies a little pressure, he may call in a few days or weeks.
Thanks again.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:37 pm

If it were close by here I would own it !
Boss [ will pay a fair price ] Hog
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:42 am

Up here and in Maine and other areas of the NorthEast, $600.00 for a Cub in that conditions is a more than fair price. I have seen junkers .. I mean real trash - welded bolsters, finals, torque tubes etc., and they were going for north of 2 grand. As I have always said ..

The value of a Cub is usually dependent on a few variables such as:
  1. Location
  2. Condition
  3. Accessories/Implements/Extras
  4. Availability
  5. Desirability
  6. Price you are willing to pay
  7. Price a buyer is willing to accept

All are important to some degree depending on what part of the country you live in. The region you are in plays a large part in determining value especially in regards to Availability (are they common in your area?) and Desirability (are they highly sought after either by those wanting to work them or show them?).

Condition is important, Paint is not all that critical but condition of the tin-work, rubber and of course the power-train are critical in a large amount of cases. If the Cub does not run and you cannot start it, then it becomes priced as a parts Cub. If it doesn't have Touch Control/aka hydraulics then it is usually not worth as much as one with hydraulics. Are the tires loaded? Is that a plus or a minus .. that will either devalue or value the Cub appropriately. If the Cub runs then it is worth more.

Parts Cub - $100.00 to $600.00 max
Running Cub - $700.00 to $1,500.00 max
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”