This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Long over due

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
stevey30
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28110

Long over due

Postby stevey30 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:14 am

Have a question but first let me give you a little background.I have a 49 Cub that I have owned for 10 years,my grandfather purchased it in 1952 and used on his 60 acre farm till the late 80's.The Cub was parked because of low compression on cylinders 2 and 3,he passed away in 1997 never repairing it.I owned it for 3 years before starting to work on it,the low compression was due to dirt between head gasket and top of block,due to poor workmanship replacing a headgasket.I completely rebuilt engine from top to bottom,due to new baby building a house and working 70 hours a week the Cub has sat since 2007.June of 2013 I finally started reassembly of my PROJECT and am to the point of first start up.I have it back together,primed oil pump,checked timing,rebuilt carb,have everything wired,made makeshift gas tank,have fire extinguisher,coolant topped off, and am ready for start up minus the battery.My question is do I need to do anything else before firing it up.
I have done many engines but this one has me extremely nervous,I guess because it was my grandfathers,plus it has not been run in 25 years,just want to check myself before pulling the starter rod.Thanks in advance for any info,I will try to get some pics and video of the start up,just wished he could be here to pull the rod himself.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Re: Long over due

Postby beaconlight » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:50 am

Sounds as if you are ready
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:24 pm

The only thing I can think of would be too remove oil filter cover nad spark plugs and spin it with starter till you see oil start coming out of the hole in the front side of filter housing. if it has a touch control make sure it is full of fluid.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

stevey30
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28110

Postby stevey30 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:05 pm

Thanks,didn't even think about touch control,I will get it topped off,

Return to “Farmall Cub”