This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Filling Hydraulic System after pump rebuild

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

Filling Hydraulic System after pump rebuild

Postby DonMountain » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:50 pm

After much help from everybody on this site, I have the hydraulic pump all rebuilt from parts obtained from TM, and looking at the rebuilding instructions here. I have it all bolted back on the Cub (1959 International Cub Lo-Boy with fast hitch), with the pump hand filled with hytran oil as I put it together, and filled after bolted up and the gears turned over by hand to observe it's pumping action and get all the air out of it. I see that there are two allen wrench type plugs on the plate that bolts to the side of the hydraulic controller box. Each one in line with the incoming and outgoing oil tubes from the control box to the pump. These appear to be a means of filling the pump feed tubes with hytran before starting the engine? My question is, whats the proper method of filling the system with hytran before starting the engine? I haven't filled the reservoir yet either. :lost:
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Filling Hydraulic System after pump rebuild

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:53 pm

If all goes well, just fill the reservoir, and with the tractor idling and the fill plug installed but loose, cycle the lever several times. That is the way it is supposed to work anyway.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:39 pm

John has you covered.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:35 am

The plugs are actually pressure test ports for troubleshooting iirc.

When I filled mine last spring after a complete rebuild I simply cycled the lever back and forth slowly and kept topping off the reservoir until the system was full and working.

DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

Postby DonMountain » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:53 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:The plugs are actually pressure test ports for troubleshooting iirc.

When I filled mine last spring after a complete rebuild I simply cycled the lever back and forth slowly and kept topping off the reservoir until the system was full and working.

Thanks again everybody for your help on rebuilding this hydraulic pump. It worked as you told me. Filled the tank. Put the oil and filter in the engine. Turned it over several times with the crank starter and watched the mower deck move down since I had pushed the lever down. And then fired it up and it worked immediately. Worked the leaver several times to work the hydraulics back and forth and filled up the tank and she is off and mowing again. :thanx: :thanx: :mrgreen: :beer:
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M

Return to “Farmall Cub”